- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christofle Tea and Coffee Service with Tray
- DimensionsHeight: 2 in. (5.08 cm)Width: 16 in. (40.64 cm)Depth: 22 in. (55.88 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 5
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of ManufactureMid-20th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationBridgeport, CT
- Reference NumberSeller: 538511stDibs: LU175527569663
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity.Ships From: Bridgeport, CT
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Although he started his career as a jeweler in 1830 — after apprenticing with his copper jeweler brother-in-law years earlier — Charles Christofle (1805–63) recognized that Second Empire France had an untapped audience for luxury silverware and tableware.
Gold and silver gilt had been the high-end standard in the 18th century, yet society after the Industrial Revolution demanded a more affordable, but still refined, approach. So in the 1840s, Christofle cornered the market on electrolytic gilding and silver plating, dominating the hold on patents in the country for over a decade. His work soon attracted the attention of Louis-Philippe I and then Napoleon III, under whom he was named Fournisseur de l’Empereur, cementing the prestige of his brand.
While Christofle created decadent centerpieces and tableware for the French palaces — as well as prominent clients like the Orient Express — the company’s electroplating of silverware that was far less expensive than that made by silversmiths attained widespread popularity. At a time when many who could not afford gold or silver still used wooden utensils, Christofle was a game changer for at-home dining. An appearance at the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago furthered the company’s reach to American consumers who would soon rival the manufacturer’s European clientele.
The 20th century saw Christofle adapting to changing tastes in its offerings, such as the Aria collection, which debuted in 1985 with column-like lines on its flatware designed by Bernard Yot, and the playful egg-shaped silverware container introduced in 2015 that opens to reveal a full flatware set. The company also now sells barware, home accessories and even jewelry, harkening back to its roots. Now almost two centuries old, Christofle maintains its reputation as a leading flatware and silverware company under the ownership of the Chalhoub group, its utensils gracing tables in homes, hotels and restaurants all over the world.
- Located in Bridgeport, CTA fine antique service in very good condition. With fine chased decoration in the Japanese manner with decorativ...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Aesthetic Movement Tea SetsMaterials
Vermeil, Silver Plate
- By Dorothy ThorpeLocated in Bridgeport, CTDorothy Thorpe layered etched glass tray with olives and leaves, with swirled and pretzel form Lucite handles. M...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern GlassMaterials
- By Mancioli PotteryLocated in Bridgeport, CTMagnificent set of Italian Mid-Century drum pattern dinnerware by Mancioli. Very good overall condition with no ...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Dinner PlatesMaterials
- By Philip and Kelvin LaVerneLocated in Bridgeport, CTClassic midcentury cocktail table in acid etched patinated bronze, this one in an understated and undecorated mo...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- By Richard MulliganLocated in Bridgeport, CTPair of Richard Mulligan two drawer end tables with pull out tray and planked lower tier. The cases have a Honey...Category
Early 2000s American Rustic Night StandsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s French Sheffield and Silverplate
Vintage 1930s British Art Deco Tea Sets
Silver, Sterling Silver
Vintage 1960s English Sterling Silver
Late 20th Century Italian Other Tea Sets
Antique 1890s French Art Nouveau Tea Sets
Early 20th Century American American Colonial Tea Sets
Early 20th Century English Chinoiserie Tea Sets
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Tea Sets
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery