- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Blenko Mid-Century Modern Blue Glass Pitcher
- CreatorBlenko Glass (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 13 in (33.02 cm)Diameter: 8 in (20.32 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of ManufactureLate 20th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberSeller: S138XX - 92 - 09211stDibs: LU889325155492
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
A producer of hand-blown glass since 1893, Blenko Glass is currently headquartered in Milton, West Virginia, where it has operated since 1921. Among its many illustrious projects are the stained-glass windows it produced for St. Patrick’s Cathedral and the Washington National Cathedral. Blenko is known today for the brilliant colors of its glass vessels and objects—particularly those produced in the 1950s and ’60s—which range from jewel-like blues and greens to brilliant reds and yellows.
The company was founded by William J. Blenko, an English immigrant who was apprenticed to a glassmaker in his native London as a young man. Blenko developed expertise in the production of rondels, the round panes used in stained glass windows. His interest in the potential of natural gas to fire glass furnaces led him to Milton, where abundant reserves of the fuel had attracted a pool of skilled glassblowers. Under the name Eureka Glass, his company began making window glass in 1923, and in 1925, he was joined in the business by his son, William H. Blenko.
When the Great Depression quelled demand for stained glass, William J. Blenko brought local Milton glassblowers into the company to begin producing stem- and tableware, products for which the company, which changed its name to Blenko in 1930, is now best known. Up until the end of World War II, Blenko’s tableware designs were fairly straightforward, and they sold well at American department such as Gump’s, in San Francisco. The company was also commissioned in 1930 to produce a line of reproductions for Colonial Williamsburg.
In 1947, the company hired as its art director Winslow Anderson, who introduced artful, fanciful and modern vessels and objects in vibrant colors. This began what collectors refer to as Blenko’s “historic period.” A number of Anderson’s designs were honored by the Museum of Modern Art’s Good Design Awards in 1950, and throughout the 1950’s and ‘60s, the company enjoyed robust sales and critical acclaim. The forms Blenko produced during this period followed the contemporary vogue for biomorphism, or organic modernism, which favored rounded and fluid shapes inspired by nature.
One of Blenko’s most influential designers, Wayne Husted, who was active from 1953 to ’63, is credited with aligning Blenko’s products with the prevailing mid-century modern aesthetic by pushing the envelope on both form and color, particularly in his wedge-cut and Spool decanters and his Echoes series. Joel Philip Myers, who designed for Blenko in the 1960s, brought a sense of whimsy and visual excess to the product line, in keeping with the psychedelic look favored during the period.
Blenko Glass still produces many of its classic designs in items ranging from stemware and tableware to decorative objects and ornamental decanters. Among collectors, pieces created under Husted’s creative direction are of special interest. The company has come to the attention of younger audiences through the documentaries Blenko: Hearts of Glass and Blenko Retro: Three Designers of American Glass, both of which aired on PBS. Blenko also designed the glass award trophy for the Country Music Awards.
- Blenko Mid-Century Modern Glass Bookends with Elephant MotifBy Blenko GlassLocated in New York, NYA pair of Mid-Century Modern glass bookends depicting elephants on the front end. The pair was made in the United States by Blenko in the 1960s and is in very good vintage condition.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BookendsMaterials
- Modern Pale Blue Glass VaseLocated in New York, NYModern glass vase in pale blue glass with short bottle neck, unmarked. Dimensions: 8" Height x 8" Diameter.Category
20th Century VasesMaterials
- Pair of Blenko Green Glass DecantersBy Blenko GlassLocated in New York, NYPair of 1970s Blenko green glass decanters with elaborate decoration. Hand blown with elaborate stoppers.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern BarwareMaterials
Glass$975 Sale Price22% Off
- Robert Eickholt Modern Studio Art Glass VaseBy Robert EickholtLocated in New York, NYRobert Eickholt modern studio art glass vase in cased multicolored glass with gold and silver flecks, signed and dated on the bottom. Dimensions: 6.5" Height x 5.25" Diameter.Category
Late 20th Century American Modern GlassMaterials
Glass, Art Glass
- Mid-Century Modern Blue Glass Table LampLocated in New York, NYMid-Century Modern blue glass table lamp with an iridescent finish, together with a white cloth lampshade. Measures: 28" height x 18.5" diameter.Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- JBH Italian Mid-Century Modern Ceramic PitcherLocated in New York, NYItalian Mid-Century Modern sculptural form pitcher in painted and parcel gilt ceramic, with dancing silhouettes on the sides, signed 'Mari', marked JBH and 'Italy'. 14.25" H x 7" W x...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian PitchersMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Wayne Husted Glass Decanter for BlenkoBy Wayne Husted, Blenko GlassLocated in San Antonio, TXMid-century modern glass decanter by Wayne Husted for Blenko. Wayne Husted was the most prolific Blenko designer and is often credited as the most talented and popular of the Blenko ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern GlassMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Blenko Tangerine Art Glass Decanter, Winslow Anderson #49By Blenko GlassLocated in New York, NYVibrant vintage MCM tangerine Blenko art glass decanter. Designed by Winslow Anderson, 1970's. Very good condition Hand blown intense orange-red to clear at the trefoil top.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern GlassMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Handcrafted Marked Blenko Thick Clear Glass Owl BookendsBy Blenko GlassLocated in Miami, FLMid-Century Modern handcrafted Blenko thick glass owl bookends. Original label on back of each.Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern BookendsMaterials
- 1960s Blenko Tangerine Mid-Century Modern Footed BowlBy Blenko GlassLocated in Pasadena, CABlenko tangerine footed bowl. Measures 10.5" by 8.5". In very good vintage condition.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
Blown Glass$450 Sale Price24% Off
- Rare Blenko Tall Yellow Mouth Blown Glass PitcherBy Wayne Husted, Blenko GlassLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful color and excellent condition on this tall glass pitcher. by Blenko.Category
20th Century American Scandinavian Modern GlassMaterials
- 1980s Blenko Purple Paper Bag Blown Art Glass Vase American Mid-Century ModernBy Blenko GlassLocated in Miami, FLPurple Blenko sculptural Paper Bag blown art glass vase, vessel, geometric shape made in America 1980. The sculptural purple transparent glass body looks stunning with every turn. ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials