Italian Alfresco Style Dining Chairs by CENTURY FURNITURE - Set of 4
About the Item
- Creator:Century Furniture (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 41.5 in (105.41 cm)Width: 24 in (60.96 cm)Depth: 24 in (60.96 cm)Seat Height: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 4
- Style:French Provincial (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Date of Manufacture:1980s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. All are in good, structurally sound, and sturdy condition with no notable damage to wood and spotless fabric. The photos are an important part of the item description and condition so please use the zoom feature to view them closely.
- Seller Location:Lake Worth, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5963229377592
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Lake Worth, FL
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- French Provincial Cane Dining Chairs by Century Furniture, Set of 6By Century FurnitureLocated in Lake Worth, FLFor FULL item description click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this page. Offering One Of Our Recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions Of A Set of (6) French Provincial Cane Back Dining Chairs by CENTURY...Category
Vintage 1970s French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Faux Bois Dining Chairs Lacquered by Century Furniture Set of 6By Century FurnitureLocated in Lake Worth, FLFor FULL item description click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this page. Offering One of our recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions of a set of 6 lacquered f...Category
Vintage 1970s Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Os De Mouton Wingback Dining Chairs by Century Furniture, Set of 8By Century FurnitureLocated in Lake Worth, FLOffering one of our recent palm beach estate fine furniture acquisitions of a Set of (8) Os De Mouton wingback dining chairs by Century Furnitu...Category
Vintage 1980s Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- French Provincial Mahogany Dining Chairs by Bau Furniture Co, Set of 6By Bau Furniture 1Located in Lake Worth, FLFor full item description be sure to click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this listing. Offering one of our recent palm beach estate fine furniture acquisitions of a set of...Category
Vintage 1980s French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Linen Dining Chairs by Directional Furniture Co, Set of 6By DirectionalLocated in Lake Worth, FLOffering One Of Our Recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions Of A 1991 Set of 6 Linen Dining Chairs by DIRECTIONAL Furniture Co Se...Category
1990s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Italian Dining Chairs by S.p.A. TONON, Set of 7Located in Lake Worth, FLOffering One Of Our Recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions Of A Set of 7 Italian Dining Chairs by S.p.A. TONON Featuring a light wood finish and embossed Vinyl seat...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Century Furniture Traditional Dining Chairs, Set of 8By Century FurnitureLocated in Countryside, ILCentury Furniture traditional dining chairs - Set of 8 Each chair measures: 25 wide x 23 deep x 39.5 high, with a seat height of 19.5 and ar...Category
2010s American Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- 6 Century Furniture Deer Creek Caribou Dining Chairs Old World French CountryBy Century FurnitureLocated in Dayton, OHA stunning set of six century dining room chairs. 4 deer creek / mill room side chairs paired with the caribou club arm chair, sierra finish. An elegant blend between French Country ...Category
Late 20th Century French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Six Neoclassical Style Dining Chairs ItalianLocated in San Francisco, CASet of Six Walnut Neoclassical Dining Chairs with urn carved back splat sitting on four tapering legs. Italian, Circa 1850. The drop in seats recently upholstered.Category
Antique Mid-19th Century Italian Neoclassical Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 6 Rosewood Frame Dining Chairs by Founders Furniture Co.By Founders Furniture CompanyLocated in New York, NYBeautiful and rare set of 6 dining chairs, by Founders Furniture Co. as part of their Patterns 15 collection. Six armchairs each with upholstered backs and seats (upholstery as is) ....Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
- Set of 4 Dining Chairs, Teak, Nova Furniture, 1960Located in Lejre, DKSet of 4 armchairs in teak wood, designed by Nova furniture from around the 1960s. The chairs are made of nice gray fabric in very fine condition. Dimensions in cm: H: 75 W: 47 D: 4...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Mid Century Italy Dining 60er Chair Carimate Style Set of 4Located in Munich, BavariaItalian dining chairs. Manufacture and designer is unknown. In the manner of Carimate Chair. From the 70ties. Comfortable dining chairs. Made of brown lacquered beechwood and p...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Papercord, Beech, Lacquer