- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Rare Editioned Bronze Hand and Feet Chair by Pedro Friedeberg
- CreatorPedro Friedeberg (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 22.5 in. (57.15 cm)Width: 18 in. (45.72 cm)Depth: 15 in. (38.1 cm)Seat Height: 17.5 in. (44.45 cm)
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1998
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. excellent with only minor wear.
- Seller LocationAtlanta, GA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU94501504762
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Atlanta, GA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About Pedro Friedeberg (Artist)
The sculptor and painter Pedro Friedeberg works in a richly detailed, surreal and eccentric artistic style that blends influences from neoclassical art, M.C. Escher and native Mesoamerican symbolism. He is best known for his Hand chair — a functional sculpture that is an icon of design-as-art.
Friedeberg was born in Florence to German parents and moved with his mother to Mexico at the outset of World War II. As a university student in Mexico City in the 1950s, he initially studied architecture, but his designs for fantastical buildings ran afoul of his rationalist, Bauhaus-oriented teachers. By chance, his drawings came to the attention of Mathias Goeritz, the German-born avant-garde painter and sculptor. He encouraged Friedeberg and made him a protégé. Friedeberg credits his mentor for instilling in him a fanatical attention to detail in his work. Friedeberg produced his first Hand chair in 1961, and has since created numerous iterations. He has also made several variants using other human limbs in different functional forms such as tables and clocks.
While Friedeberg’s sculptural pieces have a gentle character that is sometimes described as spiritual, his paintings are something entirely different. He employs deep perspective to create hypnotic, painstakingly rendered canvases that suggest rooms and cityscapes. Whatever the medium, Friedeberg’s work is arresting and instantly recognizable. The Hand chair, though familiar, remains a captivating piece — both furniture and artwork — that stands apart in any interior. Examples are often priced between $20,000 and $30,000, depending on formal variations (such as a foot-shaped pedestal), material and condition. Smaller functional items such as tabletop clocks bring about $9,000. His paintings and drawings require space; they are meant to be contemplated. Prices on original examples start at about $30,000; prints generally sell in the region of $900. As you will see on these pages, the art and design of Pedro Friedeberg is singular and memorable.
- By Pedro FriedebergLocated in Atlanta, GAA iconic hand chair circa 1970s by Pedro Friedeberg, the famous Mexican surrealist, painter, sculptor and design...Category
Vintage 1970s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- By Pedro FriedebergLocated in Atlanta, GATwo iconic wood and gold-leaf hand and foot sculptures by the celebrated Mexican-American surrealist artist Pedr...Category
Vintage 1960s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
Gold Leaf$4,200 / set
- By Pedro FriedebergLocated in Atlanta, GAA stunning hand and foot table design and made by Mexican Surrealism artist Pedro Friedeberg in his iconic hand ...Category
Vintage 1960s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
You May Also Like
2010s Mexican Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1960s Mexican Chairs
Vintage 1960s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Vintage 1960s Mexican Chairs
Mid-20th Century Mexican Mid-Century Modern Sculptures and Carvings
Vintage 1960s Chairs
Vintage 1950s French Folk Art Slipper Chairs
Vintage 1960s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Side Chairs
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery