Items Similar to "Nude with Umbrella," Mid-Century Modern Male Nude by du Bois, Tony Award Winner
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 5
"Nude with Umbrella," Mid-Century Modern Male Nude by du Bois, Tony Award Winner
Vividly painted in tones of turquoise, canary yellow and warm brown, this extraordinary depiction of a slender Black male nude holding an umbrella -- in our opinion a Mid-Century Modern masterpiece with hints of Surrealism -- was painted by Raoul Pène du Bois. Famed as a scenic and costume designer for dozens of Broadway productions beginning in the 1930s, du Bois won Tony awards for scenic design (Wonderful Town), and for costume design (No, No Nanette). Among the many other shows he designed were the Ziegfeld Follies (1934), Jumbo (1935), Du Barry was a Lady (1939), and Charley's Aunt (1953). This painting demonstrates his mastery of the human figure, expressed in his usual Mannerist, attenuated way. The painting is oil on paper, and is marked with du Bois' estate stamp on the reverse. (Dimensions include frame).
- CreatorRaoul Pene du Bois (Painter)
- DimensionsHeight: 33 in. (83.82 cm)Width: 26.5 in. (67.31 cm)Depth: 1 in. (2.54 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1950s
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU865116732281
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$175 Standard Parcel Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 3-5 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in Philadelphia, PA
5 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 2005
1stDibs seller since 2009
254 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 1 hour
More From This Seller
- By Raoul Pene du BoisLocated in Philadelphia, PAThis very large and energetic sketch, depicting several nude figures stepping forward through a circular opening...Category
Vintage 1940s American Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
- By Raoul Pene du BoisLocated in Philadelphia, PAPowerful and eloquent, this drawing by Raoul Pene du Bois showcases his mastery of the human figure, expressed w...Category
Vintage 1940s American Art Deco Drawings
- By Raoul Pene du BoisLocated in Philadelphia, PABrilliantly hued and striking in composition, this painting by famed Broadway designer Raoul Pene du Bois is one...Category
Vintage 1950s American Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
- By Emlen EttingLocated in Philadelphia, PAProvocative and unapologetic, this watercolor depiction of a fully nude sailor sprawled across his bed, his unif...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
- By Mark Allen IsaacsonLocated in Philadelphia, PAThis large and important portrait contrasts a modern African American male nude with two other figures in an art...Category
Vintage 1970s American PaintingsMaterials
- By Paul SwanLocated in Philadelphia, PAAn extraordinary work by an increasingly important and fascinating artist, "Nudes on Hypnos" was painted by Paul...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
You May Also Like
Signed Mid-Century Modern Nude by Virginia Emmons
By Virginia Emmons
Located in Redding, CT
Signed Mid-Century Modern nude by Virginia Emmons. Virginia Emmons was born in Central Massachusetts. Majored in art at Pratt Institute and continued study at Grand Central School a...
Vintage 1950s American Paintings
$2,880 Sale Price
Male Nude by Faye Swengel Badura
By Faye Swengel Badura
Located in Oaks, PA
Male nude oil on canvas by New Hope School modernist Faye Swengel Badura (1904-1991). 23.75"Wide x 37.5"High Gilt WoodFramed, Canvas is 19.25"Wide x 33.5"High This item is presently ...
20th Century American Paintings
Large Abstract Male Nude by Shawn Savage
By Shawn Savage
Located in Pasadena, CA
Large-scale abstract male blue nude by renowned artist Shawn Savage. Acrylic on canvas. Newly framed in a matte black floating frame.
Vintage 1980s Paintings
Original Mid-Century Original Painting of A Male by Hollywood Artist
Located in Palm Springs, CA
Ray C. Grimes (1907-1962) was a Hollywood artist know as "portrait artist to the stars". This important painting from the artist's personal collection is for the 1st time. A study of...
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Paintings
Mid-Century Modern Abstract Oil Painting, Nude Portrait by Skipper Mize, c1960
Located in Big Flats, NY
A Mid-Century Modern abstract oil painting on board by Skipper Mize offers impressionist full length nude portrait of figure, artist signed lower right, seated in matting and frame, ...
Late 20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern Paintings
$760 Sale Price
Midcentury Abstract Expressionist Male Nude Portrait by Lois Foley Whitcomb
By Lois Foley
Located in Brooklyn, NY
Oil nude portrait by Lois Foley Whitcomb. Dimensions: 40" by 29 3/4" Condition: Very good vintage condition. Foley was born in Groton, Vermont, in 1937, and studied drawing and ...
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Paintings
$2,990 Sale Price
Mid Century Batik Painting of Nude with Flower
Located in Miami, FL
Beautiful Batik painting of a nude in a landscape holding a flower.
Vintage 1950s Malaysian Paintings
Modern Nude by Kessler
Located in North Miami, FL
Large modern nude painting by Larry Kessler. Has beautiful texture and brush mark. Signed LK and dated 03.
Early 2000s American Modern Contemporary Art
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery
More Ways To Browse
Midcentury Modern Danish Painting
Paintings By Belgian Artists
Oil Paintings Of Dogs
Pair Hand Painted Panels
Painting Large Blue Modern
Large Deco Painting
Large 19th Century Portraits Paintings
Tree Wood Wall