- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Michael Taylor for Baker Far East Collection Benches
- DimensionsHeight: 16 in (40.64 cm)Width: 66 in (167.64 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1950s
- ConditionReupholstered. Refinished.
- Seller LocationDallas, TX
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU87854108263
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Dallas, TX
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
- Michael Taylor Brass & Teak King Headboard for the Baker Far East CollectionBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Dallas, TXGorgeous brass king size headboard with framed teak panels designed by Michael Taylor for Baker.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Three Seat Sofa Designed by Michael Taylor for BakerBy Dunbar Furniture, Edward WormleyLocated in Dallas, TXEarly and scarcely seen three-seat sofa with fixed back cushions and flared tapering arms designed by Michael Taylor for Baker. A very comfortable sofa with incredibly clean lines. R...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Upholstery$8,400 Sale Price40% Off
- Edward Wormley for Dunbar Table or Bench with Magazine DisplayBy Edward Wormley, Dunbar FurnitureLocated in Dallas, TXAn exceptional Dunbar coffee table or bench (Model 5933a) with built-in brass rods for suspending magazines. Another option would be to recess a glass top over the rods to use as a s...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
- 1960s Baker Silver Label Onyx and Mahogany Side TableBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Dallas, TXVintage baker side table with gorgeous exotic onyx marble top and mahogany frame with brass detailing. Matching coffee table available separately.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End Tables
- Sabre Leg Cocktail Table/BenchBy T.H. Robsjohn-GibbingsLocated in Dallas, TXIn the manner of T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings this custom mahogany table has a handwoven rattan top. It would also serve as a bench if a cushion was added. Nice lines. Unmarked.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Benches
- Architectural Florence Knoll T-Angle Table BenchBy Florence KnollLocated in Dallas, TXEarly Florence Knoll 'T-Angle' table bench with original black laminate tops. Would serve well and an oversized coffee table or cocktail table but it is built in a way that would eas...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Michael Taylor Far East Collection Settee for BakerBy Michael TaylorLocated in Pasadena, TXMichael Taylor Far East Collection settee for baker Michael Taylor designed sofa for the Baker Far East collection. Ebonized lattice back and frame with Ming style legs. Upholste...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Chinoiserie LoveseatsMaterials
- Pair of Armchairs by Michael Taylor for Baker Far East CollectionBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Norwalk, CTA modern Classic from the Far East collection designed by Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture, launched in 1949. These chairs have been fully restored in black satin lacquer and all n...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Far East Collection Chinoiserie Stools or OttomansBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous pair of Mid-Century Modern Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie footstools or ottomans By Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture, "Far East Collection" USA, Circa 1960s Carv...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- 1950s, Vintage Michael Taylor for Baker Far East CollectionBy Michael TaylorLocated in Fort Washington, MDOriental Lounge Armchairs designed by Michael Taylor from the Far East Side Collection for Baker Furniture with brass accents, low sleek form, and wonderful carvings. Baker label to ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Lounge Chairs, Walnut + Brass + Far East CollectionBy Baker Far East Collection, Michael Taylor, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Decatur, GAMichael Taylor for Baker - Far East Collection - Model 2510 - circa 1948 Exquisite pair of sculpted solid walnut and brass lounge chairs. Horseshoe or wishbone back with sled base. ...Category
Vintage 1940s American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Lounge Chairs, Walnut + Brass + Far East CollectionBy Michael Taylor, Baker Far East Collection, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Decatur, GAMichael Taylor for Baker - Far East Collection - Model 2510 - circa 1948 3 chairs available Exquisite sculpted solid walnut and brass lounge chairs. Horseshoe or wishbone back with...Category
Vintage 1940s American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials