Pair of Tufted Leather Benches by Baker Furniture
About the Item
- Creator:Baker Furniture Company (Maker)
- Dimensions:Height: 31.5 in (80.01 cm)Width: 34.5 in (87.63 cm)Depth: 17.5 in (44.45 cm)Seat Height: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Directoire (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:20th Century
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU842735347482
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Pair of French Leather Tufted BenchesLocated in Los Angeles, CAPair of leather tufted French Louis XV style benches. There are beautiful carved details throughout. The bench stands on four cabriole legs that end in rams head feet. They are up...Category
Antique Early 1900s French Louis XV BenchesMaterials
- Pair of English Walnut Finished Leather BenchesLocated in Los Angeles, CAPair of English Chippendale style walnut benches with brown leather upholstery.Category
Vintage 1920s English Regency BenchesMaterials
- Pair of French Carved Benches c. 1930sLocated in Los Angeles, CAPair of French painted Louis XV style benches standing on four cabriole legs with rams head feet. The benches are newly upholstered in a washed Belgium linen with nailhead trim detail.Category
Vintage 1930s French Louis XV BenchesMaterials
- English Leather Upholstered Bench W/ Nailhead TrimLocated in Los Angeles, CAEnglish Regency style walnut carved bench upholstered in a tobacco colored leather with nailhead trim detail. The bench has matching scrolls on bot...Category
Vintage 1930s English Regency BenchesMaterials
- Italian Carved Giltwood Bench W/ Embossed LeatherLocated in Los Angeles, CA19th C. giltwood Italian Rococo style bench. The bench is beautifully hand carved with details of scrolled acanthus leaves and flowers throughout. The bench is newly upholstered in a...Category
Antique 19th Century Italian Rococo BenchesMaterials
- Leather Upholstered English Bench w/ Egg & Dart DetailLocated in Los Angeles, CA19th C. English Tutor style walnut bench with egg/dart detail. The bench stands on four bun feet. The handsome bench is covered in a rich leather with antique nailhead trim detail.Category
Antique Late 19th Century Italian Tudor BenchesMaterials
- Milling Road Baker Furniture Upholstered BenchBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Brooklyn, NYMilling Road 20th century bench with hardwood frame and upholstered seat and sides. Versatile design style that can easily compliment either home or office environment. Please confir...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern BenchesMaterials
- Pair of Long Modern Tufted Leather BenchesLocated in New York, NYPair of long modern Tufted leather benches. The frames of the benches are white metal.Category
- Roll Arm Bench or Chaise in Silk by Thomas Pheasant for Baker FurnitureBy Thomas Pheasant, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLRoll arm bench or Chaise in Silk by Thomas Pheasant for Baker Furniture Baker Furniture item number 6392, out of production. Muted yellow textured silk upholstery. Welt base standard, original Sable finish beech solids...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern BenchesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Tufted Bench by Meuller FurnitureBy Mueller FurnitureLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis unique vintage bench features a tufted vinyl upholstery covering the seating surface ensuring comfort. A sturdy chrome cantilevered base provides stability and style. A distinct...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Tufted Leather BenchBy Knoll, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Philadelphia, PALeather Bench or Couch, bought from a Psychiatrist Office in Philadelphia! Dates to the Early 1960's Leather in very nice shape! Aluminum Legs support the box Upholstered Cushion.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials