- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Walnut and Birch Desk by Axel Einar Hjorth for Nordiska Kompaniet, 1930s
- DimensionsHeight: 30.32 in. (77 cm)Width: 63 in. (160 cm)Depth: 30.71 in. (78 cm)
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Materials and TechniquesBirch,Walnut
- Place of OriginDenmark
- Date of Manufacture1930s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationOdense, DK
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU5686223743972
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$2,899 Express Front Door Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 3-7 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered to the first available dry area outside of your house or building (front door, porch, landing area, garage, etc.).Customs Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Odense, Denmark
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Axel Einar Hjorth
Swedish furniture designer Axel Einar Hjorth (1888–1959) created pieces that were as elegant as they were functional, and he frequently worked in references to a litany of inspirations including French Art Deco, Gustavian style and modernism. Ahead of his time, his style was refined and daringly simple.
Born in Krokek, Sweden, Hjorth grew up in a foster family and at 20 moved to Stockholm where he studied architecture and design at the Högre Konstindustriella Skolan (now the University of Arts, Crafts & Design). Although he dropped out when his foster father died, he went on to work for some of the largest furniture manufacturers in Sweden during the 1920s. His work was featured in the 1923 Gothenburg Exhibition world’s fair, and he exhibited a birch and cherry cabinet in the 1927 Swedish Contemporary Decorative Arts at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. His role as the head of the furniture department at Nordiska Kompaniet (NK), an upscale department store in Stockholm, from 1927 to 1938, further brought his designs to widespread acclaim, including pieces exhibited at the 1929 Barcelona International Exposition.
At the 1930 Stockholm Exhibition, an influential event in the emergence of functionalism in Swedish design, Hjorth exhibited a dozen room settings that featured examples of sportstugemöbler. These furniture lines were named for islands in Sweden’s archipelago — Utö, Blidö and Torö — with designs intended for cabins and vacation homes. The use of solid Swedish pine in these pieces revealed a love of traditional rustic furniture while the simple forms boldly looked to the future. He also brought his eclectic influences to armchairs formed from tubular metal, blocky cabinets made from birch and upholstered sofas with neoclassical details, each exuberantly mixing form and function.
Find Axel Einar Hjorth furniture today on 1stDibs.
- By Axel Einar HjorthLocated in Odense, DKSculptural armchair made in beech. Strong references to Swedish architect Axel Einar Hjorth. It is Axel Einar...Category
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- By Axel Einar HjorthLocated in Odense, DKRare cubic bar cabinet, designed by Axel Einar Hjorth for Nordiska Kompaniet, model "Typenko" in stained birch. ...Category
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Dry BarsMaterials
- Located in Odense, DKExceptionel, elegant freestanding minimalist Art Deco desk in burl wood, made in France, 1930s. A sculptural ...Category
Early 20th Century French Art Deco Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- By Åby Möbler, Axel Einar HjorthLocated in Odense, DKDecorative Armchair / lounge chair in pine and forged iron. Made at Åby Furniture, attributed to Axel Einar Hjor...Category
Vintage 1940s Swedish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- By Axel Einar HjorthLocated in Odense, DKMid century Swedish bed / night stands with drawers in Pine, in the style of Axel Einar Hjorth, made in ca 1950s...Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Night StandsMaterials
- By Axel Einar HjorthLocated in Odense, DKMid century Swedish bench in solid pine, in style of Axel Einar Hjorth, 1950s. Tall enough to be used with a di...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Scandinavian Modern BenchesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Tables
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room Tables
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room Sets
Velvet, Birch, Sycamore
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Desks and Writing Tables
20th Century Swedish Tables
Early 20th Century Swedish Art Deco Side Tables
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Console Tables
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Stools
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery