Vintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Baroque Metal Embellish Jewelled Velvet Bag
About the Item
The iconic French fashion designer, whose body of work includes handbags and purses, evening dresses, jackets and lots more, has always favored theater over fashion. He has long integrated corsets and bustles into his work, drawing on diverse cultures and citing epic historical dramas as inspirations. Today he is creating opera costumes, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that his colorful and voluminous garments captured the excesses and defined the extravagant frivolity of the 1980s as well as the sensuality and boldness of the 1990s.
Lacroix studied art history at the University of Montpellier and museum studies at École du Louvre and the Sorbonne in Paris. He aspired to become a museum curator or costume designer but instead entered the world of fashion, specifically haute couture, with the support of his now-wife Françoise Rosenthiel, who helped get his sketches to Hermès. Lacroix was offered an assistant job at the legendary luxury brand and later worked as a designer at the House of Patou in 1981.
Lacroix’s career flourished and his profile soared from then on, as he established his own label in 1987, using layers of fabric and consistently clashing prints in his designs for opulent pouf skirts, vibrant floral maxi day dresses as well as jewelry and watches that commanded attention. He created a ready-to-wear line for Italian manufacturer Genny and dressed dancers at the American Ballet Theatre company.
Lacroix became the artistic director of Italian fashion house Emilio Pucci in 2002, and, over time, he continued to secure work in the fields of theater, opera and other performance art, designing costumes for a range of stage productions. Alongside designs by Stella McCartney, Karl Lagerfeld and others, Madonna wore a corset during her 2004 “Re-Invention World Tour” that was created for her by Lacroix.
Today, the maison founded by the designer in 1987 is owned by the Falic Fashion Group, but Lacroix continues to design womenswear for brands such as Desigual as well as for the stage. His larger-than-life aesthetic has also been translated into a range of accessories and fragrances as well as various interior furnishings such as tableware and household linens. Lacroix has completed interior design projects at a number of hotels and has partnered with the likes of Christofle and other firms over the years. In whatever form it takes, the sumptuousness and glamour of a Lacroix design is unmistakable.
Find a range of vintage Christian Lacroix clothing, jewelry and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Navy Blue Kelly BagBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Navy Blue Kelly Bag Measurements: Height: 11 inches (including handle) Height: 7 inches (without the handle) Width: 9 inche...Category
20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Leather Trapezoid Hard Box BagBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Gaultier JuniorLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Leather Trapezoid Hard Box Bag Measurements: Height: 7 inches (17.78 cm) Top Width: 12 inches (30.48 cm) Bottom Width: 10 inches (25.4 cm) Depth: 3...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box Bag Measurements: Height: 7 2/8 inches (top of heart to bottom) Width: 7 5/8 inches Depth:...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage 1960s KORET ITALY Gold Woven Large Clutch BagBy KoretLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1960s KORET ITALY Gold Woven Large Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 9.84 inches (25 cm) Width: 11.41 inches (29 cm) Button: 2.36 inches (6 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic KORET ITALY. - Large gold braided and woven straw clutch bag...Category
1960s Italian Clutches
- Vintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Black Raw Silk Passementerie Tassel Clutch BagBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Black Raw Silk Passementerie Tassel Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 5.31 inches (13.5 cm) Width: 7.67 inches (19.5 cm) Tassel: 11.81 inches (30 cm) S...Category
1990s Italian Clutches
- Vintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder BagBy Pierre CardinLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder Bag Measurements: Height: 5 7/8 inches Width: 7 4/8 inches Depth: 1 inch Strap: 39 4/8 inches Fe...Category
1970s French Shoulder Bags
- Exceptional Hermès Kelly Bag Tricolor Alligator Ghw 32 cm RARE Exc CondBy HermèsLocated in ., FRAmazingly Gorgeous Authentic Hermès Kelly Bag Extremely Rare, this bag is a collector piece, a must-have ! Made in France Stamp T in circle for 1990 Made of Alligator and Golden ...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Judith Leiber Python Structured Frame Bag with Trio of AccessoriesBy Judith LeiberLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis gorgeous and rare Judith Leiber Python Structured Frame Handle Bag is crafted with luxurious genuine natural python and features two top hand...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Exceptional 1920's Czech Egyptian Revival Jeweled Mesh PurseLocated in New York, NYWonderful, large 1920's Czech Jeweled Mesh Purse of the largest scale and finest quality relined by famed, Art Bag of Madison Ave. NY. Jeweled frame with faux lapis pate de verre mol...Category
1920s Czech Evening Bags and Minaudières
- S/S 2005 Versace by Donatella Micro/Mini Ocean Themed Duffle BagBy Gianni Versace, Donatella VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an adorable micro Versace Boston style bag, designed by Donatella Versace. The same print is seen on the S/S 2005 runway on looks ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Fendi Monogram Fabric Brown Gold Leather Top Handle Satchel Small Mini Spy BagBy FendiLocated in Chicago, ILFabric Leather Gold tone hardware Woven lining Zipper closure Made in Italy Handle drop 6" Measures 12.5" W x 7" H x 5" D 100% authenticity guaranteed by NEWFOUND LUXURYCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags
- Edwardian Jeweled Pale Green Trinity Plate Needlepoint Minaudière Handbag, 1900sLocated in Tucson, AZEqually as coveted by the well-bred Victorienne as by the gin-baby flapper, Trinity Plate reticules and minaudières were THE accessory of choice for fash...Category
Early 1900s American Evening Bags and Minaudières
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery