Rare and Exceptional 'Gilda' Circle Sofa in Velvet by Michel Ducaroy, 1972
About the Item
- Creator:Ligne Roset (Manufacturer),Michel Ducaroy (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 27.56 in (70 cm)Diameter: 118.12 in (300 cm)
- Style:Hollywood Regency (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1972
- Seller Location:Echt, NL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1805323947952
The Togo sofa isn’t the only piece of furniture Michel Ducaroy designed, but it is certainly the one that he will be long remembered for. The cozy, crumpled pillow-like sofa seems never to go out of style, and its features encapsulate Ducaroy’s design philosophy of combining ergonomics and comfort with high-tech synthetic materials like foam, quilting and thermoformed plastics.
Ducaroy was born into a family of French furniture manufacturers who specialized in residential interiors as well as fittings for ocean liners. However, he elected to study sculpture at the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Lyon, and this foundation would greatly influence his work and the way he thought about shape and form. Ducaroy worked at the family business and later founded his design studio in 1952.
In 1954, Ducaroy began working with Ligne Roset, the French family-run manufacturing giant known across the world for creating high-end seating. There, he was able to propel the research and development of their designs, and his work quickly became integral to the company’s identity.
Ducaroy’s innovations with thermoformed plastics and biomorphic forms can be seen in early designs for Ligne Roset in the ’60s and ’70s, like the cozy, modular Adria chair and low-sitting Kashima sofa. He designed the Togo furniture line in 1973 using an innovative all-foam seating structure that was covered with polyester; decades later the Togo sofa remains a Ligne Roset best seller.
The low rise and unique curve of any Ducaroy sofa make it instantly recognizable, and the distinctly Pop art–inspired, organic forms that the celebrated designer created from synthetic materials like polyester and foam made a powerful statement at their inception, as they continue to do now.
Find a collection of new and vintage Michel Ducaroy sofas, lounge chairs and other furniture on 1stDibs.
With enduring designs like the immensely plush, Pop art–inspired Togo lounge chair and sofa, Ligne Roset has become synonymous with radical luxury furniture. However, when Antoine Roset (1841–93) started the company in 1860 in the small French town of Oussiat, its focus was on wooden umbrella handles.
In 1892, Ligne Roset’s founder expanded with a property in Montagnieu where he set up a wood-processing factory, eventually expanding into manufacturing chairs. After his death, his wife, Marie-Victorine, took over before his son, Emile Roset, began leading the company in the 1910s. It wasn’t until after World War II that Antoine’s grandson, Jean Roset, would recognize the need for furniture in settings like schools, hospitals and retirement homes and take inspiration from Scandinavian modern design for functional pieces made primarily from affordable beech.
Under Jean, Ligne Roset supplied quite a few European institutions with beautiful wood furnishings. In the 1970s, he shifted the company’s focus again, this time looking to domestic and residential markets. Around this time, Jean’s two sons, Pierre and Michel, joined the company. Ligne Roset opened its first store in 1973 with one of the most popular collections being designer Michel Ducaroy’s Togo modular sofa and chairs — classics of contemporary French design that look like oversize bent pillows.
After the success of this initial designer collaboration, Ligne Roset brought on more guest designers over the following decades, including Didier Gomez, Pascal Mourgue, Peter Maly, Pierre Paulin, Inga Sempé and Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec. Paulin’s Elysée sofa and Pumpkin chair — designed in 1971 for Elysée Palace — are among the brand’s most popular pieces.
The brand continues to be run by the Roset family who works on revolutionary furniture in partnership with a variety of collaborators. It has operated in Briord since 1973 where it produces its iconically sleek and innovative pieces.
Find new and vintage Ligne Roset sofas, lounge chairs, tables and other furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Echt, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Ultra Rare Michel Ducaroy Platform Sofas in Cognac Leather, 1970sBy Michel DucaroyLocated in Echt, NLSet of ultra rare Michel Ducaroy platform sofas in very good condition. Manufactured in France in the 1970s The sofas consist of a low platform made of black laminated wood and a ...Category
20th Century French Space Age SofasMaterials
- Italian Sectional Sofa in polished Steel and Velours by Cassina , 1970sBy CassinaLocated in Echt, NLImpressive sectional sofa in very good condition. Manufactured by Cassina Italy in the 1970s The sofa consists of four seating elements and one side table / Armrest. Each element...Category
20th Century Italian Space Age Sectional SofasMaterials
Metal, Stainless Steel
- Large Sofa by Ate Van Apeldoorn in Solid Pine, Netherlands, 1970sBy Houtwerk HattemLocated in Echt, NL3-seat sofa by Ate Van Apeldoorn in good condition. The sofa is manufactured in Holland by Houtwerk Hattem in the 1970s. It is made of solid pine wood which is connected by trade...Category
20th Century Dutch Mid-Century Modern SetteesMaterials
Fabric, Bouclé, Wood, Pine
- Poltrona Frau Vanity Fair Sofa by Renzo FrauBy Poltrona Frau, Renzo FrauLocated in Echt, NLPoltrona Frau vanity fair sofa in beautiful yellow leather. The Vanity Fair is a replica of the celebrated 904 model that was part of Polt...Category
20th Century Italian Art Deco SetteesMaterials
- Beautiful Neoclassical Sofa by Maison Jansen, France, 1970sBy Maison JansenLocated in Echt, NLNeoclassical sofa in excellent condition Manufactured by Maison Jansen, France 1970s The sofa is upholstered in a beautiful thick burgundy natural leather which is in excellent condition. The back and the armrests are held together by a leather rope which is wrapped around solid brass knobs...Category
20th Century French Neoclassical SofasMaterials
- Danish Curved Banana Sofa in a Powder Pink Wool Fabric, 1940sLocated in Echt, NLHigh quality Danish curved ‘banana’ sofa in excellent condition. This sofa has beautiful organic lines and a voluptuous appearance. It is f...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern SetteesMaterials
Fabric, Wool, Bouclé, Oak
- Gilda Sofa by Michel Ducaroy for Ligne Roset, 1972By Michel Ducaroy, Ligne RosetLocated in ABCOUDE, UTRare 'Gilda' sofa by Michel Ducaroy made in 1972. This early edition is manufactured by 'Roset', which was the company name of Ligne Roset prior to 1973. The beautiful original purpl...Category
Vintage 1970s SofasMaterials
Upholstery$12,972 / set
- Three-Seater Sofa 'Togo' by Michel Ducaroy for Ligne RosetBy Michel Ducaroy, Ligne RosetLocated in Los Angeles, CAStunning cognac colored aniline leather 3-seater from the "Togo" series, designed by Michel Ducaroy for Ligne Roset, France, 1973. This piece has been professionally reupholstered at...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- French Vintage Togo Sofa in Black Leather by Michel Ducaroy for Ligne RosetBy Ligne Roset, Michel DucaroyLocated in Eindhoven, Noord BrabantThe Togo was designed by Michel Ducaroy in 1973 for Ligne Roset. It is the first piece of furniture ever made only of foam and leather. The innerwork consists of foam in 5 different ...Category
20th Century French Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Ligne Roset by Michel Ducaroy Togo Pink Modular Sofa and Footstool, Set of 5By Ligne Roset, Michel DucaroyLocated in London, GBThe iconic Togo sofa, originally designed by Michel Ducaroy for Ligne Roset in 1973 has become a design Classic. This four-piece modular set is incredibly versatile and can be con...Category
Vintage 1970s French Sectional SofasMaterials
- Ligne Roset by Michel Ducaroy Togo Brown Leather Sofa, Set of 4By Ligne Roset, Michel DucaroyLocated in London, GBThe iconic Togo sofa, originally designed by Michel Ducaroy for Ligne Roset in 1973, has become a design classic. This four-piece modular set is incredibly versatile and can be configured into one large corner sofa or split for a multitude of seating arrangements. Comprising two small sofas...Category
1990s French Sectional SofasMaterials
- Ligne Roset by Michel Ducaroy Togo Red 3-Seater Sofa, Set of 2By Ligne Roset, Michel DucaroyLocated in London, GBThe iconic Togo sofa, originally designed by Michel Ducaroy for Ligne Roset in 1973 has become a design Classic. This two-piece set can be configured into one large sofa or used a...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- 20th Century Luigi Massoni Poltrona Frau Dilly Dally Vanity Dressing Table, 60sBy Poltrona Frau, Luigi MassoniLocated in Turin, TurinDressing table model Dilly Dally designed by Luigi Massoni for Poltrona Frau in 1960s. The dressing table is composed of two pieces, one round armchair (which alone measures 70 x 65 x 60 cm) and the table itself with space for accessories and a round mirror. It has a wooden structure with faux leather upholstery, chrome metal, mirrored crystal and Abs. The upholstery is completely restored in light brown faux leather and in good condition. The two pieces can be easily moved thanks to wheels. Presence of the original brand mark as shown in photos. Published in: - Domus n. 466, settembre 1968; - Domus n. 488, luglio 1970, p. 40; - G. Gramigna, Repertorio del design italiano...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
Faux Leather, Mirror
- Vintage Rare 1970's Tura Double Rim Brown Lenses Sunglasses Made in JapanBy Aldo TuraLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandRare Vintage Tura oversized sunglasses circa 1970's by Tura. This is a seldom and rare piece not only for its aesthetic value but for its importance in the sunglasses and fashion ...Category
1970s French Sunglasses
- Antique Set of (6) French Botanicals from a Monastery School that Opened in 1892Located in Chicago, ILAntique set of (6) French pressed botanicals dating from the late 1800's to the early 1900's (larger and smaller sets are available through 1stdibs). Our extensive collection of antique French pressed botanicals came out of a monastery school that opened in 1892. When the school closed, we were fortunate enough to be able to acquire their entire collection of antique French botanicals, along with their mineral collection...Category
Antique Early 1900s French Country Natural SpecimensMaterials
- Josef Frank for Svenskt Tenn Early Edition 'Flora' CabinetBy Svenskt Tenn, Josef FrankLocated in Waalwijk, NLJosef Frank for Svenskt Tenn, cabinet ‘Flora’, early edition model 852, mahogany, oak, hand-colored paper, Sweden, designed circa 1937/38, produced 1946/47s. This cabinet follows Frank’s idea to design the surfaces of cabinets in a different, uncommon way. In the early 1930s Frank began to cover cubic cabinets...Category
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
Paper, Mahogany, Oak
- Exclusive And Iconic Beetle Brooch in 18 Karat Yellow Gold And Ebony WoodBy Eva SoussanaLocated in Paris, FREva Soussana and her partner the "Atelier Franck Mico", are proud to introduce to you the "Helmet" Beetle, an exclusive and iconic piece created by Eva Soussana and Franck Mico, manu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Artist BroochesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$42,404Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery