A slightly diminutive carved walnut canapé or settee, made at the outset of the reign of the Empress Maria Theresa. Though its dating precedes the Franco-Austrian alliance, Regence and early Louis XV period French stylistic influences are apparent, including the reverse serpentine crest and seat front rails; yet it incorporates the earlier baroque stretcher form. Rare and unique, especially at the foot of a bed; or in a bay, alcove or hall.
- Of the Period
- Place of origin
- Date of manufacturec. 1740
- Materials and techniques
- ConditionGood. Recent upholstery; usable 'as is' if acceptable color-wise. 'Cured' old worm holes; the frame and structure is thoroughly sturdy and solid. Fabric is unsoiled..
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
H 32.5 in. x W 58 in. x D 20 in.
H 82.55 cm x W 147.32 cm x D 50.8 cm
- Seat height16 in. (40.64 cm)
- Seller locationWoodbury, CT
- Seller reference number1504 JJEE C/AW
- Reference numberU1207168667352
About the Seller
1stdibs seller since 2009
Typical response time: 1 hr
Located in Woodbury, CT
You may also contact the seller by phone
Why Shop on 1stdibs?
Only Vetted, Professional Sellers
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Fully Insured Global Deliveries
More From This Seller
You May Also Like