- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jay Spectre Vase for Silvestri
- CreatorJay Spectre (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 18.00 in. (45.72 cm)Diameter: 8.00 in. (20.32 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1991
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. a few minor glaze misses.
- Seller LocationWest Palm Beach, FL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU84329606141
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: West Palm Beach, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Artist
From arranging window displays as a teenager to securing a preeminent position in the decorating and design sphere, Jay Spectre had an extraordinary career. He drew on a range of influences for his lounge chairs, chests of drawers and coffee tables of the 1970s and ‘80s, and is best known for these furnishings as well as his interiors of the era.
For his eponymous Manhattan firm, Spectre created modern, delectable interiors for luxury homes, private aircraft, yachts and offices — his clientele included corporations and affluent figures all over the world — and for his sophisticated furnishings and decor, he found inspiration in Art Deco as well as in Asian and African art..
Spectre’s career in design began modestly — he worked as a window dresser in his Kentucky hometown. He had big plans, however, and moved to New York City, where he would establish the Jay Spectre Inc. design firm. During interviews in the years that followed, Spectre spoke highly of Hollywood glamour and its impact on his work. He was interested in the forces of modernism and technology, and was greatly inspired by the Art Deco era, which was brought to global attention at a large decorative arts exhibition held in Paris in 1925. The movement’s textile designers integrated floral motifs and vivid colors into their works, while Art Deco furniture makers were fond of dark woods, modern metals and decorative embellishments such as exotic animal hides.
In 1985, in order to grant large manufacturers the rights to produce Spectre’s furniture designs, he formed a licensing firm called J.S.P.S. Inc. with South African-born interior designer Geoffrey Bradfield. This was the era that brought Spectre recognition, awards, and numerous high-profile clients that the designer called “silent celebrities” (they deeply valued their privacy).
Spectre also created furniture that was aimed at younger consumers and intended to be affordable. He introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at North Carolina’s Century Furniture — a brand that is known to vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors — where he created oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Spectre was named one of the top eight designers in America by the Smithsonian Institution for their "Giants of Design 1979" exhibition. He earned a pair of awards from the Chicago Merchandise Mart in 1982 and 1983, and was inducted into the Interior Design Hall of Fame in 1986.
- Jay Spectre "Joan Crawford Lips" TableBy Jay SpectreLocated in West Palm Beach, FLWhimsical lacquered-wood table This table is documented in the book, point of view, design by Jay Spectre.Category
Vintage 1980s American TablesMaterials
- Tobia Scarpa Occhi Vase for VeniniBy Tobia ScarpaLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA nice vintage example. Classic form.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian VasesMaterials
- Jacques Sitoleux for Christofle Vase/ SculptureBy Jacques SitoleuxLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA silver plated architecturally inspired table object. Signed Original unpolished state.Category
Vintage 1960s French Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- Floris Meydam for Leerdam Art Glass VaseBy Floris MeydamLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA large vase designed by Floris Meydam for Leerdam Art Glass. Signed F Meydam/ Leerdam Unica MA542 Floris was appointed the head of design at Leerdam and held that position from 19...Category
Vintage 1950s Dutch VasesMaterials
- Set of Orrefors Vase'sBy Olle Alberius, OrreforsLocated in West Palm Beach, FLset of 3 Orrefors Vase's,designed by Olle Alberius<br /> 10"h x 3"dia.Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish GlassMaterials
Glass$6,000 / set
- Tiffany Studios Floriform VaseBy Tiffany StudiosLocated in West Palm Beach, FLStunning gold iridescent favorite Floriform vase by Tiffany Studios. Louis C. Tiffany produced blown glass, named "Favorite", between 1892 and 1928.This vase is graceful in form.Category
Antique Early 1900s American VasesMaterials
You May Also Like
1990s American Mid-Century Modern Decorative Boxes
Late 20th Century Chinese Mid-Century Modern Decorative Boxes
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Vases
20th Century German Post-Modern Vases
Vintage 1980s Danish Mid-Century Modern Vases
Vintage 1980s Italian Vases
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Vases
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Vases
Antique 1890s Austrian Porcelain
Vintage 1960s German Vases
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery