C. Jere Mid-Century Modern Bird in Flight on Stone, circa 1960s
About the Item
- Creator:Curtis Jeré (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 12 in (30.48 cm)Width: 14 in (35.56 cm)Depth: 6 in (15.24 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1960s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Beautiful Condition.
- Seller Location:St. Louis, MO
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU82026134383
Though the name Curtis Jeré is familiar to many as the maker of ebullient and eccentric modern design from the 1960s and ‘70s, relatively few are aware that it is a pseudonym for the design team of Curtis Freiler and Jerry Fels. Together, the two created some of the most striking and vivid furnishings and decorative objects of their era, from sculptures and dynamically framed mirrors, to lighting and wall decorations.
New Yorkers Freiler and Fels had collaborated for two decades on small jewelry lines before launching a design company called Artisan House in 1964. They combined variants of their names to create an artful persona — sometimes shortened to C. Jeré; the "surname" is pronounced with a rising inflection: jhayr-EH — that stood behind large-scale decorative metalwork, marked by semi-abstract petal forms with burnt and brazed edges. Fels served as head of design, and Freiler, known for his keen handiwork, was the production chief. The pair’s eclectic metalwork has captivated decorative art collectors and interior designers ever since.
The work of Curtis Jeré displays a sense of playfulness and curiosity, while drawing on inspirations and themes that include flowers, discs, geometric forms and animal figures. Freiler and Fels had a masterful ability to work with different materials, such as patinated brass and brilliant chrome.
The price of a Curtis Jeré mirror, lamp, wall-mounted sculpture or tabletop sculpture can range from $400 to $12,000, depending on the size, the rarity of the piece, the intricacy of the metalwork and the materials used in its construction. Other factors like condition can affect the perceived value and, thus, the cost of works by Curtis Jeré.
As you will see on 1stDibs, the imaginative powers of the designers of Curtis Jeré pieces were boundless, and their creations will add a dash of verve in any room.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: St. Louis, MO
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Curtis Jere Anchor Sculpture Faux Bronze on Stone Quartz Base, SignedBy Curtis JeréLocated in St. Louis, MOSigned Jere anchor and stone sculpture with seagulls by Curtis Jere, signed on the anchor and dated 1971. Some loss to green paint, one seagull leg loose from foot. Nautical marine s...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials
Quartz, Bronze, Iron
- Pair of C. Jere Brass Globe Sphere Wall Sculptures, circa 1984By Curtis JeréLocated in St. Louis, MOCurtis Jere brass globe sphere sculptures signed and dated 1984. Torched cut shapes with textured brass metal to create mountains , applied green paint an...Category
Vintage 1980s North American Mid-Century Modern Abstract Sculptures
- Vintage Solid Copper Brooklyn Bridge Wall Sculpture Curtis Jeré circa 1970sBy C. Jeré Artisan House, Curtis JeréLocated in St. Louis, MOLarge iconic Brooklyn Bridge brutalist wall sculpture, handmade in copper by Curtis Jeré Artisans, circa 1970s. Rarely seen in solid copper, brass plated version more common. Signed ...Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Mounted ObjectsMaterials
- Curtis Jeré Abstract Chrome & Brass Ribbon Sculpture with Ball on Marble BaseBy C. Jeré Artisan House, Curtis JeréLocated in St. Louis, MOCirca 1980s abstract Curtis Jeré chrome & brass free form ribbon sculpture with ball on round black marble base, retains Artisan House - C-Jere decal. Chrome has minor patina, marble...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
Marble, Brass, Chrome
- Large 8'+ Atomic Age Mid-Century Modern Style Unique Space Atom Wall SculptureBy Curtis Jeré, Kenny ScharfLocated in St. Louis, MOOne of a kind Atomic Age large Mid-Century Modern style wall sculpture made of round black painted bent iron rod, in zig-zag form or atom rings with assorted metallic colored orbs (a...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- Curtis Jere' Maple Leaf Tree Wall Sculpture Signed, 1971By Curtis JeréLocated in St. Louis, MOSigned C. Jere, 1971 copper and brass maple leaf tree wall sculpture. Two available for purchase.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- 1960s Curtis Jere 3 Birds in Flight Sculpture on Stone BaseBy Curtis JeréLocated in Tarrytown, NY1960s Curtis Jere 3 Birds In Flight Sculpture On Stone Base with Label Lobster shown on wire net that completes the nautical sculptureCategory
Vintage 1970s Unknown Mid-Century Modern Animal SculpturesMaterials
Rock Crystal, Metal, Brass, Bronze
- Mid Century Modern 'Birds in Flight' Curtis Jere Wall Art SculptureBy Curtis Jeré, Artisan HouseLocated in San Jose, CAOriginal Curtis Jere 'Birds in Flight' sculpture for Artisan House circa 1960's. This iconic example is made of iron with a black metal finish. Makes for a great statement piece addi...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Animal SculpturesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Brass Marble Birds in Flight Sculpture Style of C. JereBy Curtis JeréLocated in Topeka, KSMid-Century Modern three birds in flight brass sculpture on a round black marble base in the style of C. Jere. This one is unsigned. In great vintage condition, circa 1960s-1980s. Awesome flock of seagulls! This birds in flight brass and black marble sculpture is in the style of Curtis Jere or C. Jere. It is more petit than most of the Mid-Century Modern bird sculptures by this company and will look wonderful in your bookcase. Curtis Jere is not a single artist but is a nom-de-plume for a group of artists working for Artisan House which included Curtis Freiler and Jerry Fels. Before founding Artisan House these two had built a costume jewelry business which sold under the names of Renoir and Matisse, two well-known names of mid-20th century costume jewelry...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Animal SculpturesMaterials
- Midcentury Curtis Jere Bird in Flight Sculpture on Stone for Artisan HouseBy Curtis Jeré, Artisan HouseLocated in San Jose, CAVintage abstract 'Bird in Flight' sculpture signed C. Jere for Artisan House, circa 1970s. This piece is made of mixed metals with beautifully aged patina and is mounted on a heavy s...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Animal SculpturesMaterials
- Birds in Flight off Coast Sculpture on Onyx Stone by Curtis JereBy Curtis JeréLocated in Los Angeles, CASigned brass sea gull sculpture by Curtis Jere. C Jere’ works are made and marketed by the corporation Artisan House. Curtis Jere is a compound nom de plume of artists Curtis Freiler...Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Curtis Jere "Birds in Flight" Bronze Sculpture, circa 1976By Curtis JeréLocated in San Francisco, CACurtis Jere "Birds in Flight" bronze sculpture, circa 1976 Fantastic 1970s hand signed bronze sculpture by noted artist / designer Curtis Jere. Hand welded bronze birds on a py...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Animal SculpturesMaterials