Roche Bobois Coffee Table in Travertine, France, circa 1970
About the Item
- Creator:Roche Bobois (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 16.15 in (41 cm)Width: 55.12 in (140 cm)Depth: 38.59 in (98 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1970
- Condition:Minor structural damages. Condition: Fair.The legs are chipped in some places / There is a very thin hairline crack in the top. It is hardly visible and no problem for use. The bottom of the table was in-factory reinforced with a layer of glued glassfibre Completely original.
- Seller Location:Pijnacker, NL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1712222747462
In 1974, Roche Bobois opened its first showroom in the United States on Madison Avenue in New York City. The celebrated luxury French furniture brand is now in 50 countries with more than 200 stores.
The Roche Bobois story has origins in 1950, when entrepreneur Jacques Roche converted an old Paris theater into two contemporary furniture boutiques so that his sons could help usher stunning Bauhaus-inspired work out of the shops and into French homes nearby. At another showroom called Au Beau Bois, also in the French capital city, the Chouchan family was simultaneously selling home furnishings. The families met later, when Philippe and François Roche convened with Patrick and Jean-Claude Chouchan at a furniture exhibition in Copenhagen in 1960 and afterward produced a catalog announcing their partnership.
Minimal and modernist Scandinavian design had gained prominence in the furniture industry by 1960, rendering designers such as Kaare Klint and Poul Henningsen marquee names — and Roche Bobois's principals had taken notice. Following a national advertising campaign in Elle magazine a year later, the Scandinavian furniture that the newly minted Roche Bobois was importing to Paris became a huge success. Early promotional material from the firm likely included the sleek modular wall units crafted in rosewood by Danish furniture maker Poul Cadovius. It didn’t take long for Roche Bobois to shift toward producing its own contemporary furniture line.
When the popularity of cable television took hold in more major American cities during the 1970s, sofas and other seating became integral to contemporary living-room decor. Roche Bobois’s newly launched Les Contemporains series positioned its own sofas front and center, while also offering pieces like the chic Bambole two-seater — boasting soft duvet cushion covers — designed by Mario Bellini for B&B Italia. Bold works from the company during the decade included Marc Berthier’s Pop Art–colored tubular metal desks and chairs — the latter covered with braided fabric — as well as one of Roche Bobois’s most enduring and well-known pieces, the Mah Jong sectional sofa created by sculptor, painter and designer Hans Hopfer. Anchored by few central elements, this modular lounge sofa can be combined or stacked, giving the buyer total freedom over its appearance and the ability to maximize comfort.
Since its inception, Roche Bobois has worked with many internationally renowned architects and designers on its collections, among them Paola Navone and Vladimir Kagan. Even fashion designers such as Missoni and Emanuel Ungaro have made contributions to the company’s lineup.
In 2010, Roche Bobois marked its 50-year anniversary by debuting a partnership with French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier. A decade later, Roche Bobois teamed up with Portuguese artist Joana Vasconcelos, who designed a collection of organically shaped sofas as well as vibrant, colorful accent pillows and rugs.
Roche Bobois’s offerings over the years have included everything from mid-century modern armchairs to Art Deco case pieces to sculptural outdoor cocktail tables framed in metal wire — shop these classics now on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Pijnacker, Netherlands
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Roche Bobois sofa in patinated Tan / Cognac leather – France, circa 1970/80By Roche BoboisLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandRoche Bobois Leather Sofa – A Masterpiece of French Artistry and Comfort Experience the pinnacle of luxury and design with the Roche Bobois Leather Sofa, a true masterpiece that fuses French artistry with unparalleled comfort. Crafted with precision and passion, this sofa is the embodiment of sophistication and elegance for your living space. Designer: Roche Bobois design team Manufacturer: Roche Bobois Model: sofa Design period: 1970’s Date of manufacturing: circa 1970 Size WDH in cm: 195x98x86 seat height 43 Material: Tan / Cognac leather Condition: Good / Normal signs of age and use / Some light cat scratches on the right back side (see images) Key Features: Exquisite Leather Craftsmanship: Each Roche Bobois Leather Sofa is a testament to the brand’s commitment to excellence. Crafted from the finest, top-grain leather, it exudes a supple, luxurious feel that only improves with time. Timeless Design: The Roche Bobois Leather Sofa showcases a timeless design that effortlessly complements a range of interior styles. Its sleek lines, refined stitching, and contemporary aesthetic make it a statement piece for any room. Customized Elegance: Tailor your sofa to your unique taste with a variety of leather finishes and colors to choose from. Whether you prefer classic neutrals or bold, eye-catching hues, Roche Bobois offers customization options to match your vision. Unmatched Comfort: Sink into the sumptuous cushions of the Roche Bobois Leather Sofa and experience a level of comfort that redefines relaxation. The ergonomic design provides superior lumbar support, making it the perfect spot to unwind after a long day. Durable Luxury: Built to last, Roche Bobois sofas...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Roche Bobois Lounge Armchair in Original Green Patinated Leather – circa 1970By Roche BoboisLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandVery comfortable lounge chair by Roche Bobois, France / Italy – circa 1970. The leather has nice patina with normal signs of age and use. No tears or holes. The chair is labeled Roch...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Mah Jong 20-piece sofa by Hans Hopfer for Roche Bobois, France – circa 1970By Roche Bobois, Hans HopferLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandLarge Mah Jong sectional sofa in original fabric designed by Hans Hopfer for Roche Bobois in original Missoni fabric. France circa 1970. Although not necessary for this item we also offer reupholstery service on request. The damages in the pictures on the two backrest pieces go underneath the cushions so can't be seen in use. Designer: Hans Hopfer Manufacturer: Roche Bobois Model: sectional modular sofa Design period: 1970’s Date of manufacturing: circa 1970 Size WDH in cm: 95x95x70 Seat height with two stacked seat cushions 39 cm. Single seat cushion height 19.5 cm. Material: Missoni fabric / Foam / Wood Condition: Good / The damages in the pictures go underneath the cushions so can't be seen. Price: On request Introducing the Mah Jong Sofa by Hans Hopfer...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Square Travertine Coffee Table in the style of Up&Up Mangiarotti, Italy, 1970By Up&Up, Angelo MangiarottiLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandTravertine coffee table in the manor of Up&Up, circa 1970. Designer: Unknown Manufacturer: Unknown Country: Belgium / France or Italy Model: Square coffee table Materi...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Coffee Table in Steel, Chrome and Glass, circa 1970Located in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandMidcentury coffee table in heavy steel, chrome and glass. Designer: Unknown Manufacturer: Unknown Country: Unknown Model: coffee table Material: Steel / Chrome / Glass Design p...Category
Vintage 1970s European Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Renato Zevi Square Coffee Table in Brass Chrome and Glass, Italy, circa 1970By Romeo Rega, Renato ZeviLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandRenato Zevi square coffee table in chrome, brassed metal and clear glass, Italy – circa 1970. The table is in good condition with signs of age, use and patina. The chrome is overall...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Hollywood Regency Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Travertine Coffee Table by Roche Bobois, France, 1970By Roche BoboisLocated in Saint Rémy de Provence, FRRoche Bobois 1970 travertine coffee table in the shape of an eye. The top rests on 2 independent legs. In a perfect condition. Measure: tray 3 cm.Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- French Coffee Table by Roche Bobois, 1970sBy Roche BoboisLocated in L'Escala, ESThis coffee table by Roche Bobois is produced in France during the 1970s. Rectangular with four large chrome and black lacquered wood leg and a dark smoked glass top. In excellent...Category
Mid-20th Century French Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Teardrop Travertine Coffee Table in Style of Roche BoboisBy Roche BoboisLocated in Zagreb, HRStunning French mid-century coffee table made of travertine stone, attributed to Roche Bobois The design is very similar to the coffee tables made by...Category
Late 20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Roche Bobois, Large Chrome Coffee Table, circa 1970By Roche BoboisLocated in Marcq-en-Barœul, Hauts-de-FranceThis large coffee table is made of chrome. This is a vintage cocktail table of very good quality with 2 clear glass shelves. This is a model by famous French maker Roche Bobois, circ...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Roche Bobois Travertine Stone Modern 2 Piece Triangular Modernist Coffee TableBy Roche BoboisLocated in Philadelphia, PARoche Bobois Travertine Stone Modern 2 Piece Triangular Modernist Coffee Table. Item features a 2 piece construction, beautiful travertine vein...Category
Vintage 1980s Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Black and Gold Rectangular Coffee Table by Roche & Bobois, France 1970By Roche BoboisLocated in PARIS, FRAn elegant and luxurious coffee table, of a Japanese inspiration, Post-Modern, Memphis, Constructivist, geometric structure of two, terrace-like overlapping trays in lacquered wood: ...Category
Vintage 1970s French Post-Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials