Phenomenal Figural Burl Wood Bar Cart by Romweber
View Similar Items
Phenomenal Figural Burl Wood Bar Cart by Romweber
- Creator:Romweber Furniture Co. (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 40.5 in (102.87 cm)Width: 44.38 in (112.73 cm)Depth: 24.25 in (61.6 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Early 1950s
- Seller Location:Phoenix, AZ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU85323801522
About the Manufacturer
Romweber Furniture Co.
Some vintage Romweber Furniture Company designs may strike the young as passé. But for fans of a certain age, the American brand never went out of style.
The Romweber story began in the late 1800s, with the launch of American Furniture Company, which made bedroom furniture, Batesville Cabinet Company, a dining-room-set manufacturer, and Batesville Coffin Company. The three companies eventually merged to become a large and reputable manufacturer of case goods, furniture and more. Not unlike many American companies, production at Romweber suffered during the Great Depression. The brand managed to stay afloat by making a rather strange pivot — to selling five-pound fruitcake boxes. During the Second World War, Romweber pivoted again, this time to the production of ammunition boxes and pontoons for American troops and, naturally, furniture for officers’ quarters.
While Romweber furniture (spelled “RomWeber” in vintage advertisements), dating back to the early 20th century, had designers working in the French Rococo and Chippendale styles, the brand is best known for its mid-century modern pieces. In the postwar years, Romweber manufactured walnut case pieces and storage cabinets that featured decorative olive-ash and burl-wood inlays with brass hardware as well as solid oak credenzas and dining tables designed by the likes of Harold Schwartz. For collectors of sophisticated 1950s furniture, the company’s sturdy Viking Oak line is particularly popular.
“It’s not uncommon for customers to say, ‘My parents had this Romweber Viking set,’” says Adam Cramer of collectors who visit Liberty & 33rd, the gallery he owns with his wife in South Bend, Indiana, about three hours north of Romweber’s birthplace in small-town Batesville. “It’s solid oak,” Cramer tells 1stDibs of the line of tables, chairs, desks and more.
Solid oak is the product of slow-growing deciduous trees. Solid oak furniture is durable, desirable and an investment that is usually associated with a hefty price. In solid oak furnishings, such as those that make up the covetable Romweber Viking Oak line, which launched in 1935, there aren’t any scraps of other components in the construction. Inspired by Scandinavian folk design, Romweber’s Viking Oak is said to have enjoyed one of the longest runs for a commercial furniture line in history. The collection went out of production in the late 1980s, and mid-century editions remain highly prized for their exceptional quality and hand-carved details.
Find vintage Romweber furniture on 1stDibs.
- Mastercraft 1970s Burl Wood Dining Chairs, set of 4By MastercraftLocated in Phoenix, AZ4 Burl wood dining chairs by Mastercraft, circa mid 1970s. These all-original examples have stunning grain and cut velvet upholstery. Chairs are priced at $4,000 for set of 4.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Phenomenal Saporiti Stainless Steel & Mercedes Leather SofaBy SaporitiLocated in Phoenix, AZAll original Saporiti stainless steel and special ordered perforated Mercedes leather 'Wave' sofa by Giovanno Offreddi. This is the nicest example of this sofa that we have ever seen...Category
Late 20th Century Italian SofasMaterials
- Monumental Iron Figure in Railroad Ties by Bruce GrayBy Bruce GrayLocated in Phoenix, AZTopping out at nearly 8' tall this monumental work by California sculptor Bruce Gray is truly incredible in person! It is executed in patinated iron railroad nails and looks great fr...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Sculptures and CarvingsMaterials
- Edward Wormley 1960's Dunbar Burl Column PedestalBy Edward WormleyLocated in Phoenix, AZEdward Wormley for Dunbar burl and glass pedestal or sculpture stand circa mid 1960's, All original finish with exquisite graining. The pedestal can be plu...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Coat Racks and StandsMaterials
- Brutalist Abstract Sculpture in Wood & Steel by Rick LussierLocated in Phoenix, AZWood, patinated steel and iron sculpture by Rick Lussier, circa early 1980s. This unusual example mixes different elements seamlessly and is striking from every angle.Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- Art Deco Dry Bar Cart in Burl Walnut WoodLocated in Miami, FLStreamline Art Deco fitted bar and serving cart. Rare and unusual cart on wheels, designed to be used as a service tableCategory
Mid-20th Century Italian Art Deco Dry BarsMaterials
- Romweber Viking Oak Lift Top Bar Cabinet, Circa 1960sBy Romweber Furniture Co.Located in South Bend, INAn exceptional rustic lift top bar cabinet By Romweber, "Viking Oak" Collection USA, Circa 1960s Carved solid oak, with original brass hardware. ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Rustic CabinetsMaterials
- Carved Wood Elephant Bar Cart by Marge CarsonBy Marge CarsonLocated in Palm Springs, CAA spectacular 1990s carved wood elephant bar cart on casters by Marge Carson. The elephant is lacquered off white and gold leaf. The glass is smoked. The ...Category
1990s American Modern Carts and Bar CartsMaterials
- Sabino Burl Wood Bar and Stool SetLocated in Los Angeles, CAA one of a kind bar and stool set comprising of slabs of Sabino (Montezuma Cypress) burl wood, all resting on three square wrought iron legs with bro...Category
Vintage 1960s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Dry BarsMaterials
Bronze, Wrought Iron$12,500 / set
- Bar Cart Bossa, Metal, Glass, WoodLocated in Miami, FLBar or tea trolley, or sideboard, in full size. With structure and design in carbon steel painted in black, with functional support drawer in catuaba wood and glass top, with 4 wheel...Category
2010s Brazilian Dry BarsMaterials
- 1940s Macassar Ebony and Burl Wood Bar Cabinet by Osvaldo BorsaniBy Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Los Angeles, CA1940s Italian bar / cabinet attributed to Osvaldo Borsani, made of rare Macassar ebony, copper and bronze ornaments on the doors, burl wood inlay ins...Category
Vintage 1940s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dry BarsMaterials