- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Danish Rosewood Modular Wall Unit by Poul Cadovius for Cado, 1960s
- DimensionsHeight: 16.74 in (42.5 cm)Width: 127.37 in (323.5 cm)Depth: 15.75 in (40 cm)
- StyleScandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960-1969
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. In very fine vintage condition with natural patina. Few nicks and scratches. All surfaces has been cleaned and polished, ready for use. Stunning Rosewood pattern.
- Seller LocationAsaa, DK
- Reference NumberSeller: 8071stDibs: LU4897228182802
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Asaa, Denmark
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Born just outside of Copenhagen in 1911, Cadovius began manufacturing window treatments in the 1940s with his partner, Hother Brønner. He soon turned his focus from venetian blinds to furniture, finding success designing svelte pieces in teak, a richly colored hardwood favored by the Danish mid-century modernists.
In 1945, Cadovius founded the furniture manufacturer Royal System with his designs, including the 1948 Royal System shelving unit, a space-saving solution that underscored Cadovius’s penchant for problem-solving in a multifunctional way. Rather than balance shelves on wooden or metal legs, it held them to the wall with brackets. He followed it with the System Ultra in 1957, the System Cado in 1960 and the System Abstracta, which was installed throughout the exhibition halls of the 1962 Cologne Furniture Fair. All expanded on his idea of wall-mounted shelving that saved space while offering functionality, allowing for limitless combinations of storage, shelves, work surfaces and other units. The Royal System proved to be especially popular and is still produced by Danish furniture brand dk3 today, with early models continuing to be in demand.
Along with the shelving systems, Cadovius designed everything from lounge chairs to mushroom-shaped bus shelters, and he held over 400 patents. In addition to being a designer, he was also an entrepreneur with an eye for opportunity, such as purchasing Danish manufacturer France & Søn in the mid-1960s and folded it into CADO, a company he founded years earlier. He used this as an occasion to experiment with his designs, conceiving such unusual pieces as an aluminum-based dining table topped with rosewood and hand-painted by artist Susan Fjedldoe Mygge.
Cadovius’s innovations in shelving continued throughout his career, with examples like the sculptural Butterfly shelf and vertical pieces mixing shelving and storage. In 2018, to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Royal System, dk3 reissued the celebrated shelving system as well as a more compact version reimagined for 21st-century homes.
- Vintage Danish Coffee Table by Poul Cadovius for Cado 1970sBy Cado, Poul CadoviusLocated in Asaa, DKVintage Danish coffee table by Poul Cadovius for Cado 1970s Beautiful and spectacular round coffee table with aluminum tulip base designed by Poul Cadovius with graphics by Susanne ...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Vintage Danish Teak Modular Wall Unit 1960sLocated in Asaa, DKVintage Danish teak modular wall unit 1960s Danish Mid-century modern shelving system in teak with golden brackets. Cabinet and shelves can be placed as desired. This set can be use...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Vintage Danish Teak Bookcase, 1960sLocated in Asaa, DKVintage Danish teak bookcase, 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern bookcase on black hairpin legs. Bevelled edges on frame. Two height adjustable shelves. Light and elegant appearance. ...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Vintage Danish Teak Sideboard by Johannes Andersen, 1960sBy Johannes Andersen, Uldum MøbelfabrikLocated in Asaa, DKVintage Danish teak sideboard by Johannes Andersen, 1960s Danish modern highboard attributed to Danish architect Johannes Andersen and manufactured by Uldum Møbelfabrik, Denmark. B...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Danish Mid-Century Modern Rosewood Sideboard, 1960sBy Arne Vodder, SibastLocated in Asaa, DKDanish Mid-Century Modern Low Rosewood sideboard, 1960s Beautiful Danish Modern low sideboard in minimalistic style attributed to Danish designer Arne Vodder for Sibast. Front with...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Pair of Vintage Danish Bedside Tables by Ølhom, 1960sBy Sigfred Omann, Ølholm MøbelfabrikLocated in Asaa, DKPair of vintage Danish bedside tables by Ølhom, 1960s Set of two beautiful wall mounted / floating bed side tables with two drawers designed by Danish designer Sigfred Omann and man...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Poul Cadovius for CADO Rosewood Wall Unit, Denmark, 1960sBy Poul Cadovius, CadoLocated in Amsterdam, NLBeautiful rosewood veneer wall unit by Poul Cadovius for CADO. The wall unit consist of two cabinets with sliding doors, one cabinet which is open at the back and five book shelves ...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- 1960s Danish Rosewood Veneer Wall Unit Bookcase by Poul Cadovius for CadoBy Poul Cadovius, CadoLocated in London, GBA well-sized, multi-functional Rosewood veneered, single wall-hung unit by Poul Cadovius for CADO. - Royal System Shelving Unit. The wall unit dates from the 1960s and is in very...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Poul Cadovius Cado Royal System Wall Unit Shelving Bookcase 1960s 1970s in TeakBy Poul Cadovius, CadoLocated in Markington, GBA wonderful large 5 Bay mid century Danish vintage PS wall unit in teak, this dates from the 1960s. The condition is excellent for its age, little wear to be seen, the teak has a stu...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
Teak$14,051 Sale Price20% Off
- Small Modern Modular Teak Wall Unit by Poul Cadovius for Cado 1960'sBy Cado, Poul CadoviusLocated in Antwerp, BEVintage Danish teak wall unit by Poul Cadovius for Cado, 1960s.This modular system is perfect for use in a small space or as an addition to your already existing modular system. ...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Shelves and Wall CabinetsMaterials
- Rosewood Cado Wall System by Poul Cadovius, 1960sBy Cado, Poul Cadovius, Royal SystemLocated in Miami, FLMidcentury Danish Modern five bay Brazilian rosewood modular wall shelving unit, designed by Poul Cadovius, manufactured by Royal System, Inc. The spectacular wall system feature...Category
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
- Poul Cadovius for Cado Wall Unit in Teak, Denmark, circa 1950By Poul Cadovius, CadoLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandModular Teak wallmounted wall-unit by Poul Cadovius for CADO, Denmark - circa 1950. The wall unit includes a liquer cabinet with curved glass shelve so it can place bottles like whi...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern ShelvesMaterials