- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pair of Large Salviati Murano Opalescent Fruit Bookends
About the Item
- Creator:Salviati (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 8.5 in (21.59 cm)Diameter: 4 in (10.16 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1960s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Palm Springs, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: C9701stDibs: LU93815491533
Not only did Salviati support the revival of Venice’s flagging Murano glass industry in the 19th century, but the company also became world-renowned for its innovative glassmaking techniques, revolutionizing the art of mosaics and glassware design.
The story of Salviati glass begins with Vicenza-born lawyer and entrepreneur Antonio Salviati. His love of Murano glass art and mosaics inspired him to establish his own mosaic and glass manufacturing firm, the Salviati Dott. Antonio fu Bartolomeo company, in Venice in 1859. Glassmakers in the region had been weathering a dismal political climate and growing competition in neighboring countries, and Salviati had initially hoped to revive Murano glassmaking in order to restore deteriorating mosaics in local cathedrals.
In 1864, Salviati exhibited a monumental glass mosaic at the “First Glassmakers’ Exhibition,” which won the gold medal. His award-winning mosaic solidified his company’s reputation as a first-rate glassmaker, which soon drew the attention of international investors, particularly investors from Great Britain.
In 1866, “Salviati and C.” opened in London with the support of historian William Drake and diplomat Sir Austen Henry Layard. Meanwhile, the Salviati company established its headquarters on the Rio dei Vetrai in Murano.
Throughout the late 1800s, Salviati and C. expanded its production to include household glassware and serveware and decorative objects such as cups, glasses, amphoras and vials. Salviati also received commissions to produce mosaics for St Paul’s Cathedral and the Houses of Parliament in London, the Paris Opera House and the Viceroy of Egypt’s Palace in Alexandria.
After Antonio Salviati died in 1890, his sons Giulio and Silvio took over the company. The Barovier family — a dynasty that stretches as far back as 1295 — bought the manufacturer in 1883, and a glass master named Maurizio Camerino, who had honed his skills at Salviati, was appointed to lead the company. Camerino’s children took the reins following the glass master’s death in 1931 and launched a successful lighting line of table lamps and chandeliers after World War II.
Throughout the 20th century, Salviati participated in several Venice Biennale exhibitions from 1958 to 1972. In 1962, the company was awarded the Compasso d’Oro prize for the Marco vase, designed by architect Sergio Asti.
Since its acquisition by the Umana group in 2015, Salviati has collaborated with numerous renowned designers such as Federico Peri, Davide Bruno, Renzo Stellon, Alberto Lago and Anna Gili. Salviati's pieces can be found in the collections of the Museum August Kestner in Hanover, Germany, the Museum of Modern Art and Corning Museum of Glass in New York, the Eretz Museum in Tel Aviv, Israel, and the Murano Glass Museum in Venice.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Palm Springs, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Large Barovier Murano Gold Seashell Centerpiece BowlBy Ercole BarovierLocated in Palm Springs, CALarge Murano handblown cased clear glass with gold flecks shell shaped centerpiece bowl.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian GlassMaterials
- Large Murano Venetian Twisted Glass Rope Mirrored Vanity TrayLocated in Palm Springs, CABeautiful Murano Venetian rectangular tray with twisted glass surround and reverse etched mirror back and nickeled brass fittings. Excellent craftsmanship including classical wheel e...Category
Vintage 1940s Italian GlassMaterials
- Large Murano Italian Opalescent Table LampLocated in Palm Springs, CALarger bulbous shaped Murano opalescent glass table lamp with brass fittings and on custom acrylic base. The opalescent glass has soft hues of purple and lavender. Newly wired with n...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Table LampsMaterials
- Murano Twisted Rope Glass Vanity TrayBy VeniniLocated in Palm Springs, CAMurano Venetian glass mirrored vanity tray surmounted by twisted blown glass with finely detailed embossed brass straps and edging. Similar tray available under separate lisitng.Category
Vintage 1940s Italian GlassMaterials
- Pair Murano Opalescent Controlled Bubble Table LampsLocated in Palm Springs, CAPair of Murano Venetian hand blown ribbed opalescent glass table lamps with controlled bubbles. The color is opaque white with light shade of blue. New custom acrylic bases, rewired ...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Table LampsMaterials
- Large Brass Swivel Mirror Vanity Table MirrorLocated in Palm Springs, CALarge solid brass oval double sided swivel vanity table mirror.Category
Vintage 1950s North American GlassMaterials
- Murano Glass Fruit Bookends by BarbiniBy Alfredo BarbiniLocated in New York, NYBarbini glass fruit bookends done in the Sommerso technique. Both in perfect condition. Smaller piece (Apple ) 5"m H x 4.5" D. Larger piece (Pear) 7" H x 4.5" D.Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern BookendsMaterials
Art Glass$675 / set
- Rare Victorian Firescreen with Taxidermy Hummingbirds by Henry WardBy Henry WardLocated in Amsterdam, NLEngland, third quarter of the 19th century On two scrolling foliate feet with casters, above which a rectangular two-side glazed frame, with on top a two-sided shield with initial...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century English High Victorian TaxidermyMaterials
Other$213,486 Sale Price33% Off
- Large Centerpiece Fruit Bowl by Yalos Casa for Murano GlassBy Murano 5, Yalos CasaLocated in San Diego, CALarge centerpiece fruit bowl by Yalos Casa for Murano Glassworks of Venice, circa 2000s. The piece is in very good condition with no chips or cracks and measures 14.5"D and a shallow...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Decorative BowlsMaterials
- Gorgeous Murano Art Glass Sommerso Fruit Bowl Pink and Clear Vintage, ItalyBy Murano Glass SommersoLocated in Nuernberg, DEAn amazing Venetian Murano glass bowl in a nice pink and clear color. A highly decorative piece useful as centre piece or catchall, candy bowl or fruit bowl, Italy, 1970s.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Decorative BowlsMaterials
- Italian Murano Blue Art Glass Pear Fruit Decorative Objects or Bookends, SetBy Alfredo BarbiniLocated in New York, NYA beautiful and substantial set Italian Murano pear fruit and egg decorative art glass bookends or decorative objects with a controlled bubble design in the style of Italian designer...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Modern BookendsMaterials
Art Glass, Blown Glass, Murano Glass$780 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Set of 58 Pieces of Opalescent Salviati Venetian StemwareBy SalviatiLocated in Boston, MASet of 58 pieces of opalescent Salviati Venetian Stemware. The stemware was hand blown with the goal to make it pick up all the colors of the rainbow like an opal jewel would when yo...Category
Vintage 1920s Italian Other GlassMaterials
- Murano Salviati Amber BirdBy SalviatiLocated in Palm Springs, CAMurano Salviati bird in amber. Bird measures 3.5" wide, 5.5" deep and 14.5" high. Decal on bottom, made in italy, Salviati Murano.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern GlassMaterials
Art Glass, Murano Glass
- Salviati Murano Glass SculpturesBy SalviatiLocated in Palm Springs, CAA beautiful pair of luminous murano glass sculptures by Salviati. These are made of glass with Uranium deposits that allow the glass to 'Glow" in UV light. Similar to American made V...Category
20th Century Italian GlassMaterials
Art Glass$3,800 / set
- Salviati Handblown Large Venetian Murano Iridescent Grape Leaf CentrepieceBy SalviatiLocated in Great Barrington, MAThis large handblown Venetian centrepiece is large enough to be the focal point as a low centerpiece or used as a decorative piece on a sideboard or coffee table. The organic life-li...Category
Vintage 1940s Italian GlassMaterials
- Pair of Large Salviati Murano Pear and AppleBy Antonio SalviatiLocated in Pasadena, CAThis is a great pair of vintage Salviati Somerso Murano pear and apple. These large fruit pieces were not designed with one flat side to serve as book-ends, but rather as stand alone...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials
Art Glass$680 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Large Vetri Murano Salviati & Co. Blue Italian Glass VaseBy SalviatiLocated in Philadelphia, PAA large Vetri Murano Salviati blue glass vase with inclusions. The vase bears Vetri Murano and Salviati & Co. labels. Height: circa 12.75 in. Items purchased from David St...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
Blown Glass$1,480 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery