- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Maitland-Smith Faux Skin Leather Wrapped Box with Silver Tone Metal Lizard
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 9.5 in. (24.13 cm)Width: 13.88 in. (35.26 cm)Depth: 9.38 in. (23.83 cm)
- StyleHollywood Regency (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1980s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Excellent Condition, only a few minor flea size nicks.
- Seller LocationSt. Louis, MO
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU820226756432
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$20 Standard Parcel Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 6-11 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: St. Louis, MO
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- By Piero Fornasetti, Maitland SmithLocated in St. Louis, MOIn the style of Fornasetti, this rare hand painted faux malachite tole box, has whimsical brass molded feet wear...Category
Vintage 1980s Philippine Hollywood Regency Decorative BoxesMaterials
- By J. Antony RedmileLocated in St. Louis, MOUnique footed ostrich egg box by J. Antony Redmile, accented with silver plate trim work, topped with an egg-sha...Category
Vintage 1970s British Hollywood Regency Decorative BoxesMaterials
Malachite, Silver Plate
- By Chase Brass and Copper Company, Rockwell KentLocated in St. Louis, MORockwell Kent (American, 1882-1971) Rare Bacchus Art Deco copper cigarette box for Chase Chrome & Brass company,...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco Decorative BoxesMaterials
- By Maison BaguèsLocated in St. Louis, MOMid-Century Round Italian silver plated faux bamboo with white Italian marble top and splayed legs. Arthur Elr...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Hollywood Regency Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Marble, Silver Plate
You May Also Like
Vintage 1980s Philippine Modern Jewelry Boxes
20th Century American Boxes
Vintage 1970s Thai Decorative Boxes
21st Century and Contemporary American Mid-Century Modern Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1980s Philippine Hollywood Regency Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1980s Philippine Regency Decorative Boxes
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Decorative Boxes
Early 2000s Philippine Modern Decorative Boxes
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery