- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage 1970s Lightolier Brass Waterfall Cage Lamp with White Glass Diffusers
- CreatorLightolier (Maker)
- Similar toTommi Parzinger (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 60.75 in. (154.31 cm)Diameter: 21 in. (53.34 cm)
- StyleHollywood Regency (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970s
- ConditionRepaired: two glass diffusers have a repair. Wear consistent with age and use. Lamp works. Some oxidization on metal parts.
- Seller LocationChattanooga, TN
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2255329877682
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Chattanooga, TN
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Maker
Founded in 1904 in New York and family-operated through most of its history, Lightolier was one of the pioneering American electric lighting companies, best known for its embrace of stylistic and technical innovations.
Collectors focus on vintage Lightolier lighting fixtures produced from the 1950s and into the 1970s, when an in-house design team led by Gerald Thurston — and a stellar cast of international design contributors — created an array of practical yet aesthetically lively table lamps, floor lamps, sconces and chandeliers.
Amidst the post-World War II building boom, Lightolier — the name combines “light” and “chandelier” — aggressively boosted its residential lighting division. Thurston, who was strongly influenced by the sleek designs of Gino Sarfatti and his Italian lighting firm Arteluce, towards simpler lamp designs that offered flexibility of function. His best-known designs include the Cricket task light — a lamp with an adjustable enameled metal hood that toggles on a slender bent-metal base — and the three-legged Tripod floor lamp. At the same time, Thurston had a wonderful eye for talent and sought work from some of the lesser-known greats of the era, such as Paavo Tynell, the Finnish lighting designer, who designed several brass chandeliers for Lightolier with his trademark elegant flamboyance.
And more, Thurston recognized abilities in designers not known for their work in lighting.
Edward Wormley, head of furniture design for Dunbar, produced several noteworthy chandeliers employing canisters and reflective hoods. Alvin Lustig was famed as a graphic designer. His ca. 1953 Ring ceiling fixture for Lightolier had a minimalist techno look some 30 years ahead of its time. But this was par. Designed by Michael Lax in 1964, the Lytegem high-intensity lamp — included in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art — features a ball-shaped shade attached with a chromed armature to a cubic base, a form that would be widely copied in the following decade. Chandeliers designed in the early 1970s by Gaetano Sciolari, with details such as acrylic diffusers and vertical, two-bulb arms, would define the look of lighting in their day.
A look through these pages reveals just how astonishingly wide a range of lighting pieces Lightolier produced. The company never flicked off its stylistic switch.
Find a collection of vintage Lightolier lamps and other lighting fixtures on 1stDibs.
- Two-Head Luxury Brass Vintage Floor Lamp with Capiz Shell Table TopLocated in Chattanooga, TNEverything about this Mid-Century Modern two-head floor lamp screams luxury. Each bit of the lamp was thoughtfully designed, right down to the nuts and bolts. The vintage floor lamp ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Gerald Thurston for Lightolier Walnut and Brass Tapered Table LampBy Lightolier, Gerald ThurstonLocated in Chattanooga, TNVintage 1950s table lamp by Gerald Thurston for Lightolier. The lamp is comprised of a brass rod embellished with an elegantly tapered wood mid-section. The wood is so beautifully tu...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Middle Eastern Moorish Style Hammered Pierced Brass Floor LampLocated in Chattanooga, TNThis hand-hammered decorative pierced brass floor lamp exudes the Moorish / Moroccan style that is exploding on the design scene right now. Adorned top to bottom in Middle Eastern d...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Egyptian Moorish Floor LampsMaterials
Brass$4,995 Sale Price28% Off
- Vintage Calla Lily White Floral Lamp with Gleaming Brass BaseBy Roger RougierLocated in Chattanooga, TNLovely as the flower itself, this calla lily lamp warms your room in more ways than one. The gold colored lamp features four calla lily blooms. Elect to light just one floral, two, t...Category
Vintage 1980s American Hollywood Regency Table LampsMaterials
- Casablanca Black and Green Glass Collar Saucer Dimming Torchiere Floor LampBy Ettore SottsassLocated in Chattanooga, TNElegant Casablanca Lighting torchiere lamp with gold mirrored finish. This stunning lamp is nearly six feet tall. Light beams from the top of the torchiere style floor lamp. Control ...Category
Late 20th Century American Art Deco Floor LampsMaterials
- Solid Oak Brass Pillar Rotunda Table Lamps, circa 1970sLocated in Chattanooga, TNThis set is sold without shades. This beautiful set of table lamps boast an architectural rotunda design with two contrasting materials that complement one another incredibly wel...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Floor Lamps
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Floor Lamps
Fiberglass, Birch, Walnut
Vintage 1970s American American Craftsman Floor Lamps
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Floor Lamps
Vintage 1980s Italian Hollywood Regency Floor Lamps
Vintage 1970s Art Deco Floor Lamps
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Table Lamps
Vintage 1970s Belgian Hollywood Regency Floor Lamps
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Floor Lamps
Mid-20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Floor Lamps
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery