- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Classic Frits Henningsen Sofa in Cuban Mahogany Danish Midcentury
- CreatorFrits Henningsen (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 30 in. (76.2 cm)Width: 88 in. (223.52 cm)Depth: 32 in. (81.28 cm)Seat Height: 17 in. (43.18 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1940s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationBridgeport, CT
- Reference NumberSeller: 04-0341stDibs: LU2373313605672
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Bridgeport, CT
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Danish cabinetmaker Frits Henningsen never compromised on quality. His furniture is known for its impeccable craftsmanship, and unlike many designers of his day, Henningsen — a dogged perfectionist — rarely permitted any of his pieces to be built outside of his own workshop. Each of his elegant low-profile tables, chairs and sofas feature the clean lines and graceful curves typically associated with vintage mid-century modern and Scandinavian modern furniture.
Henningsen was born in 1889 and apprenticed as a cabinetmaker in the early 1900s. He was mentored by the well-known and respected cabinetmaker I.P. Mørck and completed his apprenticeship at the age of 22. Henningsen also studied at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, where one of his teachers was legendary furniture designer Kaare Klint, who is frequently called the father of Danish modernism. Henningsen saw Klint as a friendly rival, which motivated him to refine his craftsmanship and technique.
Henningsen traveled throughout Germany, France, and Great Britain to gather knowledge, experience and inspiration. He returned to Copenhagen in 1915 and set up a furniture store and workshop to create and sell his own designs. He also developed relationships with Rud Rasmussen and Carl Hansen & Søn, the only furniture manufacturers he trusted to produce his designs.
Bucking the angular and geometric furniture trends of the time, Henningsen embraced fluid and organic forms. Much of his inspiration came from the Rocco, French Empire and British 17th-century styles he encountered on his travels. The 1930 Heritage chair is a prime example of these influences. It features soft, curving lines and has a sophisticated appeal. Another piece that showcases Henningsen’s style and craftsmanship is the 1952 Signature chair. A striking work that features an inviting curved seat atop sinuous carved wood legs, the Signature chair was his last design.
The straightforward and timeless style of Henningsen furniture continues to enjoy popularity today. In fact, in 2015, Carl Hansen & Son rereleased the iconic Signature chair.
- Frits Henningsen Style Two-Seat Sofa in Oak by Søren Willadsen, Denmark, 1940sBy Frits Henningsen, Soren Willadsen MobelfabrikLocated in Bridgeport, CTBeautiful and very elegant Frits Henningsen style sofa manufactured and marked with label by Søren Willadsen, Denmark probably sometime in the 1930s-1940s. Framed in oak with the fra...Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Mid-Century Modern SetteesMaterials
- Frits Henningsen Style Danish 1940s Low Lounge Chair in MahoganyBy Frits HenningsenLocated in Bridgeport, CTBeautiful Classic 1930s-1940s solid mahogany and wool wingback chair in the style of Master Cabinetmaker Frits Henningsen, Denmark. Very elegant design that fits superbly into any mo...Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Scandinavian Modern Wingback ChairsMaterials
- Frits Henningsen Lounge Chair, Denmark, circa 1950By Frits HenningsenLocated in Bridgeport, CTClassic Frits Henningsen lounge chair made in Denmark, circa 1950. Frits Henningsen's elegant and modern style go equally well in very modern environments or with something more trad...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Frits Henningsen Highback Lounge Chair Denmark, late 1940'sBy Frits HenningsenLocated in Bridgeport, CTClassic Frits Henningsen lounge chair made in Denmark late 1940's to early 1950s. Frits Henningsen's elegant and modern style here is a classic Cotil fabric, go equally well in very ...Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Midcentury Danish Sofa with Teak ArmrestsLocated in Bridgeport, CTElegant Danish 1950s sofa resplendent with teak arms and base, offers up impeccable flowing lines in the classic Danish design tradition. Solid fronts legs with brass shoes paired wi...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Teak$1,700 Sale Price50% Off
- Midcentury Danish Modern 3-Seat Sofa in Teak and Wool by Kurt OstervigBy Kurt ØstervigLocated in Bridgeport, CTVery cool sofa designed by Kurt Ostervig and manufactured in the early 1960s. Classic 1960s design with low elegant lines and yet enough of a presence to anchor a living room. Covere...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
You May Also Like
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1940s Danish Art Deco Sofas
Vintage 1930s Danish Scandinavian Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Daybeds
Vintage 1940s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern Sofas
Vintage 1940s Danish Scandinavian Modern Sofas
Early 20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern Sofas
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery