- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Set of Eight Caned Back Dunbar Dining Chairs
- CreatorEdward Wormley (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 32 in (81.28 cm)Width: 24 in (60.96 cm)Depth: 20.5 in (52.07 cm)Seat Height: 19 in (48.26 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 8
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1950s
- ConditionRefinished. Reupholstered. Minor losses. refinished, reupholstered, new cane, leather samples available.
- Seller LocationSt.Petersburg, FL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU802925916652
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: St.Petersburg, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
As the longtime director of design for the Dunbar furniture company, Edward Wormley was, along with such peers as George Nelson at Herman Miller Inc., and Florence Knoll of Knoll Inc., one of the leading forces in bringing modern design into American homes in the mid-20th century. Not an axiomatic modernist, Wormley deeply appreciated traditional design, and consequently his work has an understated warmth and a timeless quality that sets it apart from other furnishings of the era.
Wormley was born in rural Illinois and as a teenager took correspondence courses from the New York School of Interior Design. He later attended the Art Institute of Chicago but ran out of money for tuition before he could graduate. Marshall Field hired Wormley in 1930 to design a line of reproduction 18th-century English furniture; the following year he was hired by the Indiana-based Dunbar, where he quickly distinguished himself. It was a good match.
Dunbar was an unusual firm: it did not use automated production systems; its pieces were mostly hand-constructed. For his part, Wormley did not use metal as a major component of furniture; he liked craft elements such as caned seatbacks, tambour drawers, or the woven-wood cabinet fronts seen on his Model 5666 sideboard of 1956. He designed two lines for Dunbar each year — one traditional, one modern — until 1944, by which time the contemporary pieces had become the clear best sellers.
Many of Wormley’s signature pieces — chairs, sofas, tables and more — are modern interpretations of traditional forms. His 1946 Riemerschmid Chair — an example is in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art — recapitulates a late 19th-century German design. The long, slender finials of his Model 5580 dining chairs are based on those of Louis XVI chairs; his Listen-to-Me Chaise (1948) has a gentle Rococo curve; the “Precedent” line that Wormley designed for Drexel Furniture in 1947 is a simplified, pared-down take on muscular Georgian furniture. But he could invent new forms, as his Magazine table of 1953, with its bent wood pockets, and his tiered Magazine Tree (1947), both show. And Wormley kept his eye on design currents, creating a series of tables with tops that incorporate tiles and roundels by the great modern ceramicists Otto and Gertrud Natzler.
As the vintage items on 1stDibs demonstrate, Edward Wormley conceived of a subdued sort of modernism, designing furniture that fits into any decorating scheme and does not shout for attention.
- Set of Four Elegant Dining Chairs by Harvey ProbberBy Harvey ProbberLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA set of elegant, high back dining chairs by Harvey Probber. Finished in black lacquer.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Dining Chairs by Kai Kristiansen in Brazilian RosewoodBy Kai KristiansenLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA rare set of four (4) dining chairs, OD70 designed by Kai Kristiansen and made in Denmark by OD MØBLER, circa 1960s. Sculptural frames in Brazilian rosewood with beautiful graining,...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Hans Wegner Dining Chairs for Carl Madsen in OakBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA set of Classic of four W2 chairs by Hans Wegner for Carl Madsen, circa1950s. Retaining nice patina, these oak chairs are comfortable and have their original black leather seats. So...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Pair of 1950s Edward Wormley for Dunbar Cane Back Chairs Model 5700aBy Edward Wormley, Dunbar FurnitureLocated in St.Petersburg, FLPair of 1950s Edward Wormley for Dunbar Cane back chairs model 5700a. The continuous laminated ash legs wrap around the entire chair and form the swooping arch back. The pressed cani...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Bouclé, Cane, Ash
- Slipper Chairs by Edward Wormley for Dunbar Janus CollectionBy Edward WormleyLocated in St.Petersburg, FLStylish and elegant slipper chairs by Edward Wormley for Dunbar ca' 1950's. Upholstered in Fret custom Italian silk velvet, luxurious to the touch, (samples available). Chocolate bra...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Slipper ChairsMaterials
- Sculptural Chair in Teak By Svegards MarkarydBy Svegards MarkarydLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA sculptural, classic Danish style chair by Svegards Markaryd, Sweden, 1950's. Beautiful patina, teak darkened with age. Great details, original papercord seat. This chair looks grea...Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Eight Upholstered Dining Chairs by Dunbar, 1970sBy Dunbar FurnitureLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLSet of Eight Upholstered Dining Chairs by Dunbar, 1970s. Set of eight dining chairs in wood and upholstery by Dunbar, 1970s. Four shown. Two arms, six sides upholstered in Jack Lenor...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Eight Roger Sprunger for Dunbar Dining Chairs, 1960sBy Roger Sprunger, Dunbar FurnitureLocated in Hamburg, PAA sturdy set of eight Roger Sprunger for Dunbar dining chairs. The set of stylized chairs have high backs and X-bases to create a dramatic effect. These ebonized chairs are structura...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 5 Milo Baughman Curved Cane Back Dining ChairsBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Wayne, NJSet of 5 Milo Baughman curved cane back dining chairs.Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- MCM Dining Chairs Cane Backs Klismos Legs - Set of 4Located in Lake Worth, FLFor FULL item description click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this page. Offering One Of Our Recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions Of A Set of 4 Mid Century Mo...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Cotton, Cane, Oak
- Set of Eight English Regency Walnut Caned Dining ChairsBy Theodore AlexanderLocated in Rio Vista, CARare set of eight English regency style dining chairs hand-crafted by Theodore Alexander. The chairs feature solid walnut frames with double cane inset panels on the scrolled back. T...Category
20th Century Regency ChairsMaterials
- Set of Eight French Provincial Lacquered Caned Dining ChairsBy Ira YeagerLocated in Rio Vista, CADramatic set of eight French provincial mahogany dining chairs featuring a black lacquered finish. Restored, recaned, and painted by Ira Yeager (American 1938-2022) for his gallery i...Category
Antique 19th Century French French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials