- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Harvey Probber Mahogany End Table Nighstand
- CreatorHarvey Probber (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 26 in (66.04 cm)Width: 24 in (60.96 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1950s
- ConditionRefinished. Refinished condition.
- Seller LocationBrooklyn, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1560229144012
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Brooklyn, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
A popular designer who had his heyday from the late 1940s into the 1970s, Harvey Probber is one of the post-war American creative spirits whose work has been recently rediscovered by collectors. His designs are by-and-large simple and elegant, but his signal achievement was to pioneer one of the key innovations of mid-20th century furniture: sectional, or modular, seating.
Even as a teenager, the Brooklyn-born Probber was making sketches of furniture designs — and selling them to Manhattan furniture companies. He began working as a designer for an upholsterer once he finished high school and, apart from a few evening classes he took as an adult at the Pratt Institute, he was self-taught about design and furniture making.
After wartime service — and a stint as a lounge singer — Probber founded his own company in the late 1940s. A lifelong familiarity with the needs of New York–apartment dwellers doubtless sparked his most noteworthy creation: a line of seating pieces in basic geometric shapes — wedges, squares, half-circles — that could be arranged and combined as needed. Modular furniture remained the core idea of Probber’s business throughout his career.
As a self-trained designer, Probber was never wed to any particular aesthetic. He preferred simple lines for their inherent practicality, but often used hardware to enliven the look of his pieces, or added elements — such as a ceramic insert in the center of a round dining table — that was visually interesting and could serve as a trivet. He gravitated toward bright fabrics with attractive, touchable textures that might be satin-like or nubbly. Above all, Probber insisted that the products that came out of his Fall River, Massachusetts, factory be built to last.
“The quality of aging gracefully,” Probber once told an interviewer, is “design's fourth dimension.” This quality he realized: Probber furniture is just as useful and alluring now as it was when made — and maybe even more stylish.
- Harvey Probber Style Hexagonal Floor Lamp Side TableBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Brooklyn, NYMid-Century Modern, Moroccan inspired, floor lamp in the style of Harvey Probber features a cut-out, hexagonal table base at 22 inches height with brass accents. The shade shown is n...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Custom Mid Century Modern Terrazzo Pedestal Side Table By Harvey ProbberBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Brooklyn, NYMid-Century Modern side table custom ordered by Harvey Probber with octagonal, mosaic, terrazzo top by Probber and walnut pedestal base by Masellino Scarpetti.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Pair of Midcentury Moroccan Hexagonal Walnut Stools after Harvey ProbberBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Brooklyn, NYPair of midcentury, Moroccan influenced stools or side tables in the manner of Harvey Probber feature hexagonal, walnut bases and black vinyl tops. The tops can be replaced with a fl...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
Faux Leather, Walnut
- Pair of Moroccan Arabesque Mahogany Cut-Out End TablesBy Harvey Probber, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Brooklyn, NYPair of stunning, low, square, mahogany end tables in the style of Harvey Probber feature streamlined, Moroccan, arabesque cut-outs along their sides.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Harvey Probber Oval Rosewood Extension Dining Table With Cut-Out BaseBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Brooklyn, NYMid-Century Modern, extension dining table by Harvey Probber features a 2.5 inch thick, oval rosewood top with an ebonized mahogany base with Moroccan cut-out detail. The table exten...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Terrazzo Walnut Oblong Coffee Table by Harvey ProbberBy Harvey ProbberLocated in Brooklyn, NYMid-Century Modern, coffee table by Harvey Probber features an oblong, oval, terrazzo stone top with sculptural walnut base.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern End Tables
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End Tables
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern End Tables
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End Tables
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern End Tables
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End Tables
Vintage 1950s American Side Tables
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery