Skip to main content
  • Want more images or videos?
    Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 20

Set of 4 Polished Pewter Stag and Ibex Stirrup Cups with Ice Bucket

$650per set

About

This set of four pewter stirrup cups and ice bucket can be considered a rare find. Typically, you might find people who own individual stirrup cups or even a mismatched grouping of them, but it is hard to find sets with matching ice bucket. The stirrup cup has been around for many centuries and was used at the beginning of group hunts, specifically fox hunts. In these traditional hunts, the hunting party would use scent hounds to track the movements of the prey. The hunters would follow behind the dogs, usually on horseback. As a token of good luck for the upcoming hunt, the host of the hunting party would offer the riders a parting shot (typically a sherry or spiced wine), once their feet were firmly in the stirrups. The cups are usually in the likeness of either the “hunter”, a dog or a horse, or the “hunted”, a stag, fox, boar, etc. Our stirrup cups depict two such animals: a pair of ibex and a pair of stags. The stag cups are slightly taller and not quite as deep as the ibex ones, but both pairs are roughly 5 inches tall, 3 inches in width, and about 3 3/4 inches deep. The cups can rest on a shelf with the mouth down, or they can be turned and displayed antlers down, with the mouth of the cup facing up (they will maintain their balance this way). There are no visible production marks on the cups. The matching ice bucket is stamped, indicating 95% tin pewter with an unknown production mark. An item that is 95% tin will typically have a high silver sheen, such as our barware set; the other 5% is comprised of copper and antimony for strengthening purposes. The bucket has stag head mounts on opposite sides of the bucket from each other. The deer on the bucket are short-antlered, similar to the deer stirrup cups. This vintage barware set, produced in the 1970s, is a fun and unique item for those that enjoy utilizing their in-home bar.

Details

  • Dimensions
    Height: 8 in. (20.32 cm)Width: 10 in. (25.4 cm)Depth: 7 in. (17.78 cm)
  • Sold As
    Set of 5
  • Materials and Techniques
  • Period
  • Date of Manufacture
    1970s
  • Condition
    Wear consistent with age and use. CONDITION: Good overall condition with minor denting on the mouths of the cups. Minor scratches and buildup to the ice bucket, with a small dent to the edge of the base.
  • Seller Location
    Dallas, TX
  • Reference Number
    Seller: 720-341stDibs: LU906321010392

Shipping & Returns

  • Shipping
    Rates vary by destination and complexity.
    Ships From: Dallas, TX
  • Return Policy

    A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.

1stDibs Buyer Protection Guaranteed
If your item arrives not as described, we’ll work with you and the seller to make it right. Learn more
About the Seller
5 / 5
Located in Dallas, TX
Platinum Seller
This distinction is for experienced sellers who continually surpass customer expectations.
Established in 1983
1stDibs seller since 2011
351 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: <1 hour
More From This Seller

You May Also Like

Gucci Stag Silver Stirrup Cup Signed, Italy, 1970s
By Gucci
Located in Los Angeles, CA
Category

Vintage 1970s Italian Modern

Materials

Silver Plate

Set of Eight Gucci Stirrup Cups
By Gucci
Located in Los Angeles, CA
Category

Vintage 1970s Italian

Materials

Brass, Silver Plate

Italian Pewter Ice Bucket and Tongs, Richard Cipolla
By Cipolla
Located in Miami, FL
Category

Vintage 1980s Italian Modern

Materials

Pewter

Set of 4 Preisner Pewter Beverage Cups and Tray
By Preisner Silver Company
Located in New York, NY
Category

20th Century American Mid-Century Modern

Materials

Pewter

Silver Ombre Highball Set with Ice Bucket and Caddy
Located in Atlanta, GA
Category

Mid-20th Century

Materials

Glass

Polish Nickel and Lucite Ice Bucket by Charles Hollis Jones
By Charles Hollis Jones
Located in Palm Springs, CA
Category

Vintage 1970s American Modern

Materials

Nickel, Lucite

Ice Bucket
Located in New York, NY
Category

Early 20th Century American

Materials

Metal

Tommi Parzinger Polished-Nickel Ice Bucket, circa 1950s
By Tommi Parzinger, Dorlyn Silversmiths
Located in Brooklyn, NY
Category

Vintage 1950s American

Materials

Brass, Nickel

The 1stDibs Promise

Learn More

Expertly Vetted Sellers

Confidence at Checkout

Price-Match Guarantee

Exceptional Support

Buyer Protection

Insured Global Delivery