- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Maitland Smith Banded & Inlaid Sideboard with Tooled Leather Top 20th C
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Maker)
- DimensionsHeight: 33 in. (83.82 cm)Width: 56 in. (142.24 cm)Depth: 25 in. (63.5 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Date of Manufacture20th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Overall very good condition, tight and sturdy with scuffs and dings as photographed.
- Seller LocationBig Flats, NY
- Reference NumberSeller: 73438 1stDibs: LU2396328285572
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Big Flats, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Maker
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Maitland Smith Mahogany Revolving Book Stand & Tooled Leather Faux Books, 20th CBy Maitland SmithLocated in Big Flats, NYA revolving bookcase by Maitland Smith offers mahogany construction in tiered form and having faux books with tooled and gilt leather facing, 20th century Measures - 47.5'' H x 27.5...Category
20th Century ShelvesMaterials
Leather, Mahogany$2,200 Sale Price20% Off
- Maitland Smith Mahogany & Leather Barrel Back Corner Chair, 20th CBy Maitland SmithLocated in Big Flats, NYA corner arm chair by Maitland Smith offers mahogany frame with scrolled rail over urn form slat back, scroll form arms, leather upholstered shaped seat, raised on balustrade legs, m...Category
20th Century Corner ChairsMaterials
Mahogany, Leather$760 Sale Price20% Off
- Maitland Smith Oversized Walnut & Leather Armchair, Alligator Pattern, 20th CBy Maitland SmithLocated in Big Flats, NYA large armchair by Maitland Smith offers leather upholstery in alligator skin patter with shaped back over walnut frame raised on carved cabriole legs, maker label as photographed, ...Category
20th Century ArmchairsMaterials
Leather, Walnut$1,440 Sale Price20% Off
- Maitland Smith Figural Elephant Bronze & Leather Coffee Table, 20th CBy Maitland SmithLocated in Big Flats, NYA figural low table by Maitland Smith offers leather top over cast bronze frame having stretchers with elephants, maker label as photographed, 20th century Measures - 17.5'' H x 37....Category
20th Century Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Bronze$1,800 Sale Price20% Off
- Maitland Smith French Style Mahogany Side Chair, 20th CBy Maitland SmithLocated in Big Flats, NYA French style side or vanity chair by Maitland Smith offers mahogany frame with stylized balloon back over upholstered seat, raised on splayed legs, maker label as photographed, 20t...Category
20th Century Side ChairsMaterials
- Maitland Smith Classical Romanesque Burl & Flame Mahogany Executive Desk 20th CBy Maitland SmithLocated in Big Flats, NYAn executive desk by Maitland Smith offers mahogany construction in Classical Romanesque form with architectural splash having satinwood inlay detailing throughout over gilt decorate...Category
20th Century DesksMaterials
You May Also Like
1990s American Chippendale Sideboards
Late 20th Century Philippine Neoclassical Commodes and Chests of Drawers
Late 20th Century Chinoiserie Sideboards
Mid-20th Century French Sideboards
1990s American Regency Console Tables
Late 20th Century French Sideboards
Late 20th Century Italian Sideboards
Mid-20th Century Italian Sideboards
Early 20th Century English George III Sideboards
1990s Philippine Sheraton Sideboards
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery