Set of 6 Vintage Chin Hua Drexel Heritage Dining Chairs
About the Item
- Creator:Drexel (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 32 in (81.28 cm)Width: 20 in (50.8 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1960s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Pasadena, TX
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU867118563402
While vintage Drexel Furniture dining tables, dressers and other pieces remain highly desirable for enthusiasts of mid-century modern design, the manufacturer's story actually begins decades before its celebrated postwar-era Declaration line took shape.
In 1903, in the small town of Drexel in the foothills of North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, six partners came together to found a company that would become one of the country’s leading furniture producers. The first offerings from Drexel Furniture were simple: a bed, washstand and bureau all crafted from native oakwood, sold as a bedroom suite for $14.50.
One of Drexel’s early innovations was to employ staff designers, something the company initiated in the 1930s. This focus on design, which few other furniture companies were committing to at the time, allowed Drexel to respond to a variety of new and traditional tastes. This included making pieces inspired by historic European furniture, like the popular French Provincial–style Touraine bedroom and dining group that borrowed its curves from Louis XV-era furniture. Others replicated the ornate details of 18th-century chinoiserie or the embellishments of Queen Anne furniture. Always ready to adapt to new customer demands, during World War II, Drexel built a sturdy desk designed especially for General Douglas MacArthur.
In the postwar era, Drexel embraced the clean lines of mid-century modernism with the Declaration collection designed by Stewart MacDougall and Kipp Stewart that featured elegant credenzas and more made in walnut, and the Profile and Projection collections designed with sculptural shapes by John Van Koert. In the 1970s, Drexel introduced high-end furniture in a Mediterranean style.
Drexel changed hands and visions throughout the years. It was managed by one of the original partners — Samuel Huffman — until 1935, at which time his son Robert O. Huffman took over as president. It was then that the company began to expand, with several acquisitions of competitors in the 1950s, including Table Rock Furniture, the Heritage Furniture Co. and more. With the manufacturer’s success — spurred by its embrace of advertising in home and garden magazines — it opened more factories in both North and South Carolina. By 1957, the company that had started with a factory of 50 workers had 2,300 employees and was selling its furniture nationwide.
Drexel underwent a series of name changes in its long history. Its acquisition of Southern Desk Company in 1960 bolstered its production of institutional furniture for dormitories, classrooms, churches and laboratories. In the following decades, contracts with government agencies, hotels, schools and hospitals brought its high-quality furniture to a global audience. U.S. Plywood-Champion Papers bought Drexel Enterprises in 1968, and it became Drexel Heritage Furnishings.
In 2014, the last Drexel Heritage plant, in Morganton, North Carolina, reportedly closed its doors. The company rebranded as Drexel in 2017.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Pasadena, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Set of 6 Vintage Chin Hua Drexel Heritage Dining ChairsBy DrexelLocated in Pasadena, TX6 Drexel heritage Chin Hua side chairs Includes 5 side chairs and 1 armchair Measures: Armchairs 23" W x 18" x 32" H Seat H 17.25", arm H 25.25" Side chairs 20" W x 18" D...Category
Vintage 1960s North American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 6 Chin Hua Dining Chairs by Raymond Sabota for Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXChin Hua dining chairs by Raymond Sabota for Century Furniture Company Set of 6 dining chairs by Century Furniture. Part of the Chin Hua coll...Category
Late 20th Century Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Six 239-4 Edward Wormley Precedent by Drexel Dining ChairsBy Edward Wormley, DrexelLocated in Pasadena, TXEdward Wormley designed for Precedent Side Chairs series 239-4 in 1947. Set of 6 dining chairs, solid wood construction, natural finish. D...Category
Vintage 1950s North American Neoclassical Revival Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 4 Vintage Mid Century Dining ChairsLocated in Pasadena, TXCane inset back and chrome tubular frame. Fabric upholstered seat. Reupholstery recommended.Category
Vintage 1960s Unknown Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Eight Vintage Italian High Back Dining ChairsLocated in Pasadena, TXA set of eight vintage Italian high back dining chairs. These chairs feature leather upholstery for the seats and backrests and mahoga...Category
Mid-20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Vintage Danish Style Side Dining ChairsLocated in Pasadena, TXSet of four Danish style side chairs Walnut frame, original caning in back panel Vintage multi-colored fabric, original finish, very good vintage condition. This is for a ...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Bamboo Rattan Dining Chairs by Drexel Heritage, Set of 6By DrexelLocated in Jacksonville, FLSet of 6 rattan barrel-shaped arm chairs by Drexel Heritage feature bow back with cane insert and two-toned finish. Good condition with imperfections consistent with age, see photos ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Organic Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Chin Hua Chinoiserie Dining ChairsBy Century FurnitureLocated in Toronto, ONYour chance to own a rare set of Century Furniture Dining Chairs. This style is a more modern version of the Century Furniture Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota dini...Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Drexel Heritage Georgian Carved Mahogany Dining Chairs, Set of FourBy DrexelLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous set of four Georgian or Chippendale style dining chairs By Drexel Heritage USA, Circa 1980s Carved solid mahogany frames, with red & white toile upholstered seats. Mea...Category
Vintage 1980s American Georgian Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Chin Hua Chinoiserie Dining Chairs W/ ArmsBy Century FurnitureLocated in Toronto, ONYour chance to own a rare set of Century Furniture Dining Chairs. This style is a more modern version of the Century Furniture Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota dining chairs available from...Category
Vintage 1980s American Chinoiserie Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Drexel Klismos Caned High Back Dining Chairs, Set of 6By DrexelLocated in Lake Worth, FLOffering one of our recent Palm Beach estate fine furniture acquisitions of A Set of 6 Mid-Century Modern vintage Drexel Klismos leg caned high back d...Category
Vintage 1970s Unknown Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- DREXEL HERITAGE Mahogany Empire Style Dining Side Chairs - Pair ABy DrexelLocated in Charlotte, NCA pair of dining side chairs in the Empire style by Drexel Heritage. Solid mahogany with carved barback crest rail, carved backrest, upholstered seat in a red & silver colored stripe...Category
Mid-20th Century American Empire Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery