- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Marble and Brass Picture Frame by Designer Maitland Smith, ca. 1980s
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Designer)
- Similar toKarl Springer (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 9 in (22.86 cm)Width: 7 in (17.78 cm)Depth: 0.5 in (1.27 cm)
- StylePost-Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 20th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. - Very Good condition as shown in images with no chips noted.
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1314229412652
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Marble and Brass Picture Frame by Designer Maitland Smith, ca. 1980sBy Maitland Smith, Artisan Collection LTDLocated in New York, NYA beautiful '80s marble and brass picture frame by designer Maitland-Smith, circa late-20th century, 1980s. Frame is rectangular/octagonal in shape, and marble in shades of salmon pi...Category
Late 20th Century Philippine Post-Modern Picture FramesMaterials
Marble, Stone, Brass
- Picture Frame in Burl Wood and BrassLocated in New York, NYA beautiful picture frame in burl wood and a dark blue shagreen-esque embossed back, finished with brass hardware. Frame can sit both horizontal or vertical as demonstrated in images...Category
2010s American Picture FramesMaterials
Brass$220 Sale Price20% Off
- Italian Modern Blue Enamel and Gold Brass Picture FrameLocated in New York, NYA beautiful Italian Modern blue enamel and brass picture frame, circa late-20th century, Italy. This blue enamel frame has a modern or minimalist design and a rich backing in a high-...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Modern Picture FramesMaterials
- Italian Yellow Leather and Suede Picture FrameLocated in New York, NYA beautiful Italian light-yellow leather picture frame with suede backing, circa early 21st century. Frame was made in Italy for Barneys New York as marked on back, please see image ...Category
2010s Italian Modern Picture FramesMaterials
- Italian Red Burgundy Suede and Snakeskin Picture Frame, circa 1970sLocated in New York, NYA '70s Modern Italian red burgundy suede and snakeskin picture frame, circa 1970s, Italy. Frame can sit in two positions; vertical (as shown) or horizontal. Picture/image area: 4.5" ...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Picture FramesMaterials
Animal Skin, Suede
- Mackenzie-Childs Art Glass Gold Vase, ca. 1980sBy Mackenzie ChildsLocated in New York, NYA beautiful authentic designer art glass vase by designers' MacKenzie-Childs, circa 1980s, New York. A rare piece, hand-painted with a blue and orange stripe at base and gold animal-...Category
Late 20th Century American Post-Modern VasesMaterials
- Maitland-Smith Tessellated Marble Travertine Stone Picture FrameBy Maitland SmithLocated in Atlanta, GAHandsome picture photo frame designed by Maitland-Smith in the 1980s, rendered in tessellated marble, stone, and travertine. Assorted color of light pink salmon and sand beige. Back ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern Picture FramesMaterials
Travertine, Marble, Stone
- Modernist Black Lucite Picture Frame, Italy 1980sLocated in Atlanta, GABeautiful Italian 1980s modernist Lucite picture photo frame. Thick true licorice black Lucite base with beveling topped with carved pole holders. Two sheets of acrylic to hold the p...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern Picture FramesMaterials
Acrylic, Lucite, Plexiglass
- 1980s Italian Vintage Aquamarine Blue Twisted Murano Glass & Brass Picture FrameBy Barovier&TosoLocated in New York, NYA sophisticated Venetian modern design vertical photo frame in thick blown Murano glass worked in a luscious sky blue turquoise jewel color, by Barovier Toso, signed piece. The elega...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern Picture FramesMaterials
- Christian Dior Paris White and Gilded Ceramic Picture Frame, 1980sBy Dior Home, Christian DiorLocated in Atlanta, GALovely decorative picture photo frame designed for the Christian Dior Home collection in the 1980s. A delicate ceramic slab in white color with a gold application. The easel and back...Category
Vintage 1980s French Modern Picture FramesMaterials
Ceramic, Faience, Glass
- Marble Picture Frame by SkipperBy SkipperLocated in Milan, ITItalian marble picture frame / centerpiece manufactured by Skipper. Three marble slabs host the curved shape glass with sandblasted and transparent stripes.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Picture FramesMaterials
- Salmon Pink Mosaic Tessellated Stone Picture or Photo Frame, Maitland-Smith 1980By Maitland SmithLocated in Miami, FLUnique Post Modern picture or photo frame rendered in tessellated mosaic salmon pink travertine stone, lined in black felt velvet, by Maitland-Smith, Philippines, Circa 1980s.Category
Late 20th Century Philippine Post-Modern Picture FramesMaterials
Stone, Travertine$400 Sale Price20% Off