Arthur Umanoff Midcentury Iron and Rattan Catchall Table Stool
About the Item
- Creator:Arthur Umanoff (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 15.75 in (40.01 cm)Width: 32 in (81.28 cm)Depth: 20 in (50.8 cm)Seat Height: 15.75 in (40.01 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Unknown
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Countryside, IL
- Reference Number:Seller: 2023-07411stDibs: LU5408234455702
Though much of Arthur Umanoff’s furniture is marked by a no-frills simplicity common in American mid-century modern design, his work is anything but one-note. Over the course of a prolific career, Umanoff designed everything from case pieces to candleholders to dining chairs in iron, leather, walnut, wicker and more. With furnishings for a broad range of manufacturers throughout the ’50s, ’60s, ’70s and early ’80s, Umanoff continued a thread of sculptural elegance and textural sensitivity through his designs.
After graduating from Pratt Institute in the early 1950s, Umanoff experimented mostly with wood furniture before landing a job at Post Modern Ltd, a New York manufacturer of wrought-iron furniture. There he produced furnishings that married wrought iron with wood and plastic, creating functional pieces free of utilitarian bulkiness. Umanoff continued his experimentation with mixed materials through a partnership with Shaver Howard, for whom he designed wine racks in combinations of iron, leather and wicker.
When Shaver Howard bought Boyeur Scott, Umanoff conceived several furniture designs for the brand, including the 1964 Granada collection, whose curlicue iron bases, visible through glass tops, stand out as some of his most ornate and decorative work. Indeed, much of Umanoff’s oeuvre is far more simplistic, like iron-and-pine armchairs for The Elton Co. or low-backed, slatted-seat barstools with slender iron legs for Raymor.
Umanoff was fluent, too, in the more sumptuous modernism of the era: In the mid-1960s, he designed the 2405 and 4449 armchairs for Madison Furniture Industries. Popular in offices, the walnut-framed, leather-upholstered seats, which could have been mistaken for the seductive Scandinavian modern seating of the era, were reportedly the jumping-off point for Captain Kirk’s iconic seat on Star Trek.
Even as he is among the mid-century modern designers you may not know, with work across such a range of styles and manufacturers (most no longer in business), Umanoff, who died in 1985, leaves a legacy that is fascinatingly diverse and at times enticingly elusive, making his work intriguing objects for collectors.
Find vintage Arthur Umanoff furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Countryside, IL
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Arthur Umanoff for Madison Furniture Mid Century Modular Seated BenchBy Arthur Umanoff, Madison FurnitureLocated in Countryside, ILArthur Umanoff for Madison Furniture mid century modular seated bench Bench measures: 87.5 wide x 25 deep x 32 high, with a seat height of 20 inch...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Arthur Umanoff for Madison Furniture Mid Century Modular 2 Seater BenchBy Arthur Umanoff, Madison FurnitureLocated in Countryside, ILArthur Umanoff for Madison Furniture mid century modular 2 seater bench Bench measures: 65 wide x 23 deep x 33 high, with a seat height of 19 inch...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Arthur Umanoff Midcentury Walnut Bar CartBy Arthur UmanoffLocated in Countryside, ILArthur Umanoff midcentury Walnut Bar Cart This bar cart measures: 20.75 wide x 30 deep x 28.75 inches high Extended the depth measures 38.75 inche...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dry BarsMaterials
- Arthur Umanoff for Shaver Howard MCM Rattan and Iron Dining Chairs, Set of 6By Arthur UmanoffLocated in Countryside, ILArthur Umanoff for Shaver Howard MCM Rattan and iron dining chairs - set of 6 Each chair measures: 26.75 wide x 19 deep x 32 inches high, with a seat hei...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Arthur Umanoff for Raymor Mid Century Iron Bench with Nesting StoolsBy Arthur Umanoff, RaymorLocated in Countryside, ILArthur Umanoff for Raymor Mid Century Iron bench with Nesting Stools This bench measures: 60 wide x 15 deep x 16 inches high All pieces of furniture can be had in what we call ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Arthur Umanoff Mid Century Iron Wine RackBy Arthur UmanoffLocated in Countryside, ILArthur Umanoff mid century iron wine rack The wine rack measures: 8.75 wide x 7.75 deep x 13.75 inches high This set is in Great Vintage Condition with minor wear. We take ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Shelves and Wall CabinetsMaterials
- Arthur Umanoff Birch and Iron Bench/Coffee Table with Rush Nesting StoolsBy Arthur UmanoffLocated in Brooklyn, NYArthur Umanoff slatted birch bench/coffee table with iron legs concealing three nesting stools with rush seats (ca. 1950s, USA). Compact piece, ideal for smaller rooms with space li...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Midcentury Chrome and Smoked Bronze Gauffraged Velvet Stool by Arthur UmanoffBy Arthur UmanoffLocated in New York, NYThis stunning pair of stool was realized by the esteemed American designer Arthur Umanoff in the United States, circa 1960. It features circular polished chrome frames with six verti...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Arthur Umanoff Walnut Spindle Stools, USA 1960'sBy Arthur UmanoffLocated in New York, NYA set of spindle stools by Arthur Umanoff in walnut, upholstered in wool. Priced by the pair. Two pairs available.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Wonderful Pair of Arthur Umanoff Wrought Iron Stools Benches Mid-Century ModernBy Arthur UmanoffLocated in Pemberton, NJWonderful pair of Arthur Umanoff stacking stools from the 1964 Grenada Collection for Boyuer Scott, Shaver Howard collections. This pair is in wonderful vintage condition with a love...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Three Stools by Arthur Umanoff, Walnut Spindle Base, Leather Seats, ExcellentBy Arthur UmanoffLocated in Kansas City, MOSet of 3 stools designed by Arthur Umanoff, 1950s. Expertly refinished and reupholstered with new off white / ivory leather tops. Together they also make a nice substitute for a benc...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Unique Wrought Iron and Wicker Gossip Bench in the Style of Arthur Umanoff 1950sBy Arthur UmanoffLocated in Mexico, DFVery unique wrought iron and wicker Gossip Bench from the 50s. in the very simple yet sophisticated style of Arthur Umanoff (doesn´t have authentication)....Category
Mid-20th Century American Modern BenchesMaterials