Dieter Rams 606 Universal Shelving System in Walnut Veneer for Vitsoe
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Dieter Rams 606 Universal Shelving System in Walnut Veneer for Vitsoe
- DimensionsHeight: 52.76 in (134 cm)Width: 107.68 in (273.5 cm)Depth: 14.18 in (36 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationRHEEZERVEEN, NL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU190637145243
About the Designer
German industrial designer Dieter Rams is revered for the pared-down, intuitive electronics and consumer goods he created for Braun — where he worked from 1955 to 1997, most of that time as chief design officer — and his timeless furniture for Vitsœ, a company with which he continues to collaborate today.
Less well known are Rams’s longstanding focus on sustainability and uneasy relationship with contemporary technology, even as Silicon Valley designers like Apple’s Jonathan Ive follow in his rational footsteps.
During Germany’s postwar rebuilding period, Rams and his team of designers at Braun, inspired by the Bauhaus and the Ulm School of Design, focused on extreme simplicity and usability while conceiving products with a modern, forward-looking appearance.
Among Rams’s most iconic designs is the SK 4 phonograph and radio, created in 1956, which had a compact white metal case topped by a revolutionary-at-the-time transparent Plexiglas lid that revealed simple gray controls inside (it was nicknamed Snow White’s Coffin). But it is the T3 portable radio, from 1958, that gets design aficionados most excited today: A white rectangular box with a perforated square for the speaker and a circular-dial control, it bears an unmistakable resemblance to Apple’s original iPod. (Many people also note that the iPhone’s calculator app looks remarkably similar to the Braun ET 66 calculator, with its circular color-coded buttons.)
In the late 1970s, Rams laid out his widely studied 10 principles for good design: It is innovative, makes a product useful, is aesthetic, makes a product understandable, is unobtrusive, is honest, is long lasting, is thorough down to the last detail, is environmentally friendly and is as little design as possible.
One of Rams’s principles that hasn’t translated to our contemporary era is his emphasis on longevity. “The time of thoughtless design and thoughtless consumption is over,” he said in 1976, stressing the need to conserve natural resources — even as he was busy designing plastic products.
Rams has also expressed reservations about how electronics have evolved in recent decades from tools for improving life to time-sucking obsessions. “Every time he crosses a street and sees people glued to their phones, he just can’t conceive of how we got to this point,” says filmmaker Gary Hustwit, whose feature-length documentary on Rams debuted in 2018. “I think he’s a little bit saddened by all this work they did in the fifties and sixties, which had a very idealistic point of view, being a stepping stone to where we are now, and the current lust for technology.”
If digital devices sometimes seem to be making life more complicated, Rams’s precept remains the same as always: “Back to purity, back to simplicity.”
Find vintage Dieter Rams furniture on 1stDibs.
- String Wall System with Cabinet by Nisse Strinning for String Design, SwedenBy Nils Nisse StrinningLocated in RHEEZERVEEN, OverijsselIconic and transparent shelving system by Nisse Strinning, produced in the 1960s. The cabinet is meant to store records. The interior of the cabinet can be removed very easily to giv...Category
Vintage 1940s Swedish Scandinavian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Delft Wall Shelves Constant Nieuwenhuys for 't Spectrum, NetherlandsBy Constant Nieuwenhuys, 't Spectrum BergeijkLocated in RHEEZERVEEN, OverijsselRed metal wire wall shelves by Dutch designer and Cobra co-founder Constant Nieuwenhuys for Dutch him 't Spectrum. Nieuwenhuys was a talented artist and is well known for his work as...Category
Vintage 1950s Dutch Mid-Century Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Wim Rietveld 663 Modular Wall System for Gispen, NetherlandsBy Gispen, Wim RietveldLocated in RHEEZERVEEN, OverijsselIndustrial modular wall system by Wim Rietveld for Gispen originally designed in 1954. These units are a re-edition dated 1990s. Two units, one with four closed cabinets (blue, red a...Category
1990s Dutch Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Willy van der Meeren F1 Easy Chair in red for Tubax, BelgiumBy Tubax, Willy Van Der MeerenLocated in RHEEZERVEEN, OverijsselVery comfortable easy chair by Belgium designer Willy van der Meeren for Tubax. Black lacquered steel frame with new red artificial leather seat. There is only ons chair available.Category
Vintage 1950s Belgian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Easy Chairs Model 8000 in Oak by Tjerk Reijenga for Pilastro, NetherlandsBy Pilastro, Tjerk ReijengaLocated in RHEEZERVEEN, OverijsselMidcentury lounge chairs model 8000 by Tjerk Reijenga for Pilastro. Seat and backrest are made of oak veneered plywood; the frame is made of lacquered metal. Both chairs have a nice ...Category
Vintage 1960s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Midcentury Dining Set in Birch by Alvar Aalto for Artek, FinlandBy Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in RHEEZERVEEN, OverijsselIconic dining set from Finnish designer and architect Alvar Aalto. De set consists of a table (model 82A) and six chairs (model 69) with vinyl upholstery. All original from first own...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
Faux Leather, Birch
- Very Rare Vitsoe 606 Shelving System Flotating Sideboard by Dieter RamsBy Vitsoe, Dieter RamsLocated in Münster, DEThe Modular Shelving System 606 is an absolute design classic, designed by Dieter Rams in 1960 for VITSOE. Extremely rare variant with teak wood shelves and off-white fronts. The si...Category
Antique 1660s German Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- German 606 Modular Shelving System by Dieter Rams for Vitsoe, 1960sBy Dieter RamsLocated in London, LambethSuperb wall unit with 8 shelving and two storage cabinets.produced by Vitsœ design by legendary Dieter rams modular. For over fifty years, Dieter Rams has left an indel...Category
Mid-20th Century German Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Metal Wardrobe Wall Panel Elements RZ 61 by Dieter Rams for Vitsoe, 1960sBy Vitsoe, Dieter RamsLocated in Kirchlengern, DEArticle: wardrobe elements RZ 61 (program 610) no. 1 Design: Dieter Rams Producer: VITSOE, Germany Origin: Germany AGE: 1960s Descriptio...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Wardrobes and ArmoiresMaterials
- Studio BBPR for Olivetti 'Spazio' Shelving System in MetalBy Studio BBPRLocated in Waalwijk, NLStudio BBPR for Olivetti, 'Spazio' shelving system, metal, plastic, Italy, 1960 The 'Spazio' series was designed by Studio BBPR for Olivetti in 1960. The design won the Compasso d...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Natural Walnut "Climb" Shelving System, Bashko TrybekLocated in Geneve, CHNatural Walnut "Climb" shelving system, Bashko Trybek Dimensions: 135 L x 27 W x 185 H cm Materials: Walnut Boards, Black Wires Different finishes, colors and sizes are available Cl...Category
2010s Polish Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Machine Shelving SystemBy AKMDLocated in Chicago, ILThe Machine leg shelving System is a versatile design that pairs fully customizable solid wood shelves with sturdy cast aluminum vertical supports. The shelves are made to order at o...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American ShelvesMaterials