- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Royere Gouffe Cerused Oak Daybed Deco, France, 1930s-1940s Midcentury
- DimensionsHeight: 28 in. (71.12 cm)Width: 84 in. (213.36 cm)Depth: 36.5 in. (92.71 cm)
- StyleArt Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and TechniquesOak,Cerused
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1937
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. very good original condition.
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU189337376543
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
World traveler, polyglot and avant-garde visionary Jean Royère (1902–81) is one of the biggest names in French mid-century design. He was fascinated by different materials, such as raffia and zebrawood, and aesthetics from around the world, from Scandinavian modernism to the traditions of the Middle East. Owing to this venturesome spirit, Royère produced an eclectic body of work that truly doesn’t fit a singular style. One light fixture might have organic shapes reminiscent of Art Nouveau, while a table would be crafted with minimalist straw marquetry.
Born in Paris, Royère studied classics at Cambridge University and then worked for an import-export company. In 1931, he switched gears to design, studying cabinetmaking in the workshops of Faubourg Saint-Antoine and furniture making under the tutelage of Pierre Gouffé. He made his debut in interior design in 1934 when he won a design contest for the brasserie in the Hotel Carlton on the Champs-Élysées.
Royère’s most famous piece of furniture was his biomorphic Boule sofa, sometimes playfully called the Ours Polaire, or Polar Bear. Designed for his mother in 1947, the curved sofa with its fuzzy white velvet shocked the French interior design world when it was displayed at the Art et Industrie exhibition, but it proved enduringly popular with customers, such as the Shah of Iran, who purchased several for his daughter. Royère would continue to design furniture and interiors for an elite clientele, including the kings of Saudi Arabia and Jordan.
Royère retired in 1972, then moved to the United States in 1980. After he died a year later, his archives were given to the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris. His works continue to be highly coveted — Kanye West, for instance, once tweeted that the Polar Bear sofa is his favorite piece of furniture. In 2016, Galerie Patrick Seguin in Paris opened a retrospective of his distinctive designs, from the plush 1943 Eléphanteau chair to the 1963 Tour Eiffel table with its elegant metal supports.
- Pair Modernist Royere Gouffe Cerused Oak Wall Shelf Deco, 1930s, FranceBy Jean Royère, Maison GoufféLocated in New York, NYPair Royere Gouffe cerused oak wall shelf deco, 1930s, France Beautiful cerused wall shelf with an interesting shape. The shelf is a good example of timeless design. This shelf was ...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco ShelvesMaterials
- Royere Gouffe Cerused Oak Pair of Nightstand or Side Tables, France, 1930By Maison Gouffé, Jean RoyèreLocated in New York, NYRoyere Gouffe Cerused oak pair of nightstand or side tables, deco midcentury, France, 1930 Amazing rare Royere tables. Cerused oak. Adds elegance to any decor. One has Gouffe tag....Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco End TablesMaterials
- Majorelle Deco Cerused Oak Game Dining Table Mid-Century France, 1930s-1940sBy Atelier MajorelleLocated in New York, NYMajorelle deco cerused oak game dining table Mid-Century, France, 1930s-1940s Beautiful game table that has two positions. The side portions pull-out to make room for leaf that ex...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Majorelle Six Grey Cerused Oak Brown Barrel Chairs Art Deco, France, 1930s-1940sBy Atelier MajorelleLocated in New York, NYMarjorelle six cerused grey oak barrel chairs Art Deco, France, 1930-1940 Beautiful and rare. Six brown cerused barrel chairs in amazing original condition with new grey upholster...Category
Mid-20th Century French Art Deco Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Ensembles Mobiliers, Charles Moreau Editor Deco Book, 1930s-1940s, FranceBy Charles MoreauLocated in New York, NYLarge incredible book in very good condition documenting and referencing incredible dining sets, bedroom sets and living room sets and furniture pieces from masters such as Royere, A...Category
Vintage 1930s European Art Deco PhotographyMaterials
- Sornay Attributed Deco Rosewood Lounge Chairs, France 1930s-1940s, Mid-CenturyBy Andre SornayLocated in New York, NYSornay attributed deco Animal print rosewood lounge chairs, France, 1930s-1940s Mid-Century. Incredible rosewood chairs with beautiful Patina throughout. Modernist square arms and...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco Lounge ChairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Early 20th Century French Art Deco Night Stands
Vintage 1940s French Art Deco Night Stands
Vintage 1940s French Art Deco Night Stands
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco Night Stands
Vintage 1940s Dutch Dutch Colonial Night Stands
Vintage 1940s Polish Art Deco Night Stands
Vintage 1940s French Beds and Bed Frames
Vintage 1940s French Night Stands
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery