CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Round Side Table
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 22.5 in (57.15 cm)Width: 25.25 in (64.14 cm)Depth: 25.25 in (64.14 cm)
- Style:Chinoiserie (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1980's
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Exceptionally good condition with signs of light previous use. Structurally sound and sturdy. Condition Rating: 9.0 / 10.0.
- Seller Location:Charlotte, NC
- Reference Number:Seller: 230505AG00001531stDibs: LU6025234328602
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Charlotte, NC
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie End Side TableBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style side table by high-quality furniture maker Century, from their Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple hardwood with brass hardware, inlaid banded top ...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Side TablesMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Gentleman's Chest - ABy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style gentleman's chest by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple with black lacquer trim, brass ...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Gentleman's Chest - BBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian Style gentleman's chest by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple, brass hardware, banded top wit...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Triple DresserBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian Style triple dresser by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple, brass hardware, banded top with o...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie DressersMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Bedside ChestBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style bedside chest by high-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Maple hardwood with burl maple veneers, black...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Night StandsMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Dining Side Chairs - Pair BBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCA pair of Asian Chinoiserie style dining side chairs by high-quality furniture maker Century. From their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Maple hardwood with black lacqu...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Maple, Lacquer
- Mid Century Chin Hua Side Tables or Nightstands by Raymond Sobota for CenturyBy Raymond SabotaLocated in Bedford Hills, NYBeautiful pair of Hollywood Regency side tables or nightstands by Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture.Category
Late 20th Century American Hollywood Regency Side TablesMaterials
- 1970s Century Furniture Chin Hua Table by Raymond K. SabotaBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Waxahachie, TXA rare monotone Chin Hua by Raymond K Sabota Burl Nightstand/ end table/ coffee table. Features beautiful walnut burlwood and Chinese style brass hardware on 2 hinged doors. It is in...Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie End TablesMaterials
- 62" Chin Hua Dining Table by Raymond Sobota for Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXChin Hua dining table by Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture Raymond Karl Sobota (1914-2010) Dining table designed by Raymond K. Sobota for th...Category
Late 20th Century North American Chinoiserie Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Chinoiserie Chin Hua Ebonized Dining Set by Raymond K. Sobota, 8 Piece SetBy Century Furniture, Raymond K. SobotaLocated in Chicago, ILHollywood Regency Chinoiserie Chin Hua Ebonized Dining Set By Raymond K. Sobota for Century Furniture - 8 Piece Set This gorgeous Asian Style dining set...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Dining Room SetsMaterials
Fabric, Maple, Burl
- Vintage Chinoiserie Rectangular Black Accent or Side Table by BakerBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Topeka, KSHandsome vintage Chinoiserie rectangular black painted accent or side table by Baker. Beautiful condition, keeping in mind that this is vintage and not new so will have signs of use ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Chinoiserie End TablesMaterials
- Century Furniture Mid-Century Burlwood Side TableBy Century FurnitureLocated in Countryside, ILCentury Furniture mid-century burlwood side table The side table measures: 19 wide x 19 deep x 29.5 inches high All pieces of furniture can ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery