- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Late 19th Century Pair of Circular Throne Chairs by Carlo Bugatti, Vellum,Walnut
- CreatorCarlo Bugatti (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 36 in (91.44 cm)Width: 18 in (45.72 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1900
- ConditionReplacements made: Tassels replaced circa 1970. Wear consistent with age and use. Wonderful warm honeycomb rich patina to the vellum. Pewter in amazing condition. Original overall condition, wear consistent with age and use. Tassels replaced Circa 1970. Minor rubbing the illustrations.
- Seller LocationShrewsbury, GB
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU5740224096802
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Imaginative, bold and full of poetic details, the work of Carlo Bugatti pushed the boundaries of the Art Nouveau style. The Italian furniture designer and decorative artist’s celebrated chairs, tables and other pieces are representative of a range of influences that include European Gothic, Moorish traditions and classical Japanese art. Bugatti’s appetite for experimentation with new forms and materials has fueled the imaginations of designers everywhere.
Bugatti was born in 1856 in Milan. The son of successful interior decorator, sculptor and architect Giovanni Bugatti, Carlo set out to follow in his father’s footsteps, studying architecture at the Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera and working as a cabinetmaker. He moved to Paris in 1875 to continue his studies in design at the prestigious Academie des Beaux-Arts. By the early 1880s, Bugatti had moved back to Milan to continue his career in furniture design.
Antique Bugatti seating, center tables and other large furnishings are visually striking in their level of ornamentation. These works feature hand-carved motifs and were frequently inlaid with luxury materials such as mother-of-pearl, ebony and brass — his distinctive Throne chair (ca. 1900), for example, featured pierced copper and vellum. Detailed themes rooted in nature, stencils and geometric patterns adorn his venturesome decorative screens and handcrafted mahogany and walnut chairs and tables.
In 1888, the designer displayed his work publicly for the first time, showcasing pieces at the Industrial Arts Exhibition in Milan and later at the Italian Exhibition in London. His flamboyant furniture led to his becoming an overnight success among members of the aristocracy, who flooded him with commissions to design custom furniture for their homes. In 1904, Bugatti and his family moved to France, where designed furniture for department stores such as Maison Dufayel and Le Bon Marché. His two sons also pursued work in design — Rembrandt Bugatti became a noted sculptor while Ettore gained renown as a leading automobile designer and manufacturer.
Although his furniture became increasingly subdued in appearance over the years — and he would eventually begin to design serveware and jewelry — Bugatti garnered acclaim throughout his career. He received an award at the 1900 Paris Exposition and exhibited interiors and a furniture collection at the inaugural International Exposition of Modern Decorative Arts in Turin, Italy, in 1902. Today, Bugatti’s work remains on permanent display at the Musée de la Chartreuse in Molsheim, France.
Find antique Carlo Bugatti seating, tables and case pieces on 1stDibs.
- Late 19th Century Carlo Bugatti Large Centre Table with Vellum & Beaten CopperBy Carlo BugattiLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA large Centre Carlo Bugatti table with the most beautiful intricate decorations. Within the highly stylised decoration you can see many cultural references and inspirations - Mooris...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Italian Center TablesMaterials
- Late 19th Century Large Full Length Key Hole Mirror by Carlo BugattiBy Carlo BugattiLocated in Shrewsbury, GBMany of Carlo Bugatti's superior pieces were commissioned by a number of the Royal Houses of Europe, some of the Great Estates of America and Europe and some of the most successful f...Category
20th Century Italian Floor Mirrors and Full-Length MirrorsMaterials
- Carlo Bugatti 19th Century Three Seater Sofa, Japanese, Moorish,Islamic,EuropeanBy Carlo BugattiLocated in Shrewsbury, GBMany of Carlo Bugatti's superior pieces were commissioned by a number of the Royal Houses of Europe, some of the Great Estates of America and Europe and some of the most successful f...Category
20th Century European SofasMaterials
- 19th Century Gillows of Lancaster Walnut & Leather Upholstered Library Arm ChairBy Gillows of Lancaster & LondonLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA 19th century Gillows of Lancaster walnut and leather upholstered library arm chair, with exceptional overall condition and colour. The button down deep green leather is in perfect ...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century British Victorian ArmchairsMaterials
- Late 19th Century Rococo Marble Topped Mahogany & Ormolu Mounted Centre TableLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA 19th century marble topped mahogany and ormolu mounted centre table. It has distinctive Rococo Revival charecteristics being marble topped, made of mahogany, with ornate nature bas...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Rococo Revival Center TablesMaterials
- Mid 19th Century Brown Leather Library Chair with Carved Dolphin Arms, MahoganyLocated in Shrewsbury, GBMid 19th century mahogany leather library armchair. The button down deep brownleather is in perfect condition and luxurious to touch. The mahogany carved fish arms provide superb int...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century ArmchairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Antique Mid-19th Century English Victorian Chairs
Vintage 1940s Unknown Arts and Crafts Chairs
Antique 19th Century Italian Armchairs
Antique Early 1900s Italian Art Nouveau Chairs
20th Century Italian Moorish Chairs
Antique 1880s Italian Renaissance Chairs
Early 20th Century Italian Art Nouveau Chairs
Early 20th Century Italian Art Nouveau Chairs
Antique Late 19th Century Austrian Vienna Secession Chairs
Antique Late 19th Century American Late Victorian Side Chairs
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery