- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1930s Side Table by Axel Einar Hjorth for AB Nordiska Kompaniet
- DimensionsHeight: 23.63 in. (60 cm)Width: 19.69 in. (50 cm)Depth: 12.6 in. (32 cm)
- StyleArt Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1930s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU4787225696342
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Axel Einar Hjorth
Swedish furniture designer Axel Einar Hjorth (1888–1959) created pieces that were as elegant as they were functional, and he frequently worked in references to a litany of inspirations including French Art Deco, Gustavian style and modernism. Ahead of his time, his style was refined and daringly simple.
Born in Krokek, Sweden, Hjorth grew up in a foster family and at 20 moved to Stockholm where he studied architecture and design at the Högre Konstindustriella Skolan (now the University of Arts, Crafts & Design). Although he dropped out when his foster father died, he went on to work for some of the largest furniture manufacturers in Sweden during the 1920s. His work was featured in the 1923 Gothenburg Exhibition world’s fair, and he exhibited a birch and cherry cabinet in the 1927 Swedish Contemporary Decorative Arts at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. His role as the head of the furniture department at Nordiska Kompaniet (NK), an upscale department store in Stockholm, from 1927 to 1938, further brought his designs to widespread acclaim, including pieces exhibited at the 1929 Barcelona International Exposition.
At the 1930 Stockholm Exhibition, an influential event in the emergence of functionalism in Swedish design, Hjorth exhibited a dozen room settings that featured examples of sportstugemöbler. These furniture lines were named for islands in Sweden’s archipelago — Utö, Blidö and Torö — with designs intended for cabins and vacation homes. The use of solid Swedish pine in these pieces revealed a love of traditional rustic furniture while the simple forms boldly looked to the future. He also brought his eclectic influences to armchairs formed from tubular metal, blocky cabinets made from birch and upholstered sofas with neoclassical details, each exuberantly mixing form and function.
Find Axel Einar Hjorth furniture today on 1stDibs.
- Located in London, LondonSet of three side tables Travertine Varying heights Can be configured in different ways Measures: He...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Located in London, LondonCoffee table or side table Travertine Made to order in Italy Size can be customized Different marble...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cock...Materials
- Located in London, LondonA pair of bedside tables Brushed aluminium Brass rim and corners Very good quality Probably Italian, 1970s ...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Side TablesMaterials
- Located in London, LondonA pair of side tables Two-tier Brass frame Smoked glass shelves Circular Italy, 1970s.Category
Late 20th Century Italian Hollywood Regency Side TablesMaterials
- Located in London, LondonBlack side table Two glass shelves Brass handle Italian, 1950s.Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Located in London, LondonPair of side table étagères Three tier Brass and églomisé glass Reeded legs Unusual feet and pineapp...Category
Mid-20th Century French Hollywood Regency Side TablesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1930s Swedish Art Deco Side Tables
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Stools
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room Sets
Velvet, Birch, Sycamore
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Tables
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Console Tables
Mid-20th Century Scandinavian Side Tables
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery