Very Rare Italian Modern Library Bookcase by Willy Rizzo for Cidue, Italy, 1970
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 82.68 in (210 cm)Width: 53.15 in (135 cm)Depth: 12.6 in (32 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970's
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very good vintage conditions, small traces of cosmetic wear consistent with age and use, solid structure, no significant defects, fully functional as intended. The piece is more than 40 years old and, overall, remains in a very good condition.
- Seller Location:Zagreb, HR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5333235838282
Renowned Italian furniture designer Willy Rizzo is celebrated for having produced eye-catching, sensational showpieces that merged plush fabrics with wood, metal and glass. Influenced by European modernists and drawing on the spare forms and clean lines of the American mid-century modern style, Rizzo prized functionality and simplicity in his dazzling work.
Born in Naples, Rizzo never intended on designing furniture. Instead, he began pursuing photography at the age of 12. By the 1960s, he had become a notable photographer, having captured images of such celebrities as Marilyn Monroe, Fred Astaire and Spanish artist Salvador Dalí. His experience with furniture design came about inadvertently when he moved to Rome in 1966. There, Rizzo rented an apartment with his wife Elsa that he described as "practically uninhabitable." Dissatisfied with the Scandinavian furniture options on offer, Rizzo built sofas, coffee tables and other furniture to suit the space's strong modern vibe. When his friends saw what he had accomplished, they were enamored by his furniture creations and commissioned him to build similar items for them.
The demand for Rizzo’s furniture grew from there. He established a production facility and workshop in Tivoli, just outside of Rome, which grew to house over 150 employees. There, finding inspiration in the work of iconic architects including Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier, he created more than 30 unique furniture designs. Over the years he opened boutiques around the world to showcase and sell his furniture.
Rizzo prided himself on seamlessly blending the contemporary with the classic. “It was about creating something new for a traditional setting,” he said of his work. From his sleek sideboards to his low-profile side tables, elegant chairs and entire living room sets, Rizzo's style sensibility is evident throughout every detail of his designs.
Rizzo sold his company in 1978 and returned to photography. However, the presence of his furniture resonated into the new century and is sure to impact interior décor enthusiasts into the next. Over the years, high-profile collectors of Rizzo’s work have included French actress Brigitte Bardot, Salvador Dalí and American musician Lenny Kravitz.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Zagreb, Croatia
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Very Rare Italian Modern Library Bookcase by Willy Rizzo for Cidue, Italy, 1970By Willy Rizzo, CidueLocated in Zagreb, HRThis bookcase library was designed by Willy Rizzo and manufactured by Italian high-end furniture manufacturer Cidue in the 1970's. It has a manufacturer's stamp It was very shortl...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Pair of Italian Modern Library Bookcase by Willy Rizzo for Cidue, Italy, 1970By Willy Rizzo, CidueLocated in Zagreb, HRThis large bookcase library was designed by Willy Rizzo and manufactured by Italian high-end furniture manufacturer Cidue in the 1970's. It has a manufacturer's stamp It was very ...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Bookcase Cabinet Donau, Ettore Sottsass & Marco Zanini for Franz Leitner, 1980sBy Marco Zanini, Ettore SottsassLocated in Zagreb, HRA rare Memphis design bookcase cabinet from the "Donau" series designed in 1986 by Ettore Sottsass and Marco Zanini for the Austrian furniture maker...Category
Vintage 1980s Austrian Post-Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Rare Vintage Wooden Chair with Cane seat by Branko Ursic for Stol Kamnik, 1970sBy Stol KamnikLocated in Zagreb, HRRare wooden chair designed by notable Slovenian designer Branko Ursic and manufactured by Stol Kamnik Age: 1970's - 1980's The frame of the chair is made of lacquered beech (very d...Category
Mid-20th Century Slovenian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Space Age Chandelier Elbow by M. Bellini for Targetti Sankey, Italy, 1970s 1980sBy Mario Bellini, Targetti SankeyLocated in Zagreb, HRVintage chandelier with 4 lights, model 'Elbow' designed by Mario Bellini for Italian company Targetti Sankey Produced in the 1970s and 1980s Model 'Elbow' was produced in few versions, like a desk lamp, clamp lamp, floor lamp and so on. The Chandelier version is very rare. This design received an iF Design Award in 1975. It can easily be converted into a table lamp The lamp has a producers stamp 3 LAMPS AVAILABLE, PRICE IS FOR ONE Materials: Chromed metal (iron) square base. Metal gooseneck with a black plastic hose. Chrome tubes. Bakelite socket. Electricity: 4 lamp sockets E27 for 4 x 75 watts bulb maximum, 110/220 volt. Any type of light bulb can be used, but preferably a side mirror globe...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Space Age Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Midcentury Magazine Rack, Rare Model by Niko Kralj for Stol Kamnik, 1960sBy Niko Kralj, Stol KamnikLocated in Zagreb, HRMidcentury folding magazine stand made of beech and plywood. A rare model designed by notable Slovenian designer Niko Kralj and manufactured by Stol Kamnik in the 1960s In great o...Category
Mid-20th Century Slovenian Mid-Century Modern Magazine Racks and StandsMaterials
- Rare Willy Rizzo Library for Cidue, Italy, 1970sBy Willy Rizzo, CidueLocated in L'Escala, ESBeautiful and rare Willy Rizzo library or storage cabinet manufactured in Italy in 1970s by Cidue. Modulable, with two doors. In very good vintage condition.Category
Mid-20th Century Italian ShelvesMaterials
- Willy Rizzo Burlwood Bookcase, France, 1970By Willy RizzoLocated in Chicago, ILWilly Rizzo burlwood bookcases, wall unit, France, 1970. Upper case has interior adjustable glass shelves. Nice patina to brass hardware.Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Polished Stainless Steel Library/ Room Divider by Willy Rizzo, SignedBy Willy RizzoLocated in Berlin, BerlinLibrary/ Room Divider, designed by Willy Rizzo. France, Willy Rizzo, 2012. A large contemporary bookcase/ room divider made of polished stainless steel construction with smoked glas...Category
2010s French Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Sideboard by Willy Rizzo for Mario Sabot, 1970sBy Willy Rizzo, CidueLocated in HEVERLEE, BEBrown lacquer sideboard with chrome handles and edges designed by Willy Rizzo for Cidue. The sideboard has an illuminated bar compartment with a fold down door. Good condition 197...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- 1970s Willy Rizzo Steel Glass and Mirror Shelves Cdue Production BookcaseLocated in IT1970s Willy Rizzo steel glass and mirror shelves Cdue Production bookcase Glass and mirrors are original from 1970s period. They shows some wears coherent with age but no structural...Category
Vintage 1970s BookcasesMaterials
- Very rare MOP bookcase / room divider by Afra e Tobia Scarpa for Molteni ItalyBy Afra & Tobia ScarpaLocated in Buggenhout, Oost-VlaanderenStunning modular MOP bookcase/room divider. Designed by Afra e Tobia Scarpa for Molteni, Italy. Mop is the second life of an exquisite material: wood. Scraps from veneer making are ...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials