Alessandro for Baker Furniture Upholstered X-Base Dining Chairs, Set of Six
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 37.63 in (95.59 cm)Width: 21 in (53.34 cm)Depth: 22.5 in (57.15 cm)Seat Height: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 6
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1980s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very good original vintage condition. Sturdy and ready for use. Minor wear to upholstery and frames from age and use. Set shows beautifully.
- Seller Location:South Bend, IN
- Reference Number:Seller: 64481stDibs: LU2745335738672
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: South Bend, IN
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Charles Pfister for Baker Furniture Modern Primavera Dining Chairs, Set of SixBy Baker Furniture Company, Charles PfisterLocated in South Bend, INA stylish set of six modern dining chairs By Charles Pfister for Baker Furniture USA, 1980s Primavera wood, with upholstered s...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Baker Furniture Chippendale Carved Mahogany Dining Chairs, Set of SixBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional set of six Chippendale style dining chairs By Baker Furniture USA, Circa 1980s Carved solid mahogany frames, with cabriole legs, ball and claw feet, and brass...Category
Vintage 1980s American Chippendale Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Baker Furniture Georgian Carved Mahogany Dining Chairs, Set of SixBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous set of six Georgian or Chippendale style dining chairs By Baker Furniture USA, Circa 1940s Carved mahogany frames, with vinyl upholstered seats. Measures: Sid...Category
Mid-20th Century American Georgian Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Baker Furniture Chippendale Carved Mahogany Dining Chairs, Set of SixBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous set of six Chippendale style dining chairs By Baker Furniture USA, Circa 1980s Carved solid mahogany frames with cabriole legs and ball and claw feet, and upholst...Category
Late 20th Century American Chippendale Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Baker Furniture Historic Charleston Carved Mahogany Dining Chairs, Set of SixBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous set of six Queen Anne style dining chairs By Baker Furniture "Historic Charleston Collection" USA, Circa 1980s Solid carved mahogany frames, with ivory damask uph...Category
Late 20th Century American Queen Anne Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Baker Furniture Solid Cherry Wood Regency Dining Chairs, Set of SixBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INAn outstanding set of six Regency style dining chairs. By Baker Furniture USA, Circa 1980s Solid cherry wood frames, with gray velvet upholstered seats. Measures: Side c...Category
Late 20th Century American Regency Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 4 Baker Furniture Regency Dining ChairsBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Pasadena, TXBaker Furniture Regency dining chairs 3 side chairs 1 arm chair Side chairs 20.5" W x 19.5" D x 34.75" H Armchairs 23" W x 19.5" D x 34.75" H...Category
Late 20th Century North American Regency Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Six Silver Label Baker Furniture Chinese Style Ming Dining ChairsBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Dallas, TXGorgeous set of six vintage Baker Ming chairs. Very well constructed and very comfortable. All original. Baker dining side chairs 40.25” H x 21.5” W x 2...Category
Mid-20th Century American Hollywood Regency Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Custom Set of Eight Baker Furniture Ebonized Dining ChairsBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Bridgeport, CTTwo arm and six side chairs in a midcentury style with curved and open X form backs. The frames were custom ebonized, raised on square tapering legs, splayed in the back. The seats u...Category
20th Century Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Biedermeier for Baker Set of 6 Dining ChairsBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Pasadena, CAThe high-end Baker manufacturer was inspired by this so refined Biedermeier style and made these chairs with the same attention. Biedermeier itself was inspired by the Directoire Fr...Category
Antique 1830s American Biedermeier Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Birdseye Maple, Upholstery
- Set of Six Michael Taylor for Baker Walnut and Leather Dining ChairsBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Chicago, ILSet of six rare V-back dining chairs. Clean lines, excellent construction and unique form. Includes two arm chairs and four side chars. Each chair has a bleached walnut frame, with V...Category
Vintage 1950s American Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Cane, Leather, Walnut
- Chic Set of 8 Dining Chairs by Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture, circa 1960By Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Atlanta, GAThis magnificent set of dining chairs is shipped as professionally photographed and described in the listing narrative: Meticulously professionally restored, newly upholstered and co...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials