( two Works From the Playing Cards Series ) Signed, by Donald Sultan.
About the Item
- Creator:Parasol Press (Workshop/Studio),Donald Sultan (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 25 in (63.5 cm)Width: 18.75 in (47.63 cm)Depth: 1.5 in (3.81 cm)
- Style:Art Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1991
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Dallas, TX
- Reference Number:Seller: NB1stDibs: LU867735804712
Donald Sultan is a distinguished painter, sculptor, and printmaker who rose to prominence in the late 1970s as part of the “New Image” movement in New York City.
Sultan has a unique artistic method and innovative approach to traditional subject matter. Known as Abstract Representation, Sultan’s paintings, prints and other art are characterized by the use of geometric black forms set against organic areas of bright color, thus bringing an abstract sensibility to his iconographic images of still life. Throughout his career he has revisited and reinvented still life, using images of lemons, poppies, playing cards, fruits, flowers, and other objects. Sultan’s lemons, a recurrent theme in his artworks, have in fact become an iconic image all over the world.
“All of the images of those dark pictures are really about the architecture in the paintings; they seem so massive and strong and permanent, but nothing is permanent,” Sultan has said. “The image in the front is very fragile, but it conveys the loaded meaning of everything that is contained in the painting.”
Sultan is considered to be at the forefront of contemporary art. Although his paintings are often classified as landscapes and still lifes, Sultan states that they are first and foremost abstracts. Besides paintings, drawings, and sculptures, he has created many editions. Sultan’s prints are unique: he uses specific materials like “flocking” to create expressive and powerful prints that are reminiscent of his forceful paintings. Since his first solo exhibition in 1977, Sultan’s artistic career has progressed rapidly; his works are part of the most prominent public and private collections to be found across the globe.
Find original Donald Sultan art on 1stDibs.
(Biography provided by Weng Contemporary — ArtXX AG)
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Dallas, TX
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Saint George and the Dragon Medallion / Wall PlaqueBy Benedetto PistrucciLocated in Dallas, TXlarge medallion / wall plaque of Saint George and the Dragon, "Classical Greek Style" after Benedetto Pistrucci's (1783-1855), Principal Engineer and Chief Medalist of the Royal Mint...Category
Antique Early 19th Century English Classical Greek Decorative ArtMaterials
- Grand Tour Portrait Plaques / Perseus and Alexander the GreatLocated in Dallas, TXa pair of Grand Tour souvenir bronze bas relief portrait plaques mounted in wooden frames with ring hangers (left) bust of Perseus, (right) bust of...Category
Antique Late 19th Century French Neoclassical Decorative ArtMaterials
- Oil on Canvas of an Abstract View of Rome by Andre CottavozBy André CottavozLocated in Dallas, TXOil on canvas of an abstract view of Rome by Andre Cottavoz ( French, 1922-2012 ) Signed lower left and dated verso for 1961. with French gallery tag affixed verso. France. 20th cent...Category
20th Century French Expressionist Decorative ArtMaterials
- "Ship Entering the Canal" by Dutch Artist CossaarBy Jacobus Cornelis Wyand CossaarLocated in Dallas, TX"Ship Entering the Canal" / Boating on the Thames by Dutch painter Cossaar (1874-1966), signed lower left, in tones typical of a grey day, realistically depicted with an impressionis...Category
Early 20th Century English PaintingsMaterials
- Pair of Louis XVI-style Two Light Sconces by Edward F. Caldwell & Co., New YorkBy Edward F. Caldwell & Co.Located in Dallas, TXA pair of , beautifully cast, gilt bronze two light sconces in the Louis XVI style. Edward F. Caldwell and Co., New York. Measurements- 14.75" H x 8.75"W x 5.25"DCategory
Early 20th Century American Louis XVI Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- Pair of Neoclassic Style Two-Light SconcesLocated in Dallas, TXA pair of sconces in the neoclassic style with two gilt bronze candleholders backed by an oval white marble framed with black marble.Category
Antique Early 19th Century French Neoclassical Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- Russian Playing Cards "The Imperial playing cards Factory St. Petersburg"Located in Delft, NLRussian playing cards "The Imperial playing cards Factory St. Petersburg" Russian playing cards by manufacture the Imperial playing cards Fact...Category
Antique 19th Century Unknown Decorative ArtMaterials
- "Lilies" Signed and Dated Serigraph by Donald SultanBy Donald SultanLocated in Stamford, CT"Lilies" signed and dated serigraph by Donald Sultan (American b. 1951). # 35/70.Category
1990s North American Modern Contemporary ArtMaterials
- English 18th Century Playing CardsBy Fine English CompanyLocated in Delft, NL13 colored English 18th century playing cards, Hunts & Sons Hunts & Sons (1789-1801) playing cards in the shape of a clover playing car...Category
Antique 18th Century British Decorative ArtMaterials
- 19th Century Caricature Playing CardsLocated in Delft, NL32 pieces caricature playing cards, 19th century Caricature 19th century playing cards printed on one page 32 pieces hand colored Framed and behind glass The size is 68...Category
Antique 19th Century British Decorative ArtMaterials
- David Weege 18th Century Playing CardsLocated in Delft, NL27 pieces of copper engraved playing cards 27 pieces copper engraved playing cards as well lottery game cards in the shape of playing hart card, framed and behind glass, circa 1...Category
Antique Mid-18th Century Dutch Decorative ArtMaterials