- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pair of Bert England for Baker Cinnabar Red Asian Modern Stacking Tables
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 22 in (55.88 cm)Width: 26 in (66.04 cm)Depth: 19 in (48.26 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Materials and Techniques:Gesso
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1980s
- Condition:Excellent restored condition.
- Seller Location:Chicago, IL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU84191347560
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Chicago, IL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Bert England East Indian Laurel Side Table with Etched Brass Top for BakerBy Bert England, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Chicago, ILUncommon side table from Baker Furniture's Contemporary collection, designed by Bert England. East Indian laurel wood construction with a geometrically etched brass top.Category
Vintage 1980s American Side TablesMaterials
Brass$2,000 Sale Price20% Off
- Baker Art Nouveau Style Burled Walnut Nesting TablesBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Chicago, ILBurled walnut pair of nesting side tables by Baker Furniture, with a hint of Art Nouveau. Larger table has a distinctive top gallery. Both tables feature a ribbon carved center stret...Category
Vintage 1950s American Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- John Keal Walnut Coffee Table with Three Folding Side TablesBy John KealLocated in Chicago, ILRare coffee table with internal folding snack tables by John Keal for Brown Saltman. Bleached walnut wood square top coffee table with three internal side or snack tables. Each table...Category
Vintage 1950s American Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Charles Pfister for Baker Primavera Mahogany Coffee TableBy Charles Pfister, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Chicago, ILRare Charles Pfister for Baker primavera mahogany coffee table with inlaid olive ash burl center disc. Open pedestal base, parquetry sunburst like top with contrasting grain border.Category
Vintage 1980s American Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Michael Taylor For Baker New World Mahogany Coffee TableBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Chicago, ILClean lined parquetry top square coffee table by Michael Taylor for Baker's New World Collection. Understated detailing with tapered legs that bevel into the recessed panel apron. S...Category
Vintage 1950s American Coffee and Cocktail Tables
- Pair of Baker Cinnabar and Black Patent Leather ArmchairsBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Chicago, ILStriking pair of two open armchairs by Baker, finished in a cinnabar red lacquer. Seats and back upholstered in black patent leather.Category
Vintage 1980s American ArmchairsMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Brass and Cerused Oak Modern CredenzaBy Michael TaylorLocated in New York City, NY1960s Mid-Century Modern brass and oak small credenza designed by Michael Taylor for Baker. Newly restored in dark blue cerused finish.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Paul McCobb for Directional Two-Piece Cream White Sectional Sofa, 1958, BrassBy Paul McCobbLocated in Brooklyn, NYPaul McCobb for Directional, two piece sectional sofa, c 1958. Cream on cream minimal Jacobean floral textile and solid brass. Two parts can be used together as one long sofa or as s...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Baker Brass and Faux Bamboo Hollywood Regency Cocktail TableBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Buchanan, MIA baker brass and faux bamboo Hollywood Regency cocktail table. Faux bamboo base with a glass and brass oval top 16.5" x 44" x 21".Category
Mid-20th Century American Hollywood Regency Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- George Smith Whiskey Mohair Custom Butterfly Armchair, Accent Lounge ChairBy George SmithLocated in Brooklyn, NYGeorge Smith Whiskey Mohair custom butterfly armchair, accent lounge chair. MSRP of over 8500 USD. Each piece of George Smith furniture is meticulously handmade by a team of master j...Category
Late 20th Century British Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Textile, Velvet$4,340 Sale Price30% Off
- Marc Held for Prisunic Molded Fiberglass Bed w Lighted Nightstands c. 1966By Marc Held, PrisunicLocated in Los Angeles, CABe the envy of your friends with this rare and sought after piece of the Pop-Art movement history by Parisian designer Marc Held. In 1966 Held collaborated with Prisunic to design an...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
Fiberglass$5,900 Sale Price / set25% Off
- Gianfranco Frattini for Cassina Nesting / Stacking Tables, Italy, 1970sBy Cassina, Gianfranco FrattiniLocated in London, GBGianfranco Frattini stacking nest of tables for Cassina, Italy, 1970s. Wooden frames and reversible laminate tops (reversible from black to white). With makers labels. Fast shippin...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Nesting Tables and Stacking ...Materials
- Modular Stackable Solid Wood Coffee, Side Tables by Frattini for CassinaBy Cassina, Gianfranco FrattiniLocated in Antwerp, BEArchitectural modular coffee tables executed with four square elements glass top in wooden modular frame. These coffee tables has many options in your living room such as a central c...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Glass, Wenge$4,889 / setFree Shipping
- Oriental Asian Rosewood Tea Table with Set of 4 SeatsLocated in GBWe are so excited to present to you this lovely Oriental Asian rosewood tea table with 4 seats. We have deep cleaned, hand waxed and hand polished the table and seats. Conditio...Category
20th Century Chinese Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Solid Brass Smoked Glass Set of Three Nesting Stacking TablesBy Maison JansenLocated in Rockaway, NJSet of three mid century modern solid brass stacking end tables.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Set of 3 Brass Mirrored Border Glass Tops Nesting Stacking TablesBy Jean Royère, Maison JansenLocated in Rockaway, NJSet of three Italian modern brass and mirrored border glass tops nesting side end tables.Category
20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Asia Modern Coffee Table Attributed to BakerBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in New York, NYDiminutive and graphic Asia Modern coffee table having all-over black finish and brass CAP feet. The finish shows cosmetic wear, light scratching and signs of age and use. Manufactur...Category
Mid-20th Century American Hollywood Regency Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery