Louis Vuitton Damier Azur Braided Croisette Rose Bag
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Louis Vuitton Ivorie EPI Leather Passy GM Handbag SatchelBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZA chic and sophisticated Louis Vuitton bag to carry all your daily essentials. This Louis Vuitton Ivorie Epi Leather Passy GM Bag features a roomy interior with three separate compar...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- Gucci White Pebbled Leather Twill Top Handle BagBy GucciLocated in Scottsdale, AZWe can always count on Gucci for styles that we love now and later. This versatile Gucci Leather Twill Top Handle Bag is so soft and lightweight and will fit all of your daily essent...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Fendi Peekaboo Large Canvas HandbagBy FendiLocated in Scottsdale, AZFendi Peekaboo Handbag Canvas Large is one of Fendi best known designs exuding a luxurious yet minimalist appearance. Crafted in off white canvas, this versatile and stylish satchel ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags
- Kieselstein-Cord Crocodilehall Gator Flip Lock MediumBy KIESELSTEIN-CORD, Barry Kieselstein-Cord 1Located in Scottsdale, AZWe are offering this Kieselstein-Cord Crocodilehall handbag. Crafted in Italy, this bag is made with a combination of their Gator logo canvas and leather exterior with gold-tone hard...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton 2020 Reverse Monogram Vanity PMBy Louis Vuitton, Nicolas GhesquièreLocated in Scottsdale, AZFor Spring-Summer 2020, Nicolas Ghesquière has dreamed up a modern-day ode to Louis Vuitton’s travel heritage: an update of the Nice vanity kit as a trendy ...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Escada Y2K Eluna Purse Mint Blue HandbagBy EscadaLocated in Scottsdale, AZIntroducing the Escada 1990s Eluna Mint Blue Leather Hobo Shoulder Bag - a masterpiece in vibrant elegance! This stunning hobo bag boasts the most beautiful mint blue leather, comple...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Lulu Guinness Face Motif Raffia Woven BasketBy Lulu GuinessLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate your style with this Lulu Guinness Face Motif Raffia Woven Basket circa 1990s! This adorable mini top handle handbag is a true fashion gem, featuring an eye-catching face mot...Category
1990s Chinese Top Handle Bags
- Exceptional Hermès Kelly bag 28 returned in navy box leatherBy HermèsLocated in CANNES, FRExceptional Hermès Kelly bag 28 returned in navy box leather, gold-plated metal trimming, shoulder strap removable in marine box leather, handle...Category
1970s French Top Handle Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON White Multicolour Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Judy PMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON White Multicolour Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Judy PM Serial Number: TH3059 Age (Circa): 2009 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag Authenticity Details: Date St...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Monogram Speedy 35By Louis VuittonLocated in Indianapolis, INThe Louis Vuitton Monogram Speedy 35 is a quintessential and iconic handbag that embodies the timeless elegance and luxury. With its classic design and spacious interior, it has rema...Category
1990s European Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.