American Mid-Century Modern Rosewood Dresser / Sideboard by Harvey Probber 1960s
About the Item
- Creator:Harvey Probber (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 31.5 in (80.01 cm)Width: 76 in (193.04 cm)Depth: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1960
- Condition:Newly refinished.
- Seller Location:Stamford, CT
- Reference Number:Seller: 463-261stDibs: LU863233439712
A popular designer who had his heyday from the late 1940s into the 1970s, Harvey Probber is one of the post-war American creative spirits whose work has been recently rediscovered by collectors. His designs are by-and-large simple and elegant, but his signal achievement was to pioneer one of the key innovations of mid-20th century furniture: sectional, or modular, seating.
Even as a teenager, the Brooklyn-born Probber was making sketches of furniture designs — and selling them to Manhattan furniture companies. He began working as a designer for an upholsterer once he finished high school and, apart from a few evening classes he took as an adult at the Pratt Institute, he was self-taught about design and furniture making.
After wartime service — and a stint as a lounge singer — Probber founded his own company in the late 1940s. A lifelong familiarity with the needs of New York–apartment dwellers doubtless sparked his most noteworthy creation: a line of seating pieces in basic geometric shapes — wedges, squares, half-circles — that could be arranged and combined as needed. Modular furniture remained the core idea of Probber’s business throughout his career.
As a self-trained designer, Probber was never wed to any particular aesthetic. He preferred simple lines for their inherent practicality, but often used hardware to enliven the look of his pieces, or added elements — such as a ceramic insert in the center of a round dining table — that was visually interesting and could serve as a trivet. He gravitated toward bright fabrics with attractive, touchable textures that might be satin-like or nubbly. Above all, Probber insisted that the products that came out of his Fall River, Massachusetts, factory be built to last.
“The quality of aging gracefully,” Probber once told an interviewer, is “design's fourth dimension.” This quality he realized: Probber furniture is just as useful and alluring now as it was when made — and maybe even more stylish.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Stamford, CT
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Mid-Century Modern Dresser / Sideboard, Brass, American DesignerLocated in Stamford, CTMid-Century Modern Dresser / Sideboard, Brass, American Designer Walnut Mid Cent Dresser or Chest having four drawers above four doors leading to la...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Modern White Decorative Mirrored Cabinet / Credenza / Dresser, American DesignLocated in Stamford, CTModern white Decorative mirrored cabinet / Credenza / dresser, American design A Newly manufactured cabinet or credenza in a satin white paint...Category
2010s American Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Dresser, Chest or Sideboard, WalnutLocated in Stamford, CTMid-Century Modern dresser, chest or sideboard, walnut A Mid-Century Modern dresser having three center drawers flanked by two doors concealing hidden drawers. Each door having C...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern 3 Section Server, Sideboard or DresserLocated in Stamford, CTMid-Centuiry Modern 3 section server, sideboard or dresser with inlaid rattan doors and wood drawers The case having four center drawers flanked by four door having shelved inter...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Waterfall Sideboard / Dresser by Vladimir Kagan, BurlwoodBy Vladimir KaganLocated in Stamford, CTMid-Century Modern Waterfall Sideboard / Dresser by Vladimir Kagan, Burlwood Burlwood, Chrome, Lacquer United States, 1970s Vladimir Kagan burl wood and lacquered sideboard or console with 2 file cabinet drawers having interior locks. The two center shelved doors flanked by a pair of file cabinets...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Milo Baughman Sideboard / Dresser, Burlwood, ChromeBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Stamford, CTMid-Century Modern Milo Baughman Sideboard / Dresser, Burlwood, Chrome Gorgeous mid-century dresser or sideboard designed and produced in the United States, circa 1980s. This piece is made of burlwood with chrome accents and details. Very decorative square patchwork wood...Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Large Harvey Probber Sideboard in RosewoodBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Dallas, TXA spectacular large sideboard by Harvey Probber. This sideboard offers plenty of storage. The design is dramatic with a rosewood finish and book matched drawers. This is hard to find...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Harvey Probber Signed Sideboard in Mahogany with Gold Trim, 1960sBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Dallas, TXFully restored. Harvey Probber sideboard with two front sliding doors in a gold leaf finish. Interior has four sets of drawers on each side. Right side of sideboard has four sets of ...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern 5 Drawer Dresser 2 Door with Leather Brass Harvey ProbberBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Port Jervis, NYSimple and elegant long mahogany dresser by Harvey Probber. Five graduated drawers with solid brass pulls on the right side. Two leather doors with solid brass strips which conceal four pull out drawers and three pull out shelves...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Vintage Mid-Century Modern Scandinavian Organic Birch Wood Sideboard, 1960sLocated in Warszawa, MazowieckieThis modernist sideboard was made in Norway during the 1960s. The sideboard has been finished in two kinds of woods: not very popular birch and maple. Both types of wood have a unique and noble appearance, as well as a natural smell and durability. The graining and structure create a sophisticate effect. This piece has a pair of sliding doors, finished in a natural, light color and a very intriguing, ring grain. An important element that adds elegance to the sideboard - are metal, geometric handles filled with resin. The furniture has a modernist base...Category
Vintage 1960s Scandinavian Scandinavian Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Teak Sideboard, Denmark, 1960Located in Madrid, ESDanish sideboard made of teak wood. It is made up of a 4-drawer module, a two-door module with storage space with a height-adjustable shelf and a removable upper tray.Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Harvey Probber Tall DresserBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Brooklyn, NYMahogany chest with two folding doors concealing eight drawers with brass pulls and ten glass shelves. Felt lined top drawer marked with metal tag. Please confirm item location (NY o...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery