Two Nesting Tables by Baker Furniture
About the Item
- Creator:Baker Furniture Company (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 22.25 in (56.52 cm)Width: 23.5 in (59.69 cm)Depth: 18.25 in (46.36 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1960s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. very good vintage condition, nice warm patina, original finish.
- Seller Location:St.Petersburg, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU802932173492
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: St.Petersburg, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Set of Rosewood Nesting TablesLocated in St.Petersburg, FLAn unusual set of three nesting tables, rosewood or chrome cantilevered legs.Category
Vintage 1960s Dutch Modern Nesting Tables and Stacking Tables
- Dunbar Nesting Tables in Sap WalnutBy Edward WormleyLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA classic set of three nesting tables by Edward Wormley for Dunbar ca' 1950's with original green label. Sap walnut with nice patina.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Ico Parisi Nesting Tables, Italy, circa 1950sBy Ico ParisiLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA rare set of three nesting tables with handle cutout and tapering legs. Designed by Ico Parisi and retailed by Singer & Sons. Made of Italian walnut, circa early 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- A Set of Edward Wormley for Dunbar Nesting TablesBy Edward WormleyLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA rare set of E.Wormley for Dunbar nesting tables. Refinished in buff laquer.Category
Vintage 1940s American Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Brass Serving Cart by Osvaldo Borsani, circa 1938By Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA stylish serving cart (carello) by Osvaldo Borsani, Italy, circa 1938. Polished and lacquered brass, original glass (green tinted). Polished.Category
Vintage 1930s Italian Modern Carts and Bar CartsMaterials
- An Unusual Industrial Folding TableLocated in St.Petersburg, FLAn unusual folding table, machined aluminum and heavy leather straps.Category
Vintage 1960s American Console TablesMaterials
- Set of Three Baker Furniture Mahogany Faux Bamboo Nesting TablesBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in West Hartford, CTSet of 3 Baker Mahogany Nesting Tables crafted from rich mahogany wood, these tables exude sophistication and elegance. The nesting design offers versatility and space-saving conveni...Category
Late 20th Century American Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Set Four Bertha Schaefer Style Nesting Tables and Serving TableLocated in Chicago, ILClearly inspired by the set that Ms. Schaefer designed for M. Singer & Sons in 1952, for which she won a Good Design award. Four folding dropleaf tables slide into tracks under the t...Category
20th Century American Serving TablesMaterials
- Nesting Tables in Dark Mahogany for Baker Furniture, 3 in the SetBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in East Hampton, NYA gorgeous Barbara Barry set of nesting tables w/ splayed legs for Baker Furniture. In a rich dark burnt umber mahogany, this set is in great vintage condition (see ALL detail images...Category
1990s American Art Deco Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Baker Furniture Art Deco Style Nesting Tables with Whimsical Geometric MotifsBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Atlanta, GAA pair of Baker Furniture Company Art Deco style wooden nesting tables from the 20th century made of an oval table and a rectangular one, with veneered geometric motifs. Exemplifying...Category
20th Century American Art Deco Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Maison Jansen Midcentury Set of 3 Nesting Tables, Drink, Serving Tables FranceBy Maison JansenLocated in Miami, FLSuperb bronze set of table by Maison Jansen Clear and mirror top glass Dimensions : 22 inches L, 16 inches D, 19 inches H 18 inches L, 14 inches D. 16 inches H 13.5, inches L, 13....Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Milo Baughman style Polished Chrome Glass top Nesting TablesBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Westport, CTSet of Three 1950's Glass top polished Chrome Nesting Tables,some pitting to finish But great looking and period Style Milo Baughman. Measurements large table 21.75x17x 23 high 1...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Nesting Tables and Stacking Ta...Materials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery