- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Sam Larsson for DUX Armchairs in Cognac Leather
- DimensionsHeight: 31.11 in (79 cm)Width: 24.81 in (63 cm)Depth: 23.23 in (59 cm)Seat Height: 16.93 in (43 cm)
- StyleScandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Every item Morentz offers is checked by our team of 30 craftsmen in our in-house workshop. Special restoration or reupholstery requests can be done. We guarantee a very highquality standard, ask our design specialists for detailed information.
- Seller LocationWaalwijk, NL
- Reference NumberSeller: 450130301stDibs: LU933124179202
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Waalwijk, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 10 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Dux of Sweden
Today, Swedish manufacturer DUX’s most popular furniture lines — as well as the furnishings created by its first president, Folke Ohlsson — are synonymous with the work that vintage mid-century modern design obsessives love. Also important, the brand is known for some of the most commonplace means of furniture shipping and production in the modern era.
In Sweden, Studio Ljungs Industrier AB is the large family-owned parent company of Duxiana (in America, DUX). Initially a purveyor of bedding that is today celebrated for its ergonomically guided designs, Ljungs Industrier was founded by entrepreneur (and chocolate maker) Efraim Ljung in 1926. In 1950, Folke Ohlsson, then leading Ljungs Industrier’s design team, decamped to the States to explore how he could expand DUX’s business, which at that point included a wide range of furniture. Ohlsson established a DUX office not long after he arrived in California, first in San Francisco and later in Burlingame.
On the West Coast, the booming postwar American market was eager to embrace DUX’s affordable and practical bedroom furnishings, tables, armchairs and other seating. Characterized by sleek walnut and teak frames and low-slung silhouettes, the brand’s designs were emblematic of a generation of Scandinavian modernism that had gained popularity owing to visionaries such as product designer and architect Greta Magnusson-Grossman, who arrived in California from Sweden a decade prior to Ohlsson, and Finn Juhl, who created a Danish modern line for Michigan’s Baker Furniture Company in 1951.
DUX frequently collaborated with top-tier furniture design talent — among them Bruno Mathsson, Edward Wormley and Alf Svensson, a chief designer in the Malmö, Sweden, office of Ljungs Industrier — expanding the brand’s portfolio and establishing credibility as a design source. Ohlsson’s own designs, such as his comfortable leather lounges and wool-upholstered reclining rocking chairs, continue to be among the brand’s most desirable — and most imitated — however.
In 1949, DUX put into practice an idea that Ohlsson patented for the so-called “knock-down,” or “KD,” chair, a term referencing easy, flat-pack assembly. It saved DUX space in warehouses and money on transportation and was a concept that would provide inspiration to hundreds of subsequent companies — most notably fellow Swedish brand IKEA.
Established in 2006, Morentz has a team of approximately 55 restorers, upholsterers, interior advisers and art historians, making it a gallery, workshop and upholstery studio, all in one. Every day, a carefully selected array of 20th-century furniture arrives from all over the world at the firm’s warehouse, where the team thoroughly examines each piece to determine what, if any, work needs to be done. Whether that means new upholstery or a complete restoration, Morentz's aim is always to honor the designer’s intention while fulfilling the wishes of the client. The team is up to any challenge, from restoring a single piece to its original glory to furnishing a large-scale hotel project.
- Sam Larsson for DUX Armchairs Model ‘Sam’ in Cognac LeatherBy Sam Larsson, Dux of SwedenLocated in Waalwijk, NLSam Larsson for DUX International, dining chairs model 'Sam', cognac leather, fabric, chrome-plated metal, Sweden, design 1974 Dining chairs model ‘Sam’ designed by Sam Larsson (1...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Danish Armchair in Cognac LeatherLocated in Waalwijk, NLArmchair, walnut and oak, Denmark, 1950s This lounge chair in oak presents an open-arm frame. The lounge chair is upholstered in cognac fabric which shows a subtle patina. This desi...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern ChairsMaterials
- Børge Mogensen for Fredericia Pair of Armchairs in Oak and Cognac LeatherBy Børge Mogensen, Fredericia StolefabrikLocated in Waalwijk, NLBørge Mogensen for Fredericia Stolefabrik, pair of armchairs model 3237, oak, leather, Denmark, 1964. This pair of armchairs reminds of the classical foldable 'director-chairs', y...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Danish Armchair in Cognac LeatherLocated in Waalwijk, NLArmchair, walnut and oak, Denmark, 1950s. This lounge chair in oak presents an open arm frame. The lounge chair is upholstered in cognac fabric which shows a subtle patina. This des...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Oak, Walnut$6,700 / set
- Rare Børge Mogensen for Fredericia Pair of ‘Safari’ Armchairs in Saddle LeatherBy Fredericia Stolefabrik, Børge MogensenLocated in Waalwijk, NLBørge Mogensen for Fredericia Stolefabrik, pair of ‘Safari’ armchairs model 2221, saddle leather, oak, brass, Denmark, 1960s This rare pair of armchairs reminds of the classical f...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Danish Armchair in Original Leather and WalnutLocated in Waalwijk, NLArmchair, leather and walnut, Denmark, 1940s. This dining chair has incredible sensuous details. This is for instance visible in the swirling armrests or the tapered and curved le...Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Birch, Fabric, Canvas
Vintage 1960s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
20th Century Swedish Scandinavian Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1970s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Armchairs
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Leather, Jute, Wood
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Mid-20th Century German Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Leather, Wood, Walnut
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Recently ViewedView More
Morentz Writes the Next Chapter for Furniture with a Storied Past
Dutch dealer Matthijs Hoveijn specializes in the best of mid-century modern design, selling it to discerning clients around the world.
Paris Designer Luis Laplace Enlivens Old-World Rooms with Art
The Argentinian-born talent has a knack for helping serious collectors show off their impressive holdings.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery