- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Maitland Smith Leather and Faux Tortoise Table
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 31 in. (78.74 cm)Diameter: 36 in. (91.44 cm)
- StyleHollywood Regency (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1980's
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Very good original, with some patina commensurate with age.
- Seller LocationPalm Springs, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: FTB-08-31stDibs: U1211059085212
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Palm Springs, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Swedish Grace Period Table with Ebonized Carved BaseLocated in Palm Springs, CAOctagonal table with bookmatched Birch veneer top on an ebonized, carved wood base. Unique scroll palmettes on legs show the art deco influence of the period.Category
20th Century Swedish Art Deco Center TablesMaterials
- Excellent English Slate and Marble Mosaic Table with Chinoiserie Tripod BaseLocated in Palm Springs, CAAn exceptional 19th century English tripod table with a mosaic marble and slate intarsia top on a turned and carved baluster support terminating in a dragon-motif carved tripod base;...Category
Antique Early 19th Century British Chinese Chippendale GueridonMaterials
- French Art Deco Mahogany Gueridon in the Style of LeleuBy Jules LeleuLocated in Palm Springs, CAA French Art Deco occasional table with ribbon inlay on a radial veneer top in the style of Jules Leleu.Category
20th Century Art Deco GueridonMaterials
- Karl Springer Style Tessellated Bone Dining Table with Glass TopBy Karl SpringerLocated in Palm Springs, CAMid-Century Modern dining or center table base of tessellated bone. Four legs flow down to a circular base. Unmarked but style of Karl Springer, Enrique Garciel and AmbianceCategory
20th Century Colombian Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Glass, Wood, Bone
- Hollywood Regency Faux Bamboo Mirrored Coffee TableBy William Billy HainesLocated in Palm Springs, CAChic coffee table covered in mirror and framed in faux bamboo trim. Upturned ends with planter pockets.Category
20th Century American Hollywood Regency Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Jansen Faux Bamboo Side TableBy Maison JansenLocated in Palm Springs, CAA lovely side table in the manner of Maison Jansen consisting of four faux bamboo brass legs with acorn finials and brass claw feet, supporting two glass plateaus with shaped edges.Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Center Tables
Vintage 1970s Philippine Hollywood Regency Gueridon
Late 20th Century Philippine Neoclassical Revival Gueridon
20th Century Neoclassical Center Tables
Late 20th Century Philippine Chinoiserie Side Tables
1990s Philippine Hollywood Regency Center Tables
20th Century Hollywood Regency Console Tables
1990s American Center Tables
21st Century and Contemporary Philippine Empire Center Tables
20th Century American Hollywood Regency Center Tables
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery