Items Similar to Big Hand Carved Painted Stag Sculpture in Wood, Early 18th Century
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 10
Big Hand Carved Painted Stag Sculpture in Wood, Early 18th Century
A big hand carved painted stag sculpture in wood, early 18th century. Pre-owned by a collector. This sculpture are one of a kind. The stag deer are a symbol of spiritual authority, a deer stag is here depicted in all its magnificent elegance. Wooden sculpture of a life-size deer stag laying upon a rectangular platform base. The symbol of the stag: The deer’s antlers are one of the characteristics that have made it the figure of a spiritual superiority, according to some. Like a crown, the antlers grow beyond its body, bringing it closer to the sky and making it sacred. In many cultures, the deer is a symbol of spiritual authority. During a deer’s life the antlers fall off and grow again and the animal is also a symbol of reGeneration. In the Christian imagination, the deer is a symbol of piety, devotion and of God taking care of his children: men. The legend of Saint Eustace, for example, tells the story of the Roman general who, before becoming a saint, was out hunting and came across a magnificent and enormous deer. When Eustace looked at the animal’s eyes, the light of Christ shone out of them and the voice of God spoke to him through them. Placido, the Roman name for the saint, gave up hunting and became a Christian. The deer, which is related in many traditions with kindness, softness and gentleness, is, in one way or another, an animal that is connected to the gods and the sacred. One of the reasons for this could be its physical characteristics, its stare, its agility, its speed and its antlers, which inspire those values and symbols in the imagination of humans and in its metaphorical nature.
- DimensionsHeight: 29.53 in (75 cm)Width: 29.93 in (76 cm)Depth: 13.78 in (35 cm)
- StyleArts and Crafts (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1800
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor structural damages.
- Seller LocationStockholm, SE
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU3817119152462
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Stockholm, Sweden
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in Stockholm, Sweden
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 2018
1stDibs seller since 2018
58 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 6 hours
More From This Seller
- Big Hand Carved Painted Stag Sculpture in Wood, Early 1800th CenturyLocated in Stockholm, SEA big hand carved painted stag sculpture in wood, early 1800th century. Preowned by a collector. This sculpture are one of a kind. The stag deer are a symbol of spiritual authorit...Category
Antique 18th Century Swedish Arts and Crafts Animal SculpturesMaterials
- Pair of 17th Century Carved Antique Swedish Gustavian Gilt TasselsLocated in Stockholm, SEPair of Gustavian 17th century carved antique Swedish Gustavian gilt tassels. The tassels are hand carved and thus different, but similar. Originally utilized not only as drapery acc...Category
Antique 17th Century Swedish Gustavian Sculptures and CarvingsMaterials
- Swedish Hand Carved Sculpture of a Lion Made in Birch, Early 1900Located in Stockholm, SEA rare hand carved sculpture of a lion in birch. Made in Berglinds toy factory in Nyköping, Sweden, early 1900s. The factory's main design idea was that the toys both should be tough...Category
Antique Early 1900s Swedish Arts and Crafts Animal SculpturesMaterials
- Scandinavian Modern Sculpture Signed by Ulrica Hydman-VallienBy Ulrica Hydman-VallienLocated in Stockholm, SEUlrica Hydman-Vallien can certainly not be accused of being ordinary. Her design has had its own style ever since the beginning of her artistic career. Already when Ulrica was 17 yea...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Big Rustic Sign Number Two in Copper, Made in SwedenLocated in Stockholm, SEBig rustic sign number two in copper, Made in Sweden. Big and beautiful number 2 is up for sale. For those who appreciate a good story behind No 2, here it comes. The Avis slogan “W...Category
Vintage 1930s Swedish Brutalist Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Hand Carved Vintage Hat Mold Made of Ashwood from Müller, Zürich, SwitzerlandLocated in Stockholm, SEHand carved vintage hat mold, from the hat-making company Carl Müller in Zürich. Pretty as a picture and decorative as a sculpture. Could be placed anywhere.Category
Vintage 1940s Swiss Folk Art Abstract SculpturesMaterials
You May Also Like
Painted and Carved Wood Stag Panel
Located in Washington, DC
A painted and carved wood stag panel. In two parts.
Antique Late 19th Century French Animal Sculptures
18th-19th Century Italian Wood Carved Angel
Located in San Francisco, CA
A lovely angel, his right hand extended as if to touch something or hold something. He appears very calm and peaceful, clothed in a partial shroud which is draped over his shoulder...
Antique Late 18th Century Italian Baroque Figurative Sculptures
18th Century Spanish Conquistador Carved Wood Figure
Located in Houston, TX
18th century carved and painted wood Spanish Conquistador figure or sculpture. This beautifully carved antique Spanish figural sculpture measures: 35 inches in height.
Antique 18th Century Spanish Baroque Figurative Sculptures
19th C Monumental Hand Carved & Painted Eagle Sculpture
Located in Los Angeles, CA
19th C Monumental Hand Carved & Painted Eagle Sculpture. It is possibly from a Federal or government building. It's a Architectural Folk Art Element. The Eagle is carved of wood and...
Antique Mid-19th Century American Adirondack Animal Sculptures
Hand Carved & Hand Painted Rooster Sculpture
Located in Los Angeles, CA
Hand carved & hand painted rooster sculpture. Very folky rooster.
20th Century American Folk Art Animal Sculptures
Early 20th Century Folk Art Carved Wood Deer Sculpture
Located in Chicago, IL
A stoic yet charming early 20th century Folk Art carved wood deer sculpture, nearly life size, with a wonderful dry weathered finish, and mounted on a custom steel mount. Perfect dis...
Early 20th Century Folk Art Sculptures and Carvings
Rare Late 18th Century French Hand-Carved Angel Wood Statue Articulated Arms
By Georgian House 1
Located in GB
We are delighted to offer for sale this exceptionally rare late 18th early 19th-century hand carved wood statue of an Angel with lovely movement and articulated arms A truly stunn...
Antique 18th Century French French Provincial Sculptures and Carvings
Early 20th Century Scandinavian Hand Carved and Painted Figural Nutcracker
Located in Brooklyn, NY
Scandinavian Folk Art nutcracker with man in cap decoration, circa 1920-1930s. Fine expressive facial and lovely hand painted details. Very nice, vintage condition with light wear co...
Early 20th Century Scandinavian Folk Art Figurative Sculptures
Pair of 18th Century Hand Carved Polychrome Floral Garnitures
Located in Dallas, TX
Pair of generous scale Spanish or Portuguese decorative polychrome garnitures also known as porta palmas in hand carved wood.
Antique 18th Century Spanish Baroque Sculptures and Carvings
Large Hand Carved Black Forest Standing Stag Deer Sculpture with Huge Antlers
Located in Hamilton, Ontario
This quite large and well executed carving is unsigned by the artist, but presumed to have been done in Eastern Europe in circa 1900 in the period Black Forest style. This large carv...
Early 20th Century German Black Forest Animal Sculptures
Featured in Animated Features
'Trophy Bottle Set' Hand Blown Glass Bottles by Simone Crestani
By Simone Crestani
Located in Camisano Vicentino, IT
'Trophy Bottles Set' Hand-blown Glass bottles. The Trophy Bottles Set by Simone Crestani. Set includes 1 Deer Bottle, 1 Longhorn Bottle, and 1 Bighorn Bottle. 3 pieces in total. "A...
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern Bottles
Climbing Leopard Hand-Knotted 10x8 Rug in Silk by Diane von Furstenberg
By The Rug Company, Diane von Furstenberg
Located in London, GB
Animal inspiration is classic DVF and this climbing leopard print is no exception. In a lush emerald with leopard shapes that add depth and dimension, this statement piece is perfect...
21st Century and Contemporary Nepalese Modern Western European Rugs
"Serpentine" Candleholder in Pigeon Gray Hand Blown Glass by Jeff Zimmerman
By Jeff Zimmerman
Located in New York, NY
Unique single serpentine light sculpture in pigeon gray hand blown glass. Designed and made by Jeff Zimmerman, USA, 2017. Limited number available. Please note that each item may ...
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Candelabras
'Tentacle Vase' Hand Blown Glass Vase by Simone Crestani
By Simone Crestani
Located in Camisano Vicentino, IT
'Tentacle Vase' A Hand Blown Glass Vase by Simone Crestani Tentacle Vase is one of the pieces from the Polpo Collection. "The enveloping elegance of the Polpo Collection may make y...
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern Vases
Seletti "Monkey Lamp-Outdoor-Us" Resin Lamp, with Rope
Located in Doral, FL
From its very first year in 1964, Seletti in Cicognara, Mantova, has followed its principle of professionality service and constant research to strive for betterness innovation and o...
21st Century and Contemporary Chinese Modern Table Lamps