Very Rare 1867 Asprey & Co. Coromandel Dressing Table Box Sterling Silver Pearl
About the Item
- Creator:Asprey International Limited (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 6.89 in (17.5 cm)Width: 11.42 in (29 cm)Depth: 8.67 in (22 cm)
- Style:Georgian (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1867
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor structural damages. Minor fading.
- Seller Location:GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2823316923061
Asprey International Limited
Favored for over two centuries by European royalty, movie stars, rock music legends and England’s elite, Asprey International Limited’s reputation for creating elegant, high-quality furniture, jewelry and decorative objects is without equal. The storied manufacturer’s motto — “It can be done” — exemplifies their approach to design, which has proven over time to be both dynamic and enduring. To this day, Asprey International Limited remains a go-to purveyor of luxury goods and bespoke design services.
The roots of Asprey International Limited can be traced all the way back to 1781 when it was founded by William Asprey in Mitcham, Surrey. The business moved to its revered modern location, 166 Bond Street, in 1847. The company’s highly accurate regulator clock, once displayed in the window of their flagship, became a frequent stop for Londoners wishing to reset their watches.
Asprey first gained renown for its manufacture of exquisitely engineered dressing cases, which were compact pieces of luggage that travelers would use to tote their cosmetics and toiletries. At the International Exhibition of 1862, the company received a gold medal for its excellent dressing-case designs and also earned a Royal Warrant from Queen Victoria for their manufacture. Upon his ascension to the throne, King Edward II introduced incredibly formal Buckingham Palace court presentations, balls and soirées, resulting in a huge demand for diamond jewels starting with his coronation in 1902. The court jewelers Asprey, Garrard, Carrington and the newly opened London branch of Cartier were all overwhelmed with orders for sumptuous diamond jewelry to be worn at the king’s elaborate coronation. Currently, Asprey International Limited holds a Royal Warrant from His Royal Majesty Charles, Prince of Wales, for jewelry and silver.
Asprey continued to build its reputation for the production of luxury goods including tableware and silverplate pieces throughout the Victorian period and into the early 20th century. Especially known for its designs of the 1920s and ‘30s, Asprey International Limited considers the Art Deco period to have been its golden age. Their designers embraced the spirited originality of the period with open arms, and Asprey enjoyed a time of intense creativity and debuted a wealth of iconic creations throughout the mid-century modern period, too.
Asprey artisans have designed bespoke pieces for such notable celebrities as British musician Ringo Starr and American actress Angelina Jolie. They have also designed made-to-order accessories for Hollywood movies, most notably the Edwardian-style “Coeur de la Mer,” which was a piece of costume jewelry from James Cameron’s 1997 hit, Titanic. The company’s recreation of the piece — this time designed with actual gems sourced from Sri Lanka — fetched more than $2 million at a fundraiser held in Princess Diana’s honor in 1998. Asprey previously acted as the official jewelry designer for the BAFTA awards and collaborated with Ferrari’s Formula 1 team during the late 1990s.
Asprey International Limited has received many awards and recognitions for its timeless designs. Most notably, it was awarded the Queen's Award to Industry in 1975. The London College of Arms bestowed upon the brand a new official coat of arms in 2006 to mark its esteemed 225-year-long legacy of excellence.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: United Kingdom
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Rare Asprey London Sterling Silver 1917 Jewelry Box Charles & Richard ComynsBy Charles & George Asprey, Asprey International Limited, Asprey & Garrard LimitedLocated in GBWe are delighted to offer for sale this stunning original Asprey London 1917 solid sterling silver Jewellery box with a faux tortoiseshell top made by the amazing Charles and Richard...Category
Vintage 1910s English Art Nouveau Sterling SilverMaterials
- Very Rare 1964 Asprey London Solid Sterling Silver Pin Tray of a Foxes HeadBy Asprey International LimitedLocated in GBWe are delighted to this stunning solid sterling silver 1964 Asprey London foxes head pin tray A very good looking and collectable piece, its fully hal...Category
Vintage 1960s English Art Deco Sterling SilverMaterials
- Rare circa 1900 Sterling Silver Diamond & Enamel Powder Compact with LipstickLocated in GBWe are delighted to offer this stunning circa 1900 French or Italian Sterling silver Diamond & Enamel powder compact with lipstick A very good...Category
Antique Early 1900s European Victorian Sterling SilverMaterials
Sterling Silver, Enamel
- One-Off Winsor & Newton Queen Elizabeth Jubilee Sterling Silver 1977 Artist BoxBy Windsor & NewtonLocated in GBWe are delighted to offer for sale this lovely one of a kind Winsor & Newton 1977 Queen Elizabeth Jubilee presentation with sterling silver ...Category
20th Century English Early Victorian Sterling SilverMaterials
Crystal, Sterling Silver
- Antique circa 1920 Art Deco Asprey & Co London Silver Plated Cocktail ShakerBy Asprey & Garrard LimitedLocated in GBWe are delighted to offer for sale this stunning, circa 1920 Art Deco Asprey & Co London cocktail shaker A good looking and well made piece, these were made for the London elite i...Category
Vintage 1920s English Art Deco BarwareMaterials
- STERLING SILVER TIFFANY & CO ELSA PERETTI STERLING SiLVER CHAMPAGNE BUCKETBy Tiffany & Co., Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.Located in GBRoyal House Antiques Royal House Antiques is delighted to offer for sale this very rare and highly collectable Tiffany & Co, vintage, Signed and made by, in the life time of Elsa Peretti, Tumb print Champaign bucket, fully hallmarked to the base in sterling silver A very collectable solid silver champaign bucket, this is an original signed and made by example, not a later mass produced piece. Sadly the genius that was Elsa Peretti passed away in 2021, since then her original made pieces have sky rocketed in price Peretti’s Thumbprint...Category
20th Century English Art Deco Sterling SilverMaterials
- Asprey Sterling Silver Humidor Box Finely Engraved '#1569' Exceptional!By Asprey International LimitedLocated in Big Bend, WIAsprey Exceptionally stunning sterling silver military humidor box made by Asprey of London, England. This beautiful box has the original fitted case. It is finely hand engraved and engine turned with scenes including: - The king and queen at ascot - Trooping the color...Category
20th Century Sterling SilverMaterials
- Antique German Sterling Silver and Enamel Dressing Table Box, Circa 1930Located in Jesmond, Newcastle Upon TyneAn exceptional, fine and impressive antique German sterling silver and enamel dressing table box; an addition to our diverse range of antique silver boxes and cases. This exceptional German sterling silver dressing table box has a cylindrical form with a domed cover. The surface of the body is embellished with an impressive blue hot enamel panel incorporating scrolling leaf and floral decoration. This antique box is fitted with the original hinged cover embellished with exceptional hot enamel ornamentation, all framed with a plain border. The domed enamel panel to the cover depicts a female in draped layered clothing interacting with a male figure, examining harvested fruits. The interior of the box retains the original gilding. The hallmarks struck to the underside this exceptional box include: Maker's marks: Horn icon(untraced) Silver quality/purity mark: 935, sterling * National mark/reichsmark: Crescent moon and crown (Halbmond und Krone) Dutch Import Duty Mark: ZI (sterling, used from 1953) Condition This antique German box is an exceptional gauge of silver, exceptional quality and in exceptional condition. The enamel panels are in perfect condition. The original gilding details to the body of the box have natural wear in keeping with age. The German hallmarks and Dutch import hallmark struck to the underside of the body are all very clear. Reflections in photographs may detract from the true representation of this piece of German silverware...Category
Vintage 1930s German Decorative BoxesMaterials
- A Very Fine Edwardian Period Sterling Silver Tea Caddy by Asprey of London, 1908By Charles & George AspreyLocated in Ottawa, OntarioThis very fine & relatively heavy sterling silver tea caddy is of timeless design, showing an oval shaped canister decorated with an elegant reeded border to both the shoulder & base...Category
Early 20th Century English Edwardian Tea CaddiesMaterials
- Rare Antique Sterling Silver Tobacco Box, Miniature PipeLocated in NEWARK, GBA fantastic and rare, novelty, antique sterling silver tobacco tin or box. It has been designed as an empty tin can, very realistically detailed and similar in size to a regular f...Category
Early 20th Century British Edwardian Sterling SilverMaterials
- George III Sterling Silver-Mounted Etched Mother-of-pearl Snuff BoxLocated in New York, NYGeorgian (George III) Period, sterling silver-mounted etched mother-of-pearl octagonal snuff box with hinged lid, London, year-hallmarked for 1803. The iridescent mother-of-pearl lid...Category
Antique Early 1800s English George III Sterling SilverMaterials
- Very Large & Stylish Antique Sterling Silver Table Mirror, Gilt, Asprey, 1920By Asprey International LimitedLocated in London, LondonHallmarked in London in 1920 by Asprey & Co. Ltd., this large and very handsome, Antique Sterling Silver Mirror, is elegant in style, wi...Category
Vintage 1920s English Art Deco Sterling SilverMaterials