1930s French Art Decò Sideboard Buffet Dry Bar by Jules Leleu, in Walnut Briar
About the Item
- Creator:Jules Leleu (Designer, Cabinetmaker)
- Dimensions:Height: 37.41 in (95 cm)Width: 53.94 in (137 cm)Depth: 13.78 in (35 cm)
- Style:Art Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1930s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Vigonza, IT
- Reference Number:Seller: FW2221stDibs: LU2495332016142
A designer and ensemblier, Jules Leleu was one of the key authors of the Art Deco movement. While he did not win the fame of such contemporaries as Émile-Jacques Ruhlmann and Jean-Michel Frank, Leleu had a longer career and was easily their peer in the conception of trim, refined furniture forms and in the use of the opulent materials — from lacquer and ivory to sharkskin and exotic woods — that were a keynote of haute Art Deco design.
Leleu was born into a family of artisans and decorators. Their firm, Maison Leleu, had existed since the 18th century and Jules would guide it through much of the 20th. (The business lasted until 1973, headed at the end by Jules's children.) He studied architecture, served as an aviator in World War I, and after the conflict took up design full-time. Leleu presented work at the 1925 exposition in Paris that gave us the term Art Deco, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York purchased a burl amboyna wood commode by Leleu directly from the show.
As the desks, dining tables and other furniture on 1stDibs show, Leleu was a stickler for precision craft and preferred to let his materials do the talking — his furniture is generally spare and sleek; its presence is established by figuring (or patterning/graining) in the wood and the occasional marquetry medallion. He had a keen eye for currents in design, and an adaptable sensibility. Maison Leleu would embrace many of the starker forms of modernism after the 1940s, as well as new materials such as artificial lacquer and plastics (then considered cutting-edge rather than cheap). Jules Leleu is a guiding light of 20th-century modernism: a man whose work represents both a devotion to traditional handiwork and an appreciation for the next wave in design.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Vigonza, Italy
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Art Deco Dry Bar Cabinet by Meroni & Fossati Gio Ponti attributed, Briar of ElmBy Gio PontiLocated in Vigonza, PaduaSmall cabinet buffet, dry bar, Art Deco period 1940 , Gio Ponti attributed per Meroni & Fossati, veneered in briar of elm with interior in mahogany . Original handless of the period....Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern BuffetsMaterials
- 1930s Art Deco Pozzetto Pair Armchairs, Jules Leleu style , Walnut, Leather seatBy Jules LeleuLocated in Vigonza, Padua1930s Italian club lounge chairs, armchairs, Art Deco, restored, new red leather bordeaux upholstery, walnut wax polished Jules Leleu style. These classic red armchairs feature a ...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Art Deco Club ChairsMaterials
- Art Deco Bar Cabinet in Burl Walnut, Guglielmo Urlich Attributed, circa 1930By Meroni & FossatiLocated in Vigonza, PaduaArt Deco bar cabinet in burl walnut, Guglielmo Urlich attributed for Meroni & Fossati , Lissone-Milano . All original cabinet restored, with functioning internal lighting. The internal mirror, has parts of small mirrors oxidized, that we thought not to replace to have a 100% original cabinet. Original Murano glass handles, circa 1930. The internal compartment has a removable shelf, usable as a tray. Measures cm: H76 W82 D44 (internal H38cm). Guglielmo Ulrich (born 1904, Milan–died 1977...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Art Deco Dry BarsMaterials
Mirror, Burl, Walnut
- 1930s Art Deco Dry Bar Cabinet, Mahogany, Burl Elm, Mirror Internal, Glass TopBy Paolo BuffaLocated in Vigonza, PaduaItalian very elegant Art Deco dry bar cabinet by La Permanente Mobili Cantù , attributed to Paolo Buffa in mahogany, burl elm applied on doors, mirror internal, lacquered glass on th...Category
Vintage 1930s Italian Art Deco CabinetsMaterials
- Midcentury Cabinet Art Deco from Lissone, Made in Milan, Gio Ponti StyleBy Gio PontiLocated in Vigonza, Padua1940s cabinet from Lissone - Milano, Gio Ponti manner with walnut veneer, solid maple, door of the closed in veneered bird's-eye maple. Closed compartment with sliding glass embellis...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Art Deco CabinetsMaterials
- 1930s Art Deco Entry Cabinet Console Table with Mirror in WalnutLocated in Vigonza, Padua1930s Art Deco entry cabinet console table with mirror in walnut. Measures cm: H 130, W 110, D 34.Category
Vintage 1930s Italian Art Deco Console TablesMaterials
- Fine French Art Deco Bar by Jules LeleuBy Jules LeleuLocated in Long Island City, NYJules Leleu (1883 - 1961) : A fine French Art Deco bar cabinet with palisander and metal marquetry, and brass mounted details. Interiors in sycamore, mirror and chrome. Inlaid plaque...Category
20th Century French Art Deco Dry BarsMaterials
- French Art Deco Dry Bar in the Style of Jules LeleuBy Jules LeleuLocated in North Bergen, NJStunning French Art Deco dry bar. Having beautiful mother-of-pearl inlay with gorgeous marquetry. The top center door drops down to reveal a mirrored dry bar. While the top opens all...Category
Early 20th Century Art Deco Dry BarsMaterials
- Art Deco Walnut Bar Cabinet, 1930sLocated in Prague 8, CZMade in the 1930s in the former Czechoslovakia, material: walnut, glass, metal. Inside, a metal container for placing bottles and glasses. Carved legs of the dresser in the shape of ...Category
Mid-20th Century Czech Art Deco Dry BarsMaterials
- 1930s French Art Deco 3 Part Cabinet Secretery/ Vitrine/ Dry Bar Attrib. J.LeleuBy Jules LeleuLocated in Opa Locka, FLOn Offer is a Grand Scale Macassar Ebony 3- Part Cabinet attributed Jules Leleu. All original, left cabinet door opens to reveal a finished Secretary. In the center of the cabinet is a shelved and mirrored Vitrine -display case with glass doors...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco Dry BarsMaterials
- Antique French Art Deco Burl Wood Counter Top Bar Cabinet, circa 1930sBy Jules LeleuLocated in South Bend, INAn outstanding French Art Deco table top display cabinet or bar cabinet In the manner of Jules Leleu France, circa 1930s Carved oak,...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco CabinetsMaterials
- 1930s Art Deco Jules Leleu Buffet Sideboard, 1930-1940By Jules LeleuLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis is a beautiful Art Deco sideboard or credenza made from solid oak and Macassar ebony veneer. The buffet's drawers, inside doors and shelves is made of Sycamore wood. It features...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco SideboardsMaterials