Vintage Arne Norell Leather and Chrome Ari Lounge Chair and Ottoman
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 30 in (76.2 cm)Width: 25.75 in (65.41 cm)Depth: 38 in (96.52 cm)Seat Height: 15 in (38.1 cm)
- Style:Scandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1966
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. In good condition with wear such as patina on the leather and chrome bases. See photos.
- Seller Location:San Jose, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1582234194112
Arne Norell’s enduring designs mixed leather and metal as well as turned wood and bentwood in pieces that allowed the natural beauty of these materials to shine. Simple and casual yet sophisticated, his vintage sofas, lounge chairs and other furniture epitomize the Scandinavian modern style that took post–World War II design by storm.
Although he created versatile furnishings that promoted comfort along with style, Norell is lesser known than many other mid-century designers, with some of his work produced only after his death. Born in Åsele, Sweden, Norell opened a furniture workshop in Solna, just north of Stockholm, in 1954. In 1958, he established Møbel AB Arne Norell on a farm in Småland. (This region is also the birthplace of IKEA, which opened its first store that same year.) The beauty and tranquility of this location were a source of inspiration.
In Småland, Norell created his most well-known designs, among them the Inca armchair with visible wooden dowels and plush leather, the Indra and Ilona sofas and the spare but elegant wood-framed Sirocco chair (1964). For many of his designs, Norell looked to the same military-style campaign furniture that had, decades prior, inspired the revered Safari chair (1933) crafted by Kaare Klint, a legendary Danish designer and Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts professor who taught the likes of Hans Wegner, Ole Wanscher and others.
Like these earlier furniture designers, Norell was committed to making comfortable and practical furniture. Using leather and warm woods as the building blocks of his work, he eschewed glue and screws, instead securing his designs with buckles and leather straps. In 1973, Norell earned posthumous recognition from the British Furniture Manufacturers Association for his sumptuous Ari chair, a luxurious lounge set on a chrome-plated steel frame with foam cushions covered in leather.
During his lifetime, Norell’s work was popular among European interior designers. However, it became more widely known after 1971, when many of his designs were finally put into production. Norell’s furnishings, as well as work by his daughter Marie Norell-Möller and other Swedish designers, are still crafted by hand in the Aneby, Sweden, factory operated by Norell Furniture, which has remained a family-run company.
Find a collection of authentic vintage Arne Norell furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Jose, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Pair of Rosewood High Back Leather Lounge Chairs and Ottoman by KalustekiilaBy KalustekiilaLocated in San Jose, CAMid-Century Modern high back lounge chair set in rosewood manufactured by Kalustekiila, Finland circa 1970s. This set provides plenty of comfort featuring the original green tufted leather cushions...Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Sculptural Cocobolo Rosewood Leather Lounge Chair and Ottoman by Don ShoemakerBy Don S. Shoemaker, SenalLocated in San Jose, CAMid-Century Modern leather sling lounge chair and ottoman designed by Don Shoemaker in cocobolo rosewood manufactured by Senal S.A., Mexico. This sculptural set features flowing rose...Category
Vintage 1960s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Scandinavian Rosewood and Black Leather High Back Lounge ChairLocated in San Jose, CAMid century modern highback lounge chair in rosewood and leather circa 1960's, Denmark. Features the original patinated black leather and sculptural curved armrests supported by rose...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Takeshi Nii Leather and Chrome Sling ChairBy Sueki Uchida, Takeshi NiiLocated in San Jose, CAMid-Century Modern lounge chair designed by Takeshi Nii for Sueki Uchida, circa 1970s. Features a low sling seat of natural saddle leather with a high backrest, supported by a chrome...Category
Vintage 1970s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Vintage Danish Teak and Leather Armchairs by Grete Jalk for GlostrupBy Glostrup Møbelfabrik, Grete JalkLocated in San Jose, CAMid-Century Modern pair of lounge armchairs designed by Grete Jalk for Glostrup Møbelfabrik. This set features sculpted teak arms and a comfortable curved backrest. They have been pr...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Barrel Boucle Tub Chairs by Lawrence Peabody for Richardson NemschoffBy Richardson Nemschoff, Lawrence PeabodyLocated in San Jose, CAMid century modern pair of round barrel tub chairs designed by Lawrence Peabody for Richardson Nemschoff, circa 1950's. This ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Arne Norell 'Ari' Lounge Chair with Ottoman in Patinated Black LeatherBy Norell Möbel AB, Arne NorellLocated in Waalwijk, NLArne Norell for Norell Møbel AB, 'Ari' lounge chair and ottoman, patinated black leather, chrome-plated steel, Denmark, 1966 The lounge chair and accompanying ottoman, known as th...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Arne Norell Ari Lounge Chair in Patinated LeatherBy Arne Norell, Norell Möbel ABLocated in Esbjerg, DKLow slung steel framed leather 'Ari' Lounge chair by Swedish designer Arne Norell from 1966. This vintage lounge chair comes with original patinated leathe The soft high gloss chro...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Arne Norell ‘Ari’ Lounge Chair and Ottoman in Original Black Leather Sweden, 60sBy Arne Norell, Norell Möbel ABLocated in WIJCKEL, NLComfortable lounge chair and ottoman designed by Arne Norell. This award winning lounge chair is made of high quality matt polished steel and original black leather. The set is in ni...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Arne Norell 'Ari' Lounge Chair in Patinated Brown LeatherBy Norell Möbel AB, Arne NorellLocated in Waalwijk, NLArne Norell for Norell Møbel AB, 'Ari' lounge chair, leather, chrome-plated steel, Sweden, 1966 This lounge chair is designed by Arne Norell. The whole frame is executed in chrome-...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Arne Norell "Ari" Lounge Chairs Cognac Leather Chromed SteelBy Arne Norell, Norell Möbel ABLocated in Philadelphia, PAThis beautiful pair of lounge chairs were designed in the 1960s by Arne Norell for Norell Moebel. The frames are made of two curves of chrome-plated steel, and the single cushions ha...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Original Arne Norell “Ari” Lounge Chair and OttomanBy Arne NorellLocated in Hampstead, QCOriginal Arne Norell “ARI” lounge chair with matching ottoman, 1970’s. Designed in 1966, the Ari was awarded “Showpiece of the year in 1973 by the British Furniture Manufacturers in ...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery