Karl Springer Tortoise Style Brass and Penn Shell Coffee Cocktail Table
About the Item
- Creator:Karl Springer (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)Width: 53 in (134.62 cm)Depth: 38.5 in (97.79 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1979
- Condition:no scratches or missing parts. patina to brass, subtle imperfections to the shell tiles inherent to natural material. glass top is even with frame, looks tiny higher as it has protecting felt on the corners that should be removed at installation.
- Seller Location:Miami, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU924034575292
The Berlin-born, New York–based designer Karl Springer brought a chic, high-fashion sensibility to furnishings. During his heyday in the 1970s, Springer’s work was a favorite of the glamour set, who enjoyed the novelty of pieces finished in rich and striking materials that ranged from exotic hides and skins to lacquer and chromed metal. In a sense, Springer was a pre-postmodernist. Much as the dull, safe, corporate sameness of late 20th-century modernism prompted Ettore Sottsass, Michael Graves and others to explore new and provocative structures and materials in design and architecture, so, too, was Springer driven to enliven his creations with fresh and alluring energy and sleekness.
Springer came to New York in the late 1950s and found work arranging window displays at the department store Lord & Taylor. He had studied bookbinding in Germany, and, using his meticulous skills, he began crafting desk accessories wrapped in leather as a sideline. These pieces were sold in luxury stores like Bergdorf Goodman, and drew a sophisticated clientele that included the Duchess of Windsor. By 1965, he had established his own Manhattan atelier, and at his death he had showrooms as far afield as Los Angeles, Tokyo and Munich.
The chairs, tables, credenzas and other furniture forms Springer created are generally simple, but substantial, and often have robust, rounded lines. The appeal of his work lies in Springer's insistence on exacting construction and, above all, his eye for unusual materials and finishes. He employed Lucite, brass, and gunmetal along with chromed and polished steel, and revived exquisite finishes rarely seen since the days of Art Deco masters such as Émile-Jacques Ruhlmann and Jean-Michel Frank: shagreen (a type of sharkskin), python, goatskin, bone, horn, and lacquered parchment, as well as fabrics that include batik prints. Made of such materials, Springer’s work is by its very nature flamboyant and eye-catching: a suite of pieces will astonish, and an artfully placed side table in exotic hide will add a surprising spark.
Find a collection of vintage Karl Springer furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Miami, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Karl Springer Brass and Nickel Vanity MirrorBy Karl SpringerLocated in Miami, FLNice mirror. Vanity or shaving.Brass and nickel. It swivels and one side is magnifying.Category
Vintage 1970s American Table MirrorsMaterials
- Karl Springer Large Double Table Mirror, Brass and Nickel 1980sBy Karl SpringerLocated in Miami, FLSpectacular mirror by Karl Springer. Substantial yet graceful design, achieved by the use of sumptuous and modern materials, an icon by any standard. The double mirror can be tilted....Category
Vintage 1980s American Table MirrorsMaterials
- Patinated Brass Low Coffee Table with Greek Key Design, Laverne StyleBy Philip and Kelvin LaVerneLocated in Miami, FLA low brass coffee table with thick glass top. Very beautiful patina on this table.Category
Vintage 1960s American Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Karl Springer Rare and Monumental Shagreen Pair of Table LampsBy Karl SpringerLocated in Miami, FLA pair of exquisite lamps by Karl Springer. The large spheres are solid wood meticulously covered in shagreen, the Pyramid shades are also wood covered in shagreen. Reportedly just a...Category
Vintage 1970s American Table LampsMaterials
- Karl Springer Large Swivel Magnifying Round MirrorBy Karl SpringerLocated in Miami, FLLargest size this mirror was executed by Karl Springer. One side is 1:1 and the other side is magnifying.Category
Vintage 1970s American Table MirrorsMaterials
- Vladimir Kagan Wood and Stainless Steel Coffee Table, 1970sBy Vladimir KaganLocated in Miami, FLA wood table with chunky mirror polished stainless steel legs. The top has a subtle but beautiful grain pattern. Re-finished in light ebony.Category
Vintage 1970s North American Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Karl Springer Style Tessellated Bone and Coconut Shell Cocktail TableBy Karl SpringerLocated in Houston, TXA vintage tessellated bone and coconut shell coffee or cocktail table with a geometric pattern inspired by Karl Springer. Made in Columbia.Category
20th Century Colombian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- 1980s Karl Springer Style Brass Coffee TableBy Karl SpringerLocated in South San Francisco, CADark Grey Karl Springer Coffee Table with Brass Detail in great condition with light signs of wear along the edges. Unmarked. Dimensions: Width - 42” Height - 18” Pick-up and ...Category
Vintage 1980s Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Karl Springer Style Coffee TableBy Karl SpringerLocated in Brooklyn, NYSquare Mid-Century Modern table with lacquered canvas and metal rim base. (Please confirm item location - NY or NJ - with dealer).Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Karl Springer Style Oxblood Grasscloth Cocktail TableBy Karl SpringerLocated in Locust Valley, NYA Karl Springer style oxblood lacquered grasscloth cocktail table with Asian style feet.Category
Mid-20th Century Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Crushed Shell Veneered Coffee Table by Karl Springer, 1980sBy Karl SpringerLocated in Donhead St Mary, WiltshireA large square crushed shell veneered coffee table by Karl Springer, in deep brown/purple and detailed with fine patinated brass inlay, retains Makers Mark, 1980s. Karl Springer est...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Karl Springer Lacquered Goatskin Mushroom Cocktail Coffee TableBy Karl SpringerLocated in Los Angeles, CADesigned by Karl Springer, a rare and wonderful mushroom cocktail table in lacquered goatskin. The sexy shape and size are perfectly suited for a space requiring a smaller table... t...Category
20th Century Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery