- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Willy Rizzo Three-Seat Modern Sofa in Brown Strié Velvet, circa 2010s, Signed
- CreatorWilly Rizzo (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 29 in. (73.66 cm)Width: 92 in. (233.68 cm)Depth: 40 in. (101.6 cm)Seat Height: 17.5 in. (44.45 cm)
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture2010s
- ConditionExcellent condition with only very minor noticeable wear, only noticeable upon close inspection. Ready to be used immediately.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1330227148062
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Long Beach, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Renowned Italian furniture designer Willy Rizzo is celebrated for having produced eye-catching, sensational showpieces that merged plush fabrics with wood, metal and glass. Influenced by European modernists and drawing on the spare forms and clean lines of the American mid-century modern style, Rizzo prized functionality and simplicity in his dazzling work.
Born in Naples, Rizzo never intended on designing furniture. Instead, he began pursuing photography at the age of 12. By the 1960s, he had become a notable photographer, having captured images of such celebrities as Marilyn Monroe, Fred Astaire and Spanish artist Salvador Dalí. His experience with furniture design came about inadvertently when he moved to Rome in 1966. There, Rizzo rented an apartment with his wife Elsa that he described as "practically uninhabitable." Dissatisfied with the Scandinavian furniture options on offer, Rizzo built sofas, coffee tables and other furniture to suit the space's strong modern vibe. When his friends saw what he had accomplished, they were enamored by his furniture creations and commissioned him to build similar items for them.
The demand for Rizzo’s furniture grew from there. He established a production facility and workshop in Tivoli, just outside of Rome, which grew to house over 150 employees. There, finding inspiration in the work of iconic architects including Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier, he created more than 30 unique furniture designs. Over the years he opened boutiques around the world to showcase and sell his furniture.
Rizzo prided himself on seamlessly blending the contemporary with the classic. “It was about creating something new for a traditional setting,” he said of his work. From his sleek sideboards to his low-profile side tables, elegant chairs and entire living room sets, Rizzo's style sensibility is evident throughout every detail of his designs.
Rizzo sold his company in 1978 and returned to photography. However, the presence of his furniture resonated into the new century and is sure to impact interior décor enthusiasts into the next. Over the years, high-profile collectors of Rizzo’s work have included French actress Brigitte Bardot, Salvador Dalí and American musician Lenny Kravitz.
Automaton is the premier source for early-production originals of hard-to-find 20th-century designs and functional art, serving a range of clients, from celebrities and interior designers to aficionados with modest budgets. Its 20,000-square-foot Los Angeles space is packed with rare examples of designs from a large repertoire of such designers as Philip and Kelvin LaVerne, Vladimir Kagan, Eero Saarinen, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Jorge Zalszupin, Sergio Rodrigues and Giuseppe Scapinelli.
- Percival Lafer 'MP-97' Rosewood Three-Seat Sofa, Brazil, c. 1970By Percival LaferLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis gorgeous MP-97 three-seat sofa by Brazilian designer Percival Lafer for Lafer MP was designed in 1970, this example an early production made for Brazil. Featuring a Rosewood fra...Category
Vintage 1970s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Rosewood, Faux Leather$9,600 Sale Price20% Off
- Vladimir Kagan for Directional 'Cloud' Sofas in New Nubby Bouclé, c 1980, SignedBy Vladimir Kagan, DirectionalLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis spectacular pair of Vladimir Kagan 'Cloud' sofas were produced by Directional in circa 1980 and were newly reupholstered in a gorgeous nubby bouclé fabric, both sofas signed und...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern SofasMaterials
- Italian Channel Tufted Curved Sofa in Cut Velvet with Brass Legs, 1950sBy Gigi RadiceLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis gorgeous Italian Mid-Century Modern loveseat features a channel tufted fluted cushioned back over a curve shaped seat in brown and black cut velvet upholstery rising on tapered ...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Brass$4,150 Sale Price27% Off
- Buffalo Leather Sofa by Robert and Trix Haussmann for Knoll, c. 1988, SignedBy Knoll, Robert and Trix HaussmannLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis phenomenal buffalo leather three-seat sofa is by Robert and Trix Haussmann for Knoll International (designed in 1988) and signed with Knoll decking fabric and Knoll Made in Ital...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern SofasMaterials
Aluminum$14,000 Sale Price22% Off
- Burgundy Leather Sofa by Pierluigi Cerri for Poltrona Frau, c 1990, SignedBy Pierluigi Cerri, Poltrona FrauLocated in Los Angeles, CAThe burgundy leather is incredible on this Poltrona Frau circa 1990 Post-Modern sofa by Pierluigi Cerri. Featuring soft and supple Italian leather cushions over a ribbed leather wrap...Category
1990s Italian Post-Modern LoveseatsMaterials
Steel, Chrome$4,900 Sale Price26% Off
- Tan Leather Cloud Style Sofa with Lucite Leg by Weiman, c 1980s, SignedBy WeimanLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis beautiful curvy and fluid Post-Modern sofa by Weiman is in soft and luxurious tan colored leather, features a single lucite leg and is signed underneath with a Weiman label. ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern SofasMaterials
Leather, Lucite$5,000 Sale Price21% Off
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary Portuguese Modern Sofas
Velvet, Wood, Silk, Trimming
Mid-20th Century Danish Sofas
2010s American Modern Sofas
Velvet, Polyester, Poplar, Walnut
Vintage 1960s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1970s Swiss Mid-Century Modern Sofas
2010s Egyptian Modern Sofas
Upholstery, Velvet, Cane, Oak
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century English Sofas
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern Sofas
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery