This large modernist oil painting of a winterscape was painted by Hungarian American artist Gabor Peterdi (1915-2001). Peterdi was born in Pestujhely, Hungary, studied at the Hungarian Academy of Fine Arts, the Academy Belle in Rome and the Academy Julian in Paris, and later emigrated to the United States, settling in Connecticut. He also spent time in Hawaii as a teacher at the Honolulu Academy of Art and at the Brooklyn Art School from 1948-1952 and Hunter College in New York City from 1952-1959. He then taught at Yale University School of Art from 1960-1970. Peterdi is best known for his intaglio prints and engravings, although he worked in a variety of media and themes. Oil on canvas, signed and dated '57 lower right, as well as signed, dated 1957, and titled “Winter II” on verso stretcher, with a partial Kanegis Gallery, Newbury Street, Boston, MA label, and housed in a simple wooden frame.
- CreatorGabor Peterdi (Artist)
- In the Style Of
- Place of origin
- Date of manufacture1957
- ConditionExcellent. Above measurements include frame. Actual painting measures 48 inches h x 72 inches w/ water staining visible on verso canvas. Minor imperfections, would benefit from light cleaning. Please contact us directly with inquiries before purchasing..
- WearWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor fading.
H 49.38 in. x W 73.13 in. x D 1.13 in.
H 125.43 cm x W 185.76 cm x D 2.88 cm
- Seller locationMilford, NH
- Seller reference number4924
- Reference numberLU93394999843
About the Seller
1stdibs seller since 2012
Typical response time: 4 hrs
Located in Milford, NH
You may also contact the seller by phone
Why Shop on 1stdibs?
Only Vetted, Professional Sellers
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Fully Insured Global Deliveries
More From This Seller
You May Also Like