- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings Teak Daybed
- CreatorT.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 14.25 in (36.2 cm)Diameter: 84 in (213.36 cm)Seat Height: 14.25 in (36.2 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1950s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationNorwalk, CT
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU4741128278142
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Norwalk, CT
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
British-born designer, interior decorator and author T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings (1905–76) was one of the great American tastemakers in the middle decades of the 20th century. Much like Edward Wormley, Robsjohn-Gibbings was a design classicist by education and inclination, but he would come to create some of the most gracious and livable modern furnishings of the era.
Robsjohn-Gibbings studied architecture at the University of London, then held various jobs that included designing décors for passenger liners and working as the art director of a film studio. In the early 1930s, while employed by the upper-crust interior designer Charles J. Duveen, Robsjohn-Gibbings experienced an epiphany during a visit to the British Museum. Examining the furniture depicted on ancient Greek ceramics — lithe stools and klismos chairs — he realized that he had found a design touchstone. By 1936, he had moved to New York and set up a showroom on Madison Avenue for his modern reinterpretations of classic Greek designs. Aided by contacts he’d developed while working with Duveen, he quickly established a clientele that included Elizabeth Arden, Doris Duke and Thelma Chrysler Foy.
Through his writings for magazines and books, Robsjohn-Gibbings earned a public following and was established as an urbane arbiter of taste. From 1943 to 1956, he produced an understated line of modernist furnishings for Widdicomb, which included one of the icons of the period: the tiered, biomorphic Mesa coffee table (1951). Robsjohn-Gibbings moved to Athens, Greece, in 1966, and created a new line of antiquity-inspired pieces for the firm Saridis. The series turned out to be his swan song.
Collectors’ interest in Robsjohn-Gibbings was reignited in the 1980s, when the 200-plus pieces from his 1936–38 commission for the Bel-Air estate of Los Angeles socialite Hilda Boldt Weber — pared-down neoclassical pieces rendered in blond wood (with the occasional flourish) — came on the market. (Up until then, the collection had remained in the house, despite its having changed hands several times.)
But his work for Widdicomb remains his most widely known, appreciated for its elegance and generous proportions. Robsjohn-Gibbings despised the stern aesthetic associated with his Bauhaus contemporaries, and a keynote of his modernist pieces is that they have no sharp angles. His chair and sofa frames, table legs and even many cabinets feature softly contoured edges. In whatever styled he designed, Robsjohn-Gibbings was guided by simplicity and timelessness. He wanted his furniture to be lived with happily.
- Pair of James Mont Green Velvet ChairsBy James MontLocated in Norwalk, CTPair of James Mont green velvet side chairs. Upholstery in good condition with a few small marks. Great for a boudoir, chic living room or study. Measure: Diameter: 21 inches.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Wood, Velvet$6,850 / set
- Lisa Johansson-Pape Pine Clover StoolsBy Lisa Johansson-PapeLocated in Norwalk, CTLisa Johansson-Pape pine clover stools, 1960s.Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
Pine$2,800 / set
- Swedish Midcentury Brown Leather and Wood Dining Chairs, Set of 6Located in Norwalk, CTSwedish midcentury brown leather and wood dining chairs, set of 6.Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Bamboo Stool with White CushionLocated in Norwalk, CTNew Perennials fabric cushion.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Johannes Aasbjerg Rosewood Coffee TableBy Johannes AasbjergLocated in Norwalk, CTJohannes Aasbjerg rosewood coffee table.Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Daybed by T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings for SaridisBy T.H. Robsjohn-GibbingsLocated in Brussels, BEDaybed by T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings for Saridis.Category
Vintage 1960s Greek Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
- T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings White Lacquered Walnut Daybed New Abstract UpholsteryBy T.H. Robsjohn-GibbingsLocated in Rockaway, NJT.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings white lacquered walnut daybed new abstract linen like fabric upholstery. Tufted with square buttons. Stunning looking piece.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern SetteesMaterials
- Pair of T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings SofasBy T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings, Widdicomb Furniture Co.Located in Brooklyn, NYPare of incredibly rare T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings Sofa Model 1711 for Widdicomb. Sofas can be delivered in Customer Ordered Material. Freshly woven cotton webbing in a bright ivory hue ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings for Widdicomb SofaBy T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings, Widdicomb Furniture Co.Located in Brooklyn, NYIncredibly rare T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings sofa model 1711 for Widdicomb. Sofa may be delivered in customer ordered material. Freshly woven cotton webbing in a bright ivory hue complimen...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Walnut TH Robsjohn-Gibbings Daybed for Widdicomb, USA, 1960sBy T.H. Robsjohn-GibbingsLocated in New York, NYA TH Robsjohn-Gibbings daybed from his collaboration with John Widdicomb in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This line was a modern take on many classic designs, the bed carries the lines see...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
- T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings BenchBy T.H. Robsjohn-GibbingsLocated in New York, NYT.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings bench with splayed walnut legs and a tufted cushioned seat.Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials