- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Raymond Loewy for Air France Concorde Set of 36 Circa's 1970
About the Item
- Creator:Raymond Loewy (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 6.3 in (16 cm)Width: 1.34 in (3.4 cm)Depth: 0.4 in (1 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Original Conditions.
- Seller Location:Brussels, BE
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2037332511192
For those in the know, French-born American industrial designer Raymond Loewy is the “father of streamlining.” He is widely recognized as a pioneer of industrial design consulting — a creative powerhouse who took aim at cluttered designs and simplified them. Loewy left his mark on everything from toothbrushes to trashcans to spacecraft interiors. He designed cars, worked in illustration, and crafted comely dressers and other furniture.
Loewy was born in Paris, France. At age 15, he designed a model airplane that was powered by rubber bands. It won the James Gordon Bennett Cup of 1908. Loewy patented the model kit for this plane by the following year and saw brisk sales. With his savings, Loewy was able to study at the University of Paris and then at Ecole de Lanneau, where he earned an engineering degree in 1918.
Loewy moved to New York City in 1919 and found work as a window designer for the department stores Macy's, Wanamaker's and Saks and as a fashion illustrator for Vogue and Harper's Bazaar. Loewy’s big break in industrial design came in 1929 when he altered the Gestetner duplicating machine — removing jutting parts and encasing the moving works in an understated cover. It caused a sensation within the industry — and companies began to call on him.
Loewy designed packaging for Coca-Cola and revised the look of Lucky cigarettes. The “Loewy Look,” which referred to the designer’s efforts to strip a product of any unnecessary detail and streamline its appearance, began to characterize hundreds of products.
Loewy found clients in a dizzying number of companies. He did everything from retooling logos to redesigning products. His 1934 Sears Coldspot refrigerator was a sleek innovation that broke sales records. His Pennsylvania Railroad locomotive resembled a speeding bullet and was the darling of the 1939 World’s Fair. Loewy even reworked shapes for snacks at Nabisco. By the time World War II gathered steam, Raymond Loewy Associates — the industrial design firm he founded — had been operating in a number of American cities. When Time magazine featured him on the cover in October 1949 — Loewy was not shy about publicity — his profile soared.
Loewy worked with Studebaker for decades. The success of their 1953 Starliner coupe was due to his revolutionary design, while their 1963 futuristic, fiberglass-bodied Avanti, which came with advanced safety features and materialized at a time when the company was experiencing financial hardship, was his crowning achievement for the maker.
Returning to his roots in aviation, Loewy worked for NASA from 1967 to 1973 on the interior design of the Skylab space station. He was also involved in the interior designs of the Concorde supersonic jet and Air Force One. Loewy delighted in creating furniture and collaborated with manufacturers such as Mengel Furniture, Rosenthal and Doubinsky Frères. In the 1970s, Loewy and his wife shuttered their businesses and retired in France.
On 1stDibs, find vintage Raymond Loewy cabinets, serveware, seating and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Brussels, Belgium
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Sandro Vacchetti for Essevi Torino circa's 1930By Sandro VacchettiLocated in Brussels, BESandro Vacchetti (Italian, 1889-1976) for Essevi 'Il mondo e il suo castigo': An Earthenware Figure, circa 1930s polychrome, and modelled as a nude blonde female wearing a headscar...Category
Vintage 1930s Italian Art Deco Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Rare Bookends by Pierro Fornasetti, circa's 1958By Piero FornasettiLocated in Brussels, BERare and original bookends by Pierro Fornasetti circa 1958. original condition.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern BookendsMaterials
- Full Set of Dining Room by Mobilgirgi, circa 1970By Mobil GirgiLocated in Brussels, BEProduced by Mobilgirgi Italia in 1975 Chairs: Set of six robust Italian dining chairs with saddle-stitched leather seats, black colored. Very comfortable even for larger sitters despite the slim profile. Dimensions: 50 x 47 x 82cm, assise 45 cm. Dining table in walnut, dimensions 209 x 89 x 76 cm. Sideboard: manufactured by Mobilgirgi in Italy in the 1970s. Very rare walnut sideboard. Dimensions: 250 x 50 x 79.5 cm. Showcase furniture...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Walnut$17,127 / set
- Eagle Dining Table by A. Chervet, circa 1970By Alain ChervetLocated in Brussels, BEEagle dining table by A. Chervet, circa 1970, in brass and steel in good condition. Signed by the artist.Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Coffee Table Square Etched Brass by Armand Jonckers, circa 1970By Armand JonckersLocated in Brussels, BECoffee table square etched brass by Armand Jonckers circa 1970, signed atelier d'Armand Jonckers. This furniture has been fully restored at the Jonckers workshop.Category
Vintage 1970s Belgian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Lino Sabattini Set of 4 PiecesBy Lino SabattiniLocated in Brussels, BELino Sabattini modernist design silver plated set of 4 pieces. Signed (Sabattini Italy). different dimensions. 1 pie shell 1 dough tongs 1 crumb scoopCategory
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern More Dining and EntertainingMaterials
Silver Plate$2,044 / set
- Mid Century Raymond Loewy Dresser ChestBy Mengel Furniture Co., Raymond LoewyLocated in San Jose, CAMid-century dresser chest designed by Raymond Loewy for Mengel Furniture Co. in ebonized solid oak. This piece features four wide drawers with cast aluminum pulls.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Aluminum$1,920 Sale Price20% Off
- Raymond Loewy DF2000By Doubinsky Freres, Raymond LoewyLocated in BROOKLYN, NYOne of our favorite designs. This freestanding cabinet can serve as a console, dresser, or even a small vanity. This is a rare version of the R...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
Plastic, Laminate, Wood$3,250
- Raymond Loewy Desk with Drawers for Doubinsky Freres, DF2000 SeriesBy Raymond Loewy, Doubinsky FreresLocated in Kansas City, MORare Raymond Loewy DF2000 desk in red, orange, and white. See photos for how the desk top slides forward to create clearance for a chair and also reveals storage. Red molded plastic ...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern DesksMaterials
- Raymond Loewy DF-2000 Valet, FranceBy Raymond LoewyLocated in Antwerp, BEDF-2000 Valet, compact dressing cabinet was designed by Raymond Loewy for Doubinsky Frères, France, 1960s. The cabinet has a flip-top door with mirrored interior, three drawers a...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Laminate, Wood, Cut Glass, Plastic
- Raymond Loewy DF-2000 Cabinet/DresserBy Raymond LoewyLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA wonderful design by an important designer. The cabinet is in great condition including the original feet.Category
Vintage 1970s French CabinetsMaterials
- Raymond Loewy After Dinner Coffee Set for "Rosenthal 2000"By Raymond Loewy, Latham StudiosLocated in Los Angeles, CAgrey and white porcelain 20 piece after dinner coffee set Rosenthal 2000, coffee server, sugar bowl and creamer + complete set of service for six cup...Category
Vintage 1950s German Mid-Century Modern Tea SetsMaterials
- Bed Set by Raymond Loewy, 1960sBy Raymond LoewyLocated in Philadelphia, PA- 20" H, 106" W, 15.25" D (backboard and nightstands) - 10.5" H, 81" L, 64" W (platform bed) - French DF-2000 bed set by Raymond Loewy circa 1960s - Quee...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Nordmende Spectra Futura Stereo System, 1968By Raymond LoewyLocated in Lisboa, 11"The Spectra Futura Stereo System is undoubtedly the most iconic product of Nordmende. It is the result of the cooperation between the best engineers ...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Musical InstrumentsMaterials
- Raymond Loewy DF-2000 Valet, FranceBy Doubinsky Freres, Raymond LoewyLocated in Mouscron, WHTRaymond Loewy DF-2000 valet, France.Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Mirror, Plastic, Laminate, Wood
- Rare Collectible Exhibition Framed Poster of Raymond Loewy by Circle GalleryBy Raymond LoewyLocated in San Diego, CANicely original frame original collectible poster by Raymond Loewy, Circle Gallery 1979.Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern PostersMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern 26 Pcs Concorde Cutlery Set by Raymond Loewy for Air FranceBy Raymond LoewyLocated in Doornspijk, NLRaymond Loewy designed this sleek cutlery for the Compagnie d'Esthétique Industriale to be delivered to Air France that served its high class meals with this high class design exclu...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern TablewareMaterials
- Raymond Loewy for Rosenthal China Set Taupe Band Pattern 106 piecesBy Rosenthal, Raymond LoewyLocated in Atlanta, GALarge 106 Piece Set of Modernist "Taupe Band" Pattern China, designed by Raymond Loewy for Rosenthal, German, circa 1950s. The set contains: 12 dinner plates, 9.75" diameter. 12 large soup bowls, 8.75" diameter. 11 lunch plates, 7.5" diameter. 12 bread plates, 6" diameter. 12 dessert bowls, 5" diameter. 16 tea cups, and 21 saucers. 1 gravy boat. Large serving bowl, 10.25" diameter. Pair of oblong plates, 9.75"W. Medium oblong platter, 13"W. Large oblong platter, 15.5"W. Two sugar bowls, one with lid. Creamer. Serving bowl with lid...Category
Vintage 1950s German Mid-Century Modern TablewareMaterials
- Raymond Loewy for Rosenthal Germany Modern Grasses Pattern Coffee Service 3 PcsBy Rosenthal, Raymond LoewyLocated in Miami, FLA Mid-Century Modern porcelain coffee service set consisting of coffee pot, creamer and lidded sugar by Rosenthal in the GRASSES pattern with the icon...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Serving PiecesMaterials
- Coupe Rhythm Tea Pot by Raymond Loewy for Continental China Rosenthal GermanyBy Rosenthal, Raymond LoewyLocated in Miami, FLFrom the iconic Coupe Form dinnerware, created by Raymond Loewy for Continental China in the 1950s, a White Rhythm coffee pot in excellent conditi...Category
Vintage 1950s German Mid-Century Modern Serving PiecesMaterials
Ceramic, Porcelain$108 Sale Price28% Off
- Robert Welch for Old Hall, 1962-4, Alveston Condiment Set, Super Set, ModernistBy Robert Welch, Old Hall Earthenware Co.Located in London, GBRobert Welch for Old Hall, 1962-4 'Alveston' condiment set Stainless steel with black plastic inserts Very good condition, with only light marks Makers stamp to underside of ea...Category
Vintage 1960s British Mid-Century Modern TablewareMaterials
- French Art Deco Horn, Bakelite & Silver Plate Salad Servers, a Cased Set of TwoLocated in Philadelphia, PAA French Art Deco styled salad serving set made of natural horn, Bakelite, and silver plate, circa 1920s. Found in une vente de Maison de Maitre in Vouvent, the Vendée region of Fr...Category
Early 20th Century French Art Deco Serving PiecesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery